Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have hfx 9 brakes and theyre alright
i got a hole on my line a while ago and i replaced the line for 40 dollars. i rode today and it got a hole in it and i had to ride the day with no back brake. so...should i replace the line again with the same type of line and try to make it so it doesnt get a hole again ( it seems to get holes where the hose goes through the little tabs in the frame to hold it down, so i dont know what do do to prevent holes) or should i get a metal line or should i just not bother spending more money on not so great brakes and invest in better brakes

·
Calm like a bomb
3,539 Posts
Hmm, well my*turner has El Camino's which seem to be OK but not quite what the Hopes are. Heard some good things about Avid Juicy 7's but the only other brakes that I'd feel fairly comfortable recommending are Maguras.

What's your budget?

I think you can pickup M4's for close to $400. Most of the better brakes out there aren't a whole lot cheaper.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Err said:
Hmm, well my*turner has El Camino's which seem to be OK but not quite what the Hopes are. Heard some good things about Avid Juicy 7's but the only other brakes that I'd feel fairly comfortable recommending are Maguras.

What's your budget?

I think you can pickup M4's for close to $400. Most of the better brakes out there aren't a whole lot cheaper.
hah my budget is like......200:D

·
Calm like a bomb
3,539 Posts
Yeah on a 200 budget you'd be better off just replacing the lines, maybe get creative with a little padding and some zip ties to keep that from happening again and save up for a full upgrade in the future.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Err said:

What's your budget?

Don't get El Caminos. The master cylinder/resivoir on those things are tiny. They don't really generate enough power for real DH. For all mountain, maybe, just MAYBE.

For 200 bucks, just replace the lines. See if you can get a set of Galfer SS lines. Not nearly as pricey as the Goodridges.

·
notabouttoseeyourlight
2,664 Posts
I'd just like to take this time to gloat that I just bought a pair of prime Magura Gustav's for $200 off Ridemonkey... That's with adapters & rotors!

·
@wishEMT
344 Posts
a buddy of mine (standard235) just put juicy 5's on his p1 for about $200. I dont know if you can still find them for the same price but i dont think they will break the bank and they work really well (1 finger stoppie)

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
Amazing Larry104 said:
i ( it seems to get holes where the hose goes through the little tabs in the frame to hold it down, so i dont know what do do to prevent holes)s
here is some suggestions......

1: File or sand around to make sure nothing is sharp.
2: don't tighten your zip ties so tight
3: little more slack in the brake lines

·
Banned
1,555 Posts
$220 on Ebay got me brand new Avid Juicy 5's with 7" rotors and caliper and everything.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Amazing Larry, I never got your username until this weekend, when I watched "Pee-Wee's Big Adventure" for the first time in about 10 years. I forgot how funny that movie is :D :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

G

·
Use little pieces of electrical tape to protect the lines, even just the tape will help, lets stuff slide freely (saves paint!)... Try sanding the suface where the hole is, to check for rough stuff..
Buy new lines definately, nines arent too bad when properly set up with sintered pads..
If you want better brakes at a good price, uprade the master cylinders to Hayes Mags, I have seen them for sale before, cant remember where..

Good luck with all that..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.