Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a new bike exactly 6 weeks ago and since then have put 166miles on it, mostly on the road getting back in shape. Today I got an E13 DRS to prevent my chain from bouncing off when I was on trails. So of course I go to install it today.

Here is the problem. I unscrewed the bolt for the crank arms and the left side is just fine. The right side however has about 4 rows of threads on the outside and the inside ones are completely mangled/missing. I havent done anything to this bike besides swapping the forks. That crank arm was barely able to be pulled off without losing the rest of the threads. And once I put it back on I probably wont be able to get it back off.

Now it gets worse. So I take out the bottom bracket and once again the threads are messed up. Not as bad as the crank, but it looks like it was tapped one size then half of it was re-tapped a bit larger. It is also missing a few threads. This is on the frame itself. It also looks like someone tried to hammer the BB in because there is pretty bad marks all over where the cup screws on.

So Im not very happy considering this bike has damage that wasnt caused by me and Ive only had it for 6 weeks. So what should I do? Should I contact the manufacturer? Should I just live with it? Or should I take it back to the store for a refund? The store has a very good return policy, but they do not have a replacement bike to give me.

Please give me some advice on this. I have pictures to show what Im talking about if my description does not make it clear.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are some pictures showing the BB area. You can see the dmg on the outside and the messed up threads where the size is different.
http://www.clanbbw.com/publicimg/data/images/Picture%20001111.jpg
http://www.clanbbw.com/publicimg/data/images/Picture%20003333.jpg

And Here are the cranks arms.
http://www.clanbbw.com/publicimg/data/images/Picture%20027777.jpg
http://www.clanbbw.com/publicimg/data/images/Picture%20032222.jpg

*Edit* I made them links since the image was too big and I dont want to resize to reduce detail.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
I'm not sure that anything can be done to repair the frame. I would say that it needs to be replaced. I would not ride it like that. I do most of my own wrenching but that is outside my experience. As you say it is a new bike, I would take it back to the shop. The problem is you will have to convince them that you did not cause the damage. What kind of a relationship do you have with them?

Ronnie.

·
Registered
70 Posts
that isn't right
Were they difficult to remove?
Thats difficult to figure, could have assembled your bike with a pneumatic wrench that’s torque was set way too high?
Although you might be able to clean up the threads at BB housing with a chaser it would be as a very last resort for me.
Manufacturer Vs store where ever you get the best results.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The shop has a 100% satisfaction garantee with no time limit, so I dont doubt I can take it back. I doubt they will believe the crank arm came like that, theyll just say I did it while removing it. But there is no way I could have damaged the frame like that. So it looks like I'll be heading down there today to return it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I may have missed this, but what bike is that? Has anyone else noticed that the bottom bracket cup hasn't been chased/faced. It still has paint on the outside of the shell which could be built up a bit w/ paint and probably caused whoever installed the bottom bracket at the factory to cross thread it and instead of stopping and backing it out and facing the bottom bracket shell, they just torqued the hell out it. I have seen this a hundred times at the shop I wrench at. Good luck w/ that and it definately needs to be replaced. JC

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I already was able to return the bike today with no problems at performance. He said he had never seen it before and did everything he could to help and I ended up with a full refund. It looks like there was a problem when it was manufactured. I didnt say the frame because I think they are a good bike manufacturer and I dont want to bring any negative attention to them.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Good call, I didn't ask the question for people to flame the company. That happens w/ the individual putting the bottom bracket/crank on at the factory. I used to work at a shop that carried KHS and Iron Horse and you would see that from time to time because of the manufacturing demands and stress on the workers to get them built in such a hurry, but at the same time I work at a Trek/Fisher/Lemond etc. dealer now and still see it every know and then as well. So it happens w/ all bike companies, LUCKILY you had a good bike shop that stood behind their products and gave you a full refund. You would be surprised in small town America where I live how many time a shop wouldn't help someone etc. Now that is sad. Later bud, JC

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.