Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What size 6 pack ??

1K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  BubbaTime 
#1 ·
I bought an Ellsworth Moment (large) and it felt really cramped and had a high center of gravity. I own a XL Santa Cruz heckler and it feels right on. SC Heckler has a 24.9 TT. I run a 110mm stem- 5 deg. , staight Thomson seatpost.
I'm 6'2 with a true 34.4 inseam. 31 " middle BB to seat height.

What size 6 Pack will work . Large or X Large.

Thanks.

#2 ·
Purely a guess, since I am at the other end of the size spectrum, I would say XL. Set it up with a 90-100mm stem. To get your 31" seat height you will have approx 7-8" of exposed seat tube. Your 34.4" inseam will have no problems clearing the 33" standover either.

#5 ·
neither will work. you will be working. the bike needs you to do the work.

why do you keep asking for "expert" opinions on this issue. if you don't know what size you need, you need to learn more about yourself and your riding. and obviously you do not need the 6-Pack's advanced design, if you're that ignorant.

but keep asking, someone is likely to play the role of "expert" and tell you without a doubt which size is "correct."

dude, you could ride a Medium if you wanted. what do you want?

#6 ·
blah, blah, blah

Do you ever have anything worthwhile to contribute?

gonzostrike said:
neither will work. you will be working. the bike needs you to do the work.

why do you keep asking for "expert" opinions on this issue. if you don't know what size you need, you need to learn more about yourself and your riding. and obviously you do not need the 6-Pack's advanced design, if you're that ignorant.

but keep asking, someone is likely to play the role of "expert" and tell you without a doubt which size is "correct."

dude, you could ride a Medium if you wanted. what do you want?

#7 ·
BubbaTime said:
I bought an Ellsworth Moment (large) and it felt really cramped and had a high center of gravity. I own a XL Santa Cruz heckler and it feels right on. SC Heckler has a 24.9 TT. I run a 110mm stem- 5 deg. , staight Thomson seatpost.
I'm 6'2 with a true 34.4 inseam. 31 " middle BB to seat height.

What size 6 Pack will work . Large or X Large.

Thanks.
Large Pack = 24.3" tt, XL = 25.2"
Turner recommends peeps up to 6'1" to go with a L and 6'2" and up XL.
Your inseam is 1.5" longer than mine, so seatpost insertion or standover on a L would be no issue, and I run my saddle 30" mid-BB to seat, so the proportions seem quite similar. It boils down to top tube length, and since the large moment has the same tt length as the large Pack, and the moment was too short/cramped, you will definitely want an XL Pack.

The bb height on the moment is curious and inscrutible since E measures them sagged and who knows with which fork (usually something short). You will likely be able to put a bigger fork (540mm A-C like a 36 or Z1 FR1) on the Pack and end up with the same bb arrangement as a moment sporting a short fork, or put a 520mm A-C fork on the Pack and possibly end up lower than the Moment. Someone would have to search the E forum for bb heights or measure.

#8 ·
No need to search the Ells forum - it is right HERE on the turner forum. Actual BB measurements from a Large and a small Moment.

Large w/ Fox 36 @ 150mm - 14.5"
Small w/ Fox van 125 - 14"

The Pack is 14.25" and I'm assuming that is with a 150mm fork (zocchi???)

#10 ·
Decided on an XL Pack.

tscheezy said:
Large Pack = 24.3" tt, XL = 25.2"
Turner recommends peeps up to 6'1" to go with a L and 6'2" and up XL.
Your inseam is 1.5" longer than mine, so seatpost insertion or standover on a L would be no issue, and I run my saddle 30" mid-BB to seat, so the proportions seem quite similar. It boils down to top tube length, and since the large moment has the same tt length as the large Pack, and the moment was too short/cramped, you will definitely want an XL Pack.

The bb height on the moment is curious and inscrutible since E measures them sagged and who knows with which fork (usually something short). You will likely be able to put a bigger fork (540mm A-C like a 36 or Z1 FR1) on the Pack and end up with the same bb arrangement as a moment sporting a short fork, or put a 520mm A-C fork on the Pack and possibly end up lower than the Moment. Someone would have to search the E forum for bb heights or measure.
Thanks everyone for your input. Even Meatheads !!! I spoke with Casey. He was very helpful . I wish that I went with Turner . Before the Ellsworth. Ells does make a sweet looking bike. I guess for some that doesn't matter.I learned. The 6 Pack is Sweet.
I got it from Go-Ride.com . Nice people to deal with.Great deal.

Again Thanks, I will post pics.

#12 ·
Six Pack Build

* Frame Size & Color: XL Grey Six Pack
* Fork: Fox 36 R
* Brakes: 8'' Avid Juicy 6" rear
* Cranks: RF Atlas w/bash guard
* Front Derailleur: XT
* Rear Derailleur: Sram XO until breaks X-9
* Pedals: Time
* Stem: Thomson 100mm 5 deg
* Handlebar: FSA free ride
* Seatpost: Thomson straight
* Saddle: WTB
* Bottom Bracket:
* Cassette: XT
* Headset: Chris King / Silver
* Grips: Yeti lock on
* Front Tire: Kenda Nevegal 2.35
* Front Rim: Mavic CrossMax XL
* Front Hub/Skewer:
* Rear Tire: Kenda Nevegal 2.35
* Rear Rim: Mavic CrossMax XL
* Rear Hub/Skewer
Shifter: Sram X-9 trigger

#13 ·
She is fine and all done.

BubbaTime said:
* Frame Size & Color: XL Grey Six Pack
* Fork: Fox 36 R
* Brakes: 8'' Avid Juicy 6" rear
* Cranks: RF Atlas w/bash guard
* Front Derailleur: XT
* Rear Derailleur: Sram XO
* Pedals: Time
* Stem: Thomson 100mm 5 deg
* Handlebar: FSA free ride
* Seatpost: Thomson straight
* Saddle: WTB
* Bottom Bracket:
* Cassette: XT
* Headset: Chris King / Silver
* Grips: Yeti lock on
* Front Tire: Kenda Nevegal 2.35
* Front Rim: Mavic CrossMax XL
* Front Hub/Skewer:
* Rear Tire: Kenda Blue Groove 2.10
* Rear Rim: Mavic CrossMax XL
* Rear Hub/Skewer
Shifter: Sram XO
Finished today. The guys at Go-Ride.com were great to deal with.Should have got a Turner long ago . Better than expected.
Thanks

Attachments

#15 ·
Ellsworth should make an XL

Turner advertises the 6 Pack as FR vs Ellsworth advertises the Moment as Trailbike. Both 6'' travel bikes. Not much of a weight difference.Beware no dropoffs with Moment.

Plain and simple. Alot of people on Ellsworths have a mile of seat post hanging out. The seat tube problems they have had . The more seatpost out = more leverage. The core market of bikes is probally medium and large. I guess for Ellsworth, it is plain economics.

This is not a knock on Ellsworth. They make a great looking bike that works. Just not for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.