Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this obviously beginner mountain bike. It's pretty basic but also nice to ride. I don't get to trails as much as I'd like to. I do ride around local roads and around town with some friends. I have a Fuji Adventure, and am wondering what should I upgrade on it? Is anything worth upgrading?

Right now my only set in stone plan is to get a new set of grips, because the ones on there are oddly shaped and move too easily.

This page has the parts list and such

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Cockpit things like grips and saddle can be cost-effective if they aren't working for you.

Other than that, there probably isn't a bunch worth upgrading there, to be honest, and, it isn't clear that anything needs upgrading with the way you ride.

Some things to consider might be: fork, drivetrain, brakes, dropper post. But again probably not cost-effective or necessary. When your derailleurs give out, they could be upgraded to some good effect.

·
jcd's best friend
3,036 Posts
Race Face Chester or OneUp Components composite pedals. Everything else can be upgraded later on.

Sent from my snail mail via Tapatalk.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Its a basic entry level casual bike. Like has been said, upgrade cockpit contact points to stuff you find comfortable first. Grips, seat, pedals. Tires to match more what you ride if current ones arent quite matching. Looking at the component list, one thing you might want to consider upgrading is the steel handlebars. Can drop a fair amt of weight there without having to dish out a lot of money and change a lot of other things. Upgrading anything else is going to involve more money and changing more parts that it prob would be better to save up to upgrade to a new bike later.

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,282 Posts
You've provided a reason for upgrading the grips, that should definitely be your first move. Other than that, save your money and ride the bike until something breaks. Its fully functioning now, correct? What more do you need?

·
Super Moderator
2,172 Posts
You'll find out that upgrading your current bike will cost more than you want to spend on. Save your money for something new and more advanced.

You can upgrade basic things that need to serve you better, such as saddle, grips, pedals.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Yep, all been said. Only bother with contact points. Decent grips that can be locked on cost nothing really.
A decent saddle and flat pedals can easily be transferred to your next ride and will improve your ride in the short term (even considerably better bikes often come with no or just throw away pedals, and saddle fit is very personal, so making the effort now to get fit will also be transferrable).
A basic aluminum bar in this case is also probably worth it as another quick and cheap fix for now (though any upgrade would likely come with a similar basic Al bar).
Hold onto the old parts, so you can put them back on when you go to trade or sell the current ride.
Things like the fork are really not worth it, it will cost more than half what you paid for the entire bike to get anything vaguely decent.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts