Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I'm planning to order the DT Swiss Competition 2.0/1.8 but cannot figure out the size: 288 / 290 / 292 / 294 / 296 / 298 ?

I'm so confused trying to use either the dtswiss spoke calculator or the spocalc.
I get different values in either !!!

I'm trying to build a 700 x 28 wheel (32 holes) to convert my XC to an urban bike.

Can you please help me out in finding the right size of spokes, if I supply some info and values about the parts I'll be using?

(The weight and the dimensions are from the Shimano's tech documents.)

Rim: Mavic Open Pro (Black)
ERD (Effective Rim Diameter): 605 mm (spocalc) / 604 mm (dtswiss calculator)
Weight: 435 g (dtswiss calculator)​

Front hub: Shimano Deore XT HB-M756
Weight: 244 g
Flange diameter: 61 mm
Over lock nut dimension: 100 mm
Center to flange (left): 35,8 mm
Center to flange (right): 35,8 mm​

Rear hub: Shimano Deore XT FH-M756
Weight: 435 g
Flange diameter: 61 mm
Over lock nut dimension: 135 mm
Center to flange (left): 32,15 mm
Center to flange (right): 18,55 mm​

Total number of spokes: 32
3-cross

Thanks for any help in advance.

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
And what happens if the info you're given isn't right? Nobody takes back used spokes and they will be used when you're 9/10ths finished and find out they're not right. You must measure the parts yourself (others' info can be wrong there too!) and find a calculator you trust. Try Roger Musson's Wheelpro Spoke Calculator. He wrote it, he shows you how to measure your parts so that the numbers work with his calculator. Order his e-book while you're at it and get the full monty.

That's it.

·
Registered
522 Posts
+1 on Roger Musson's book! I keep a permanent shortcut to his e-book on the desktop so it's easily accessible.

·
Registered
97 Posts
FWIW, I have had good results with spocalc. I've built at least 4 sets of wheels and not had a problem with spoke calc. If you use spocalc, make sure you are looking at the right number of spoke crossings or input the correct number you want. It is not a big deal to be off by 1mm or 2 from the ideal length.

Look at a number of internet sellers for ERD and hub dimensions, see if there is some general agreement on the dimensions of your parts. Universal, Bikeman, Pricepoint, Webcyclery and Jenson often supply the dimensions important to wheelbuilding.

ERD is the hardest dimension to measure, hub dimensions can be done pretty easily with any caliper. Mavic open pro is one of the most common rims. The range of spoke lengths you are getting for same rims and hubs that have same size flanges is a sign that something is wrong. I trust spocalc as long as the various dimensions you input are good.

If you want to be sure, you could always order your spokes at your local bike shop and tell them what rims and hubs you are using. Let them figure it out. Bring the parts in case they want to measure. Then it is up to them to figure out the length and make sure it is right.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Mike T., JD1, wmodavis and James Lee, for your concern and the information.
(I've been away from the computer for 2 days and just find time to read the posts.)

Checking and comparing the calculations in spocalc and bikeschool.com's calculator I see that the sizes are close and as James Lee said, it's really not a big deal to be off (or on) 1mm or 2 from the ideal length.

And I added the Musson's book in my "favorites", in case I'll need it some time.

Thanks once again!

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
don qvixote said:
it's really not a big deal to be off (or on) 1mm or 2 from the ideal length
It's the accepted norm to be within +/-1mm from the un-rounded original calculator number. Let's use the number 275.2 for instance. Go up to 276 rather than down to 274. Not many places stock odd length spokes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.