Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Avenger of Evil
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a Sachs 2 speed rear hub sitting around for years, and thought I would use it on my single speed. The only problem is, I cannot find the axle nuts for it. I can't even find out what the size and thread pitch are. Does anyone know what size axle nuts I need?
Thanks.

·
Avenger of Evil
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cegrover said:
You might want to consider a different thread title...yikes!
I thought you would like that...:)
I have a thred pitch guage, both metric and SAE...no luck. I understand it is something strange.
It looks to be somewhere between 10mm and 12mm, but I don't have a guage for 11mm.
I have done some research with local bike shops, and the answer I get is .."Good luck, When you find out what it is, let us know".

·
WHEELVALUTION
222 Posts
I would go with the hardware store as well,try to find one that caters for tradesman as well as they have more selection of nut size and they will look at your nuts and size them up for you

·
Avenger of Evil
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys.
I took it into Fastenal, and they looked it over like they were fromNASA and it just fell out of the sky. No luck.
I thought someone might know.
Oh well. Back in the box it goes.

·
HIYAH
754 Posts
1440Brad said:
Thanks guys.
I took it into Fastenal, and they looked it over like they were fromNASA and it just fell out of the sky. No luck.
I thought someone might know.
Oh well. Back in the box it goes.
If fastenal did not have it...well, this is very bad news.

·
Welsh Dave
254 Posts
I had the same problem when I wanted to re-space my 3-speed Sachs Torpedo from a 120mm to 135mm:

1. There was no Sachs axle available in that longer length;
2. I couldn't use a "normal" 135mm axle as my LBS said Sachs used a non-standard axle diameter and thread pitch.

ISTR somebody mentioned 10.5mm?

Marco at HubStripping.Com will definitely know.
He might even have some axle nuts going spare, as he has recently obtained a stash of Sachs 2-speed hubs in the "automatic" and "kickback" models.

If all else fails, I'm moving to Berlin next month, where there are thousands of old Sachs hubs cluttering up bike shops.

Maybe I could mail you some "Zechs Nuts" (in a plain, discrete wrapper, obviously ;) )

·
Avenger of Evil
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Welsh Dave said:
I had the same problem when I wanted to re-space my 3-speed Sachs Torpedo from a 120mm to 135mm:

1. There was no Sachs axle available in that longer length;
2. I couldn't use a "normal" 135mm axle as my LBS said Sachs used a non-standard axle diameter and thread pitch.

ISTR somebody mentioned 10.5mm?

Marco at HubStripping.Com will definitely know.
He might even have some axle nuts going spare, as he has recently obtained a stash of Sachs 2-speed hubs in the "automatic" and "kickback" models.

If all else fails, I'm moving to Berlin next month, where there are thousands of old Sachs hubs cluttering up bike shops.

Maybe I could mail you some "Zechs Nuts" (in a plain, discrete wrapper, obviously ;) )
Thanks Dave.
I will get ahold of Marco, and see what he has.:thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.