Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I am a newbie to the 29er world. I have just started looking into what frame I want to go with. But certainly going to be a rigid 29er. I currently ride a geared 26 with 98 xtr group so I would have some parts for a build up.. Eventually I might even go towards a single speed but I have the fear of commitment right now about going hangerless.
It seems like the two most popular bikes i.e. the KM (Karate Monkey) or the inbreed, I am afraid to say, are built for a younger age group? With cartoon graphics and their namesake. Not that I am looking for a sophisticated custom titanium. I have also heard about the best low cost ways of getting into the 29er world is the two aforementioned frames.The best I have seen around for the two is 400$ then you still have wheels and what not even after a component swap. What about a fisher 29 looks like the cheap way to go.
Anyway just wanted some other feedback.

·
Bored
1,982 Posts
The Surly or Inbred are probably your best options. You will have to deal with the graphics unfortunately. Also, check out Soma has a 29" offering the Juice. Its only a bit more than the Surly. A lot of the Kona Unit 2-9's are coming with cable stops (but not all). You can buy a new right drop out and have the gears option.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I might be answering my own question.

What do you guys think of the Voodoo Aizan.. It looks like a Niner bikes One niner with a hanger and sliding drop outs.. Also whats the opinion of ecentric bottom brackets vs. sliding drop outs?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Check out VooDoo.

trimlightly said:
First off I am a newbie to the 29er world. I have just started looking into what frame I want to go with. But certainly going to be a rigid 29er. I currently ride a geared 26 with 98 xtr group so I would have some parts for a build up.. Eventually I might even go towards a single speed but I have the fear of commitment right now about going hangerless.
It seems like the two most popular bikes i.e. the KM (Karate Monkey) or the inbreed, I am afraid to say, are built for a younger age group? With cartoon graphics and their namesake. Not that I am looking for a sophisticated custom titanium. I have also heard about the best low cost ways of getting into the 29er world is the two aforementioned frames.The best I have seen around for the two is 400$ then you still have wheels and what not even after a component swap. What about a fisher 29 looks like the cheap way to go.
Anyway just wanted some other feedback.
They have two 29ers that can be geared or gearless. One steel and one Scandium. Prolly a little more $$$ that the Surly or Inbred though. Check them out here: http://www.bti-usa.com/ & here: http://www.voodoocycles.net/

·
Registered
981 Posts
The Surly decals are not clear coated over. So with patience and a hair dryer, you can remove them. It's an easy process, just time consuming.

As for the Inbred, the only "young looking" graphic is that cartoon character of the inbeded dude, A sticker of your choice can easily cover it up.

Or for as low as $100, some powder coat shops will strip and powder coat your frame in a basic color of you choice. That way you get the color of your choice and you do away with the graphics and names.

The Fisher Cobia is tough to be price wise. $950 for a complete build with fork that has Reba internals and Avid disc brakes.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
You are the perfect customer for a.....

Mountain Goat Route 29! Although, they are not even out yet! I'm afraid that if you do not like the "cartoon graphics" of a Karate Monkey or Inbred 29"er, then the VooDoo's graphics are a step in the wrong direction. The Mountain Goat stuff will have classy good looks and a sweet steel frame. You better save your pennies, cause it'll cost ya, but you'd probably never be sorry you got it.

Might I also suggest Wily Cycles, which is a sponsor of this forum, has classy, sharp looking steel frames with cool graphics, and has decent prices. Also not cheap, but you get what you pay for, ya know?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fisher bikes

Well after looking at the RIg and the Cobia I really like the geometry with the slopeing top tubes sorry also a roadie. What is worse trying to gear a Rig or single speeding a cobia? Just wondering.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Single speeding a Cobia would be a much easier conversion.
1. Order a rear spacer/cog set ($20 Gusset kit)
2. A chain tensioner ($40-$70 Surly or Soulcraft)

As for gearing up a Rig...
The Rig does not a rear der hanger, but you can use one of those beach cruiser rear der's that come with a hanger and use the quick release axle bolt to keep it in place. Such a rear der cost about $40 at the most and then use Zip ties for cable guides. As for the front der, you can check to see if biketoolsetc.com has a cable stop to fit the diameter of the tubes so you can run a front der.

The expensive way of running gears would be a sweet Rohloff hub, but that would be around $1000, which is the price of a complete Cobia bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
fisher bikes

Looked like I saw a rear der cable stop on a Rig on the internet? And another odd question why does geared always equal a front der I almost never use the front. Can't you just use a single speed crank with a rear der?

·
Big Wheel Homer !!
1,752 Posts
Be sure to check out the Soma Juice. I've got a couple of rides on one and it's a very solid ride. Horizontal drop-outs and der. hanger. Three sets of cable stops and brake hose guides. You can get a frame for under $400.

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
981 Posts
You're right, it's not necessary to run a front der/ triple chainring combo setup. It was just an assumption on my part.

The photos of the Rig on the Fisher site and print catalog show the cable guide for a rear der, but the shots of customer bikes and the one I rode at the shop did not have it.

Cables guides here on official Fisher page (large photo):
https://fisherbikes.com/images/bikes2006/walls/rig.jpg

No cable guide here:

·
veinte nueve pulgadas
419 Posts
is that the silver soma?

cruzthepug said:
Be sure to check out the Soma Juice. I've got a couple of rides on one and it's a very solid ride. Horizontal drop-outs and der. hanger. Three sets of cable stops and brake hose guides. You can get a frame for under $400.

Steve
that looks a tad on the purple side...is that the silver color?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
ditto...

cruzthepug said:

Steve
i have one also, but mines is the funky red color with gears and v brakes. a very underated frameset imho.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'm a bit partial, but I strongly recommend the Voodoo Aiazan. I've had one for a few months and it is everything. It can run disc or canti and geared or ss. Usually one gives up perfromance for versatility, but not here my friend. You get a very race worthy frame at a price point ($650 @ http://www.trails-edge.com/onlinecatalog.htm), a weight (under 3lbs), and versatility that not even the craziest custom bike can match. There are plenty of people on this board who've ridden or who own the Niner scandium bike, and the jury is out: Scandium rocks for 29ers. Problem with the Niner is that you can't run gears unless you get a Rohloff hub. There'a also the Salsa Dos Niner, but let's face it, Scandium is a type of Aluminum, the Dos Niner is a soft tail which means there's a bunch of flexing going on and Aluminum weakens with movement, and you can't run it as an ss without a few awkward or heavy parts. To me it's an easy choice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.