Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this christmas i came out with a bit of cash, and i MUST replace my handlebars.
I currently have a no-name riser bar thats only like 26" wide. I'd like to go much wider and i'd like to be able to get a more hunched over attack position(would that mean a lower rise/flat bar?).

What are my options? I'd like to keep the price in a good range. I might have carpel tunnel (waiting for tests) and if theres anything that might help that it would be great, maybe a small bend backwards right at the end of the bar to support the wrist? Is there somthing like that? Just for fun, how wide are DH bars made?

Happy Holidays!

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
As far as width goes, you can go up to 30" wide without looking very hard & maybe even wider if you want. Most people stay in the 28" range since the wider bars can be tricky in tight stuff. Regarding shape, it's really a matter of personal preference. I don't really know of anything specifically for carpal but a carbon DH bar could be a good choice (reduces vibration). I've been running an Easton Monkeylite DH for 2 years with no issues. Kinda pricey though, what's your range btw?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was hoping to keep it under $100

I was drooling over the RaceFace Atlas FR 1/2 just now... price is right and it's nice and wide! Where i ride, width won't be an issue.

How are the Atlas bars? i see jenson has them, but it doesn't say if they are the 1/2 rise or not...

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Answer Protaper 780mm 1/2" rise bars are about USD90 shipped from Chain Reaction Cycles.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=42512

If you've never ordered from them before, on the top righthand corner of the page, there's an option to change the displayed currency and your shipping destination. That will show you a fairly accurate amount of how much you'd pay and shipping costs.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i have protapers on my dirtbike, and i LOVE them... and those answers are friggin sexy!!! i have no idea what color to get though!
what would look best on my bike? (yeah, i know, messy house)

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
juanbeegas said:
Answer Protaper 780mm 1/2" rise bars are about USD90 shipped from Chain Reaction Cycles.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=42512

If you've never ordered from them before, on the top righthand corner of the page, there's an option to change the displayed currency and your shipping destination. That will show you a fairly accurate amount of how much you'd pay and shipping costs.
does anybody have them other than chain reaction? international shipping is... well, silly expensive

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Protapers are attractive because of the weight, but not that wide.
I really like the Deity bars. The rise and sweep is spot on. Weight is pretty decent too. Plus the customer service is top notch. Eric and Sadie are awesome.

·
Registered
335 Posts
AlexJK said:
well i have protapers on my dirtbike, and i LOVE them... and those answers are friggin sexy!!! i have no idea what color to get though!
what would look best on my bike? (yeah, i know, messy house)
Get the atlases, they feel amazing plus you have some room to cut them down. The blue is a lighter color than your frame, it's closer to the color of that cup you have on the counter. I ran some full sized atlases on my hardtail for a bit, they felt good but I'd probably cut them down an inch or so. I'd say get them.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i'll agree that the deitys are a spot on bar... but now sombody turned me on to the spank 777 spike...
problem is that like 3 other people in town have deitys... way to break the mold

but is is such a good bar!!! and thats why they have them... well i think i need to try and drop some weight because my bike weighs a hefty 35lbs without a chain and seatpost...

deity... spank... how is spank's customer service?

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
What are you a fashionista? Who cares if other people have them? The Deity bars are awesome. And I know there is somebody that really pushes Spank products on MTBR... but their CS seems less than stellar unless you or your shop knows a rep. They haven't even updated their website in forever. It's hard to match Deity's CS. RaceFace CS doesn't come close either.

You can probably drop some weight by going to a smaller rear rotor. If you're running SS, you shouldn't need a chainguide either, go ahead and get a derailleur hanger mounted tensioner like the Rennen or the DMR (they are not spring loaded and will not flop around). While the Truvativ cranks are not too heavy, the bottom bracket is VERY heavy.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
XSL_WiLL said:
What are you a fashionista? Who cares if other people have them? The Deity bars are awesome. And I know there is somebody that really pushes Spank products on MTBR... but their CS seems less than stellar unless you or your shop knows a rep. They haven't even updated their website in forever. It's hard to match Deity's CS. RaceFace CS doesn't come close either.

You can probably drop some weight by going to a smaller rear rotor. If you're running SS, you shouldn't need a chainguide either, go ahead and get a derailleur hanger mounted tensioner like the Rennen or the DMR (they are not spring loaded and will not flop around). While the Truvativ cranks are not too heavy, the bottom bracket is VERY heavy.
Customer service is a deciding factor for me, and i'm not the fashionista, it's the other people! they get all butthurt because "sombody else copied me!"
lol i like the white on black deitys, so i think thats what i'm gonna go with.

As for the cranks, i got those for free :D (kinda, warranty upgrade from my screwed up hussefelts) I know the BB is a tank, but it's insanely strong and cheap. I dunno if it was some kind of fluke, but i developed a bunch of notchy spots in a hollowtech 2 BB in about a month. The Howitzer is still going strong!

The chainguide is needed at the moment because i'm not yet running a SS specific chainring. I already tried it without and because i'm running a zip-tied forte POS tensioner, it has a tendeancy to flop off over extremely rough stuff. A new tensioner should fix that though.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.