Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so my LBS stopped selling my favorite tires I have been running on my 29er Sultan for years. I used to run a Specialized 29x2.2 Captain Control in the the back and 29x2.2 Purgatory Control in the front. I'm in tire need of a new rear tire because I slashed it, the front has maybe another 300 miles on it but no other signs of deterioration other than tread wear.

Apparently the only replacements I can find are from Specialized.com and they're running about $110 for a set shipped. Can anyone a set of quality tires in about the same performance/weight range that are more affordable?
Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Tire Bicycle fork

·
Registered
679 Posts
The ultimate all around AM Tire is the hans dampf in my opinion.
Good rolling, crazy grip in all conditions
Only available in 2,35...put it in front and move your purgatory to the rear.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Have you ever ridden a Hans Dampf on coralstone? My guess would be not or you'd be singing another tune. My call for best all around AM tyre would be the Maxxis HR2 3c compound.
The ultimate all around AM Tire is the hans dampf in my opinion.
Good rolling, crazy grip in all conditions
Only available in 2,35...put it in front and move your purgatory to the rear.
While I hate SpecialED, Evasive is right, for a good set of tyres, that's a hard price to beat. Not sure what your trail conditions are like, but if you're willing to experiment, On One sells the Smorgasbord (2.25") and the Chunky Monkey (2.4") in 2 compounds and they're only about $30 US a piece - this is the combo I'm running right now, tubeless and they've worked well for most conditions, works extremely well in/on wet roots and rocks, very durable on our coralstone, razor rocks.. The tyres are made for them by Maxxis and the 2.4" uses the same casing as the 2.4" Ardent.
Frankly, it'll be hard to beat that price for a pair of decent tires. Spec usually prices their tired pretty low. The On-One Chunky Monkeys will be cheaper though, and are well-reviewed.

·
Registered
892 Posts
It really depends on a lot of factors (where you ride, distance of typical ride, etc)

I've tried several different tire combos on my Sultan and like Maxxis Ardents (2.4 front, 2.25 rear). Good combo of reasonably low rolling resistance and good balanced grip.

·
29ers Forever
2021 Rocky Mountain Altitude A70
3,603 Posts
Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35.
Or if you want to go narrower, Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
On-One Chunky Monkey 2.4 and Smorgasbord 2.25 combo. Grip everything, and have Exo sidewall protection. They are currently $35 shipped each.

Tires - 29"
That's what I'm running on my Sultan and I'm pretty happy with them, especially for the money. There is plenty of room in the rear however, I would stick with the monkey front and rear, as clearance is the only reason I see to go to a smaller tire.

Hans Dampf is a fantastic tire when it's new. After the 1st ride you can tell it's not the same, after 2 weeks the rear is basically shot. For $90/tire. I don't mind spending money on my bike, but if I ran HDs I'd be wearing out 2 rears and a front every month in the summer; spending close to $300 a month in tires is too much.

·
beater
6,186 Posts
When the OP is looking for a tire less expensive than a Specialized at $55, I don't see much point in recommending a Hans Dampf (or any Scwhalbe tire). A friend of mine likes the dual-compound HDs because they're pretty cheap, but I don't think they've started making them in 29".

If you're looking for the best deals, it'll be hard to beat the On-One tires (which are made my Maxxis). It might also be worth looking at the Tioga Psycho Genius. They can be had pretty cheaply, and I've seen some positive reviews (both here, on Pinkbike, and other outlets). I don't have any person experience with them, though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.