Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to buy an Giant Anthem 0 and am hoping I can get it very soon. However, I'm still not sure if I should be getting the small or medium. I'm 5 feet, 7.5 inches and my inseam is 30 inches(not sure how eXact this is). My current bike is a 2005 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 100. I love my 30 lb Specialized and my body postion on the bike feels excellent. My medium Specialized has top tube length of 23.1 inches and a standover height of 28.5. The Giant Anthem 0 is 22.6 inches top tube and 30.4 inches standover for the small and 23.4 inches top tube and 31.2 inches standover for the medium. My Specialized top tube length is almost right between the small and medium Anthem top tube lengths. But the Specialized standover height is much less than both the small and medium Anthem. I've been told by some that the standover height is really not that important and that I should really be looking more at the top tube length and how my body position feels sitting on the bike. I did go to a bike shop and I was able to stand over a medium Anthem 0. It didn't really feel big on me --- I could still pull the bike up underneath me about 2.5 inches.

Would you recommend that I go with the small or medium sized Anthem 0. All responses are welcome, especially from those of you who already have an Anthem 0.

·
EXORCIZE
2,242 Posts
I owned a 2006 Anthem 1 and was suprised at how small the 22" felt. I normally ride about a 21. My guess would be to go for the medium in that the seat tube measurements feel smaller in person then they read on paper. These bikes have relatively short effective top tubes and so the next larger size (medium) might be appropriate for you. Traditional rational is that the top tube is the most important measurement, then seat tube length. The seat tube doesn't matter as much b/c its easily adjustable, although you don't want the seat to be too short or tall when compared to your bars. I've never worried much about standover, espcially on a xc bike. All-mountain - well, that's another story.

Btw, are you planning on racing? I soon got rid of the Anthem b/c, as nice as it felt in the parking lot, it revealed itself to be a twitchy race bike (faster steering than your FSR) once on rockier trails. Granted, it came with narrow (23"?) bars and skinny tires which I could have switched out to make it a more flexible trail bike, but I sold it b/c of the inherently fast steering and low bottom bracket/pedal clearnace that are appropriate for a race bike, but not for me. I own a Trance and love it. More cush, slower steering, more clearance (though still not enough for my rocky environs). Waaaay more confidence on harrier rides.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Medium all the way

I recently bought a 18" 06 anthem 1 (basically the same bike as '07 anthem 0) and was riding a stumpjumper ht before. I too thought the sj fit me perfectly and wasn't sure on the the anthem size. When a first rode the anthem I was afraid of it being too big (I'm 5'9" with a little under 30" inseam) but I was surprised at how good the size felt. Even with my short legs standover height wasn't bad at all and the top tube fits perfectly. So I would say go for the medium. I've never ridden a small frame, but I think it would feel way too small, plus if you've ridden medium and it feel good I say go for it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Ryder1, glk, thanks for taking time to respond......

Ryder1, you make a good point there about the steering. Yes, I'm actually buying this bike for racing. Someone had already told me about the possible fast steering because of the 72 degrees head tube angle. I can't find another race bike that has a head tube angle as large as this. My Specialized is 70.5 degree, my brother's Santa Cruz Blur XC is 71 degrees (he hasn't complained about steering). I talked to him and I told him that since the Anthem is only 1 degree more I probably won't feel a difference. But now that I hear what you say, it makes me worried that I will have the same steering problems as you. I plan to use it only for racing-- but only courses that I know are not very rocky.

Was the steering really that bad that you decided to sell your bike? Did you have a lot of crashes and a lot of times where you were very close to going down? Is it true that your weight is centered more towards the front so it's easy to go over the bars? This makes me a little nervous, as I really want that Anthem 0 but I want to be comfortable on the bike course. I was really set on the Santa Cruz Blur but when I saw the Anthem 0, and what I get for the price (as well as the weight of the bike), I've pretty much decided to get it. Now I'm wondering if I'd also get rid of it.

By the way, I would be changing the handlebar to the 26 inch Easton Monkeylite XC.............

