Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
In the rear with the gear
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pulling the trigger and going to get a 29er.

Thinking that I want to start out with SS but definitely want the option to go Geared later down the road. What are my options with this requirement?

I know Niner makes the SIR 9, and the Surely Karate Monkey falls into this category, any others?

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Many others to consider...

Most of the 29er frames on the market right now allow SS or gears. Some of these will depend on your budget...

On One Inbred 29er
Salsa El Mariachi production (non LE version...when it comes out)
2 offerings from VooDoo
Soma Groove
Q-Ball from Quiring
Walt Works
probably others that I'm not thinking of right now...

Edit: Kona Explosive 29er

·
Registered
370 Posts
I am strongly considering a Niner AIR Nine, with an ENO rear hub. I currently have a Fisher Paragon, which I love, but I am really attracted to the new AIR.

Are you looking for a full set up or just a frame?

·
In the rear with the gear
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nater said:
Most of the 29er frames on the market right now allow SS or gears. Some of these will depend on your budget...

On One Inbred 29er
Salsa El Mariachi production (non LE version...when it comes out)
2 offerings from VooDoo
Soma Groove
Q-Ball from Quiring
Walt Works
probably others that I'm not thinking of right now...

Edit: Kona Explosive 29er
I like the VooDoo Dambala and the Surly Karate Monkey. Also like the Walt Works, el cheapo or what ever its called, but I didn't think it did geared. Have to go back an look.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Hadn't thought of that route...

Mattyd said:
I am strongly considering a Niner AIR Nine, with an ENO rear hub. I currently have a Fisher Paragon, which I love, but I am really attracted to the new AIR.

Are you looking for a full set up or just a frame?
But it works quite well. Get any frame you want (even geared specific) and have an extra rear wheel built with the eccentric ENO. It's as nice a SS hub as you could want, provided you don't mind freewheels and don't want a cassette style hub.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Nater said:
But it works quite well. Get any frame you want (even geared specific) and have an extra rear wheel built with the eccentric ENO. It's as nice a SS hub as you could want, provided you don't mind freewheels and don't want a cassette style hub.
Yeah, I have really enjoyed the hub. While I'll never run the Paragon geared (at least while I have it), it is a nice option to have. And, seeing as how I'll probably never have less than two bikes at a time (sorry, sounds kind of snobby), I'll always have a set of wheels to switch out with the eno.

Really, can't say enough good things about ENO!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.