Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Pedal Bike
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I'm inbetween sizes...I'm 5'10.5" with a 31" inseam. Looks like I could ride a medium or large. Is anyone similar in ht and can help?

·
Committed
1,775 Posts
Pedal Bike said:
I think I'm inbetween sizes...I'm 5'10.5" with a 31" inseam. Looks like I could ride a medium or large. Is anyone similar in ht and can help?
I am the same size as you and choose to ride a med. It really comes down to personal choice, but I'd say if you are more interested in the climbing performance, go with a large. Conversely, if descending is more what you like, then I'd pick the medium.
I prefer the feel of a compact frame.
I do run a 410mm Thompson at near max extension, so if you go medium plan on buying a long seatpost.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm exactly the same size as you and generally ride bikes with TT of 23" - 23.5" (I have a med HL Spot @ 23" and a 6-Pack at 23.5"). I tested a med 09 Spot and it felt a fraction too small esp when riding with a lower saddle position. At DT's personal recommendation I've gone with a large, which I'll run with a 70mm stem and an in-line post (my prefered set-up). I've yet to build it up so still hoping I've made the right decision! Worth noting the standover on the 09's is about an 1" less.

·
Pedal Bike
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks...

Thanks everyone...I called Turner and they recommended the "large" as well. I currently ride a med Intense 5.5. Similar TT and stand over. I like a shorter stem so the "L" will work. Ordered the "Sangria"color. Can't wait to compare/contrast against the 5.5. Cheers!

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
I am 5' 11" and feel very comfortable on a 06 Spot with 23.9 TT and 08 RFX with 23.8 TT and 80m stems. I would not dream of riding a medium spot with a 23" TT when the 09 L has a 23.6" TT. I am sure Large is the right decision.

·
Banned
56 Posts
Go large

Pedal Bike said:
I AM 5'10" and my last 4 Spots were medium and this year I changed to a large and feel much more comfortable. Gotta say the large is a better all round all mountain xc bike. Dave

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,369 Posts
+1 on the large. I'm also 5'10" have owned 5 different medium Turners over the years. After hearing DT's opinion after taking a look at how I fit on the medium, and riding a large at Interbike this year, I'll be moving up to a large on any future purchases. Shorter stem, less seatpost showing, fewer spacers under my stem, these are all good things IMO.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I'm 5'10.5" and ride a large 09. The TT is shorter on 09 than 08. I ride aggressive downhill and the bike is super flickable and nimble but still stable at speed. I also like to climb and it does that well for my size. For a 5'10"+ rider I would suggest the large hands down.

·
Pedal Bike
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks....

turner_dave said:
I AM 5'10" and my last 4 Spots were medium and this year I changed to a large and feel much more comfortable. Gotta say the large is a better all round all mountain xc bike. Dave
I'm psych'd Dharma Wheels Cyclery in Park City, UT is the new dealer.
I ordered a large sangria 5 Spot this week through them...Merry Holidays to me, and of course, to you all!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.