I would love to hear from others out there who have ridden the Anthem 0 on different terrain. Thanks.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I think you should get a 22"/XL, send it to me to test for you and then I'll shrink it and send it back once I've OK it's performance :D Jus kiddin :D

Seriously, if you're worried about the bikes twitchyness why not consider going for a 100mm fork instead of the 80mm that seems to come on the US versions (Aus versions come w/ a 100mm) Or sacrifice a bit of weight and get a "wind down/travel adjust" fork that goes from 85-115, like say a REBA Race U-Turn.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Go the small. I am 5'9 and had the same decision to make. I was previously on a 17" Stumpy Hardtail and the top tube length (575mm) was smack in the middle of the two Giant sizes. The small anthem comes with a 90mm stem, so I put a 105mm stem on it and it is spot on. Wheelbase of the small anthem is the same as my old hardtail which is also a plus.

Only downside is that I can't fit a large sized bottle in the frame.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
124 Posts
im 5'9" and have a 31" inseam and may balls sat on the toptube of the m so i got the small and it fits great. the wheelbase isthe same length as the 18" on-one inbred i also ride id go for the small mate

·
Registered
225 Posts
Size small

I'm 5' 7.5" with 30" inseam and ride a small.

I tried a medium but didn't have as much seatpost out as I would have liked, I find the small perfect, its fitted with a FSA k-force carbon post and a Thomson 90mm stem with 100mm fox float - These last two mods make the handling really stable and it works really well - gives a better head angle, more like 70.5 deg and very stable on fast downs.

I dont race, and use this for trail use only with maybe the odd 100km enduro.

I bought an 06 Anthem 1 frame and built it up with my parts - it weighs 25 Ibs with not much effort or expense spared, don't think its going to be too hard to get it to 24Ibs or maybe less!!

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
Could go either way

I'm 5'8" with 32" inseam. With an 18" I need a 330mm seatpost and a 90mm stem.

In regards to the twitchiness... get a 100mm fork and be done with it. That puts the geometry right where any other bike would be. I have a 115mm fork on mine, it rides great, and is still under 23 lbs.

·
Registered
53 Posts
go with the small

I'm 5'7" and 30 inseam and ride a small A3. The fit is great with the stock stem. When I first go out in the woods, I went down in fast tight turns on red clay. I never do that and was wondering what the heck. I've become used to the quick handling and feel confident, but hope to go 100mm fork someday to get a little more relaxed feel. It doesn't need much though. I ride SE trails in north GA, rooty, red clay, some rocky areas, but fast twisty up and down to fairly technical sections. The Anthem performs great except for getting used to the above quick steering. I came off a GF HKEK hardtail that I loved, but need some bump absorption. The Anthem does this great, and I just have the A3. Wanted the A2 last year model, but needed to save on initial cost. At $1300, I'll be able to upgrade in time. Get the small and adjust as mention in above posts, or it might fit just fine. This is a fast bike up and down-hill, Caution, objects ahead come at you faster than expected. You'll love it. BTW, get plenty of clear frame protector for cable rub. But, I think the 07 paint job, might not have as much cable rub issue.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
RichardC said:
I've decided to buy an Giant Anthem 0 and am hoping I can get it very soon. However, I'm still not sure if I should be getting the small or medium. I'm 5 feet, 7.5 inches and my inseam is 30 inches(not sure how eXact this is). My current bike is a 2005 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 100. I love my 30 lb Specialized and my body postion on the bike feels excellent. My medium Specialized has top tube length of 23.1 inches and a standover height of 28.5. The Giant Anthem 0 is 22.6 inches top tube and 30.4 inches standover for the small and 23.4 inches top tube and 31.2 inches standover for the medium. My Specialized top tube length is almost right between the small and medium Anthem top tube lengths. But the Specialized standover height is much less than both the small and medium Anthem. I've been told by some that the standover height is really not that important and that I should really be looking more at the top tube length and how my body position feels sitting on the bike. I did go to a bike shop and I was able to stand over a medium Anthem 0. It didn't really feel big on me --- I could still pull the bike up underneath me about 2.5 inches.

Would you recommend that I go with the small or medium sized Anthem 0. All responses are welcome, especially from those of you who already have an Anthem 0.
For your height, get size Small if want fast handling or Medium slow handling and stable going down fast hills. Me, I like frame's thats active not sluggish, unless your into fast down hill, which Anthem frame's not intended use but Glory or Reign or Trance are.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.