Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a vp-free and its got a double chainring up front. they are 22 and 32 teeth. im using the bike for AM, Freeride,and downhill. i want to put two bigger rings up on the front but im a little confused, if i go too small i wont be able to go fast enough for my dh and freeriding, but too high and i will not be able to climb very well. i do some XC racing and im a decent climber and can use a fairly high ring but i dont want to go to high. i was thinking like a 30-38 or something. any advice.?

·
Registered
779 Posts
theres nothing wrong with putting a big ring on there (42t, 44t) and adding a big-ring bashgaurd.
are you totally adverse to putting on a third ring? or is there something else thats preventing you?
a lot of XC racers looking to save to weight/trouble they run a 2x9 setup with 28/42 rings up front and an 11-34 cassette to get a full range. if your not doing any super slow northshore-style ladder bridges or anything and your legs are strong you can certainly get away with 28-34 for your lowest gear.

·
Registered
779 Posts
absolutely, you can ad a 3rd ring and buy a simple salsa, or raceface bashgaurd that fits a 42t or 44t chainring. the bashgaurds come with extralong chainring bolts to replace the ones you already have. the extralong bolts will connect the bashgaurd, big ring, crankarm spider, and middle ring.

·
Fort Valley = Gnarl Fest
603 Posts
Twomany, are you using a chain guide (an E-13 DRS or anything of the likes) because if so, it will not be compatible with 3 chain rings

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
I run 26-36 w/e.13 bash on my Saint cranks, on my VP Free. It'll give you plenty of pedal.
I don't feel the need for a bigring, I just get off of th' brakes.

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
man w/ one hand said:
I run 26-36 w/e.13 bash on my Saint cranks, on my VP Free. It'll give you plenty of pedal.
I don't feel the need for a bigring, I just get off of th' brakes.
Yeah, 34 or 36 x 11 is plenty for most times you need to pedal.

·
Registered
47 Posts
twomanywh33ls said:
i have a vp-free and its got a double chainring up front. they are 22 and 32 teeth. im using the bike for AM, Freeride,and downhill. i want to put two bigger rings up on the front but im a little confused, if i go too small i wont be able to go fast enough for my dh and freeriding, but too high and i will not be able to climb very well. i do some XC racing and im a decent climber and can use a fairly high ring but i dont want to go to high. i was thinking like a 30-38 or something. any advice.?
I didn't like the typical 22 / 32 setup which Shimano and Race Face push. My VP-Free is setup with Saint M805 cranks, TA 24T and 36T rings, E-13 Supercharger 36t bashring and E-13 DRS chain guide. I run a Shimano XTR Titanium 11-34 rear cassette.

I think you'll find the 24/36 combination a nice compromise and offers a nice spread of gear ratios. This may seem obvious, but don't forget that you'll need to install a new chain if you going to bigger rings.

All the best,
Rich

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.