Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Paper or plastic?
10,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know what allen key is needed to unscrew the chainstay pivot? I have a set of metric keys, but just in case I need something else.

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Take real care on those 2 chainstay bolts. They are locktited in there (or the nut design somehow pinches the bolts a little) and I have always had a tough time getting them out without rounding the heads on the bolt or the allen wrench. If you start rounding either one, stop and regroup. The bolt heas are fairly good steel, so they don't round that easily, but i have done it. :(
It helps to use a good, new, 4mm allen.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rensho said:
Take real care on those 2 chainstay bolts. They are locktited in there (or the nut design somehow pinches the bolts a little) and I have always had a tough time getting them out without rounding the heads on the bolt or the allen wrench. If you start rounding either one, stop and regroup. The bolt heas are fairly good steel, so they don't round that easily, but i have done it. :(
It helps to use a good, new, 4mm allen.
Thanks for all the tips. Now that I know how to remove the cranks, I'll try not to screw up anything.

Results in a few days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.