Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone ,

If I may start off by saying I have bad luck with bike shops, ok now that’s off my chest.

I took my bike to the Bike shop I purchased it from, nice group of people there, they usually try to get me to buy stuff that I don’t need and it’s overpriced but I’m ok with supporting them plus the gear is good. So my bike went in for their recommended 3 month service, which includes checking the whole bike, making sure it’s running tip top, I get a call that it is ready and I pick the bike up from the shop and take it for an evening ride.

I’m out on the trail with my bike and notice some shifting issues, no problem did my barrel adjustments and just couldn’t quite get it right, little did I know that my damn crank was as as loose as a goose, like wtf!

I get home and I torque it back to spec and it’s good to go.

Now I’m pissed off at my LBS for missing this, Now I’m wondering if they can even be trusted in changing my brakes or servicing it.

Excuse my frustration, but you have a bike shop that specializes in bikes yet they can’t do their damn job right.

For those suggesting I do the maintenance myself, sometimes I don’t have time because of work.

Should I voice my frustration with them or just look for another bike shop? Or should I give them one last try? Thoughts ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
11,822 Posts
Bike shops survive on maintenance. This is pretty much unforgivable in that respect. The crank could have damaged itself or fallen out. I would go back and bring it up to them and essentially shame them about it, have them look at your crank to ensure it wasn't damaged.

I don't think it is worth giving up on them yet but educating them to the fact that you are a good customer and your bike left the shop like this, will hopefully help them prevent this in the future. If you get service again from them and it is still **** then I would bail and find somewhere else that is better.

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
I would have taken it back to the shop before tightening the cranks so management can handle their problems accordingly, unless this was a trailside repair. I'd be looking for another shop though.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
Tell the manager about your experience. Let the shop identify who ****ed up. The best shop may hire an incompetent employee, and an occasionally forgetful employee is tough to identify. It's worthwhile to 'be cool;' people working CS will bend over backwards for cool customers.

As for 'ive had bad luck with bike shops...'

'when you meet an asshole, they're an asshole. When everyone is an asshole, you're the asshole.'

ultimately what you decide to do is up to you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll give them another try, they did bleed my brakes properly and I'm going back soon for new brake pads and have them put on some new tires for me.

As for 'ive had bad luck with bike shops...'

'when you meet an asshole, they're an asshole. When everyone is an asshole, you're the asshole.'

ultimately what you decide to do is up to you.
Maybe, possibly, but a few months ago I took my FS bike to get serviced at another local bike shop and I specifically asked them to check the bearings on the suspension system, got the bike back from them and took it out for a ride and one of the bolts sheered right off the frame! Like wtf happened there, I know that bike was old and abused but they should have caught that. I mean I did specially say " please check all the bolts to make sure it is safe to ride ". This bike shop is the reason why I went to the current bike shop I'm having an issue with right now.

I used to go to JensonUSA all the time and never had issues with their service, I simply do not want to do the commute to their location anymore

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
If you are still in West Covina, Two Wheeler Dealer in Brea is a great shop, small but excellent service, and not as far as you might think. They sell SC and C'dale.

Lately I've been using Vic's bike shop in Walnut right by the college on Valley. Tiny shop but Vic is super cool, and a great mechanic. Not a fancy shop, but he gets the job done.

I've limited time too so I use the LBS often.

Have you seen Velofix? They come to your place and I ride with a couple of guys that own one that service this area.

Good luck.

·
No known cure
5,751 Posts
I'll give them another try, they did bleed my brakes properly and I'm going back soon for new brake pads and have them put on some new tires for me.

Maybe, possibly, but a few months ago I took my FS bike to get serviced at another local bike shop and I specifically asked them to check the bearings on the suspension system, got the bike back from them and took it out for a ride and one of the bolts sheered right off the frame! Like wtf happened there, I know that bike was old and abused but they should have caught that. I mean I did specially say " please check all the bolts to make sure it is safe to ride ". This bike shop is the reason why I went to the current bike shop I'm having an issue with right now.

I used to go to JensonUSA all the time and never had issues with their service, I simply do not want to do the commute to their location anymore

I do all my own work except for the rare instance. I've used Jensons when they probaly have a tool other shops wont. I had a bolt on axle installed on a Hope hub and the bearings weren't seated. They rebuilt a fork and forgot to swap out the seals and it still leaked. I brought it back and halfway home, they called back to tell me they forgot to install a clip. Another time, back before the two shops in Riverside were open, I went in to grab some stuff and pushed down on a bike's fork in the showroom. The bars rotated down 180*. I had a three way hex key in my pocket and fixed the bars to the correct angle.

The LBS I'm involved with now, every bike gets test ridden in the parking lot including ran down a flight of stairs.

·
No Clue Crew
7,648 Posts
Or, conversely, you could just tighten the bolt they forgot and move on with your day. It took 10 seconds, much less time than writing this post. People make mistakes; it's not the end of the world.

·
No known cure
5,751 Posts
Or, conversely, you could just tighten the bolt they forgot and move on with your day. It took 10 seconds, much less time than writing this post. People make mistakes; it's not the end of the world.
I was drinking a beer with a childhood friend. He was showing me the new trailer hitch UHaul installed to drag his new toy hauler out to the desert. I'm that guy, and rolled under to check their work. Every bolt was only finger tight. I said, "Chris, check this **** out". He rolled under, we went back, and he went full tilt boogie.

·
No Clue Crew
7,648 Posts
I understand that ^^. Not exactly an apples-apples comparison, since no one is going to die from an untightened crank bolt.

My larger point, if the OP is otherwise happy with the shop, the people are nice, prices are fair for the area and they generally get him in and out the door, I'd be inclined to fix a small error and move on with my day. That's just me.

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
I understand that ^^. Not exactly an apples-apples comparison, since no one is going to die from an untightened crank bolt.

My larger point, if the OP is otherwise happy with the shop, the people are nice, prices are fair for the area and they generally get him in and out the door, I'd be inclined to fix a small error and move on with my day. That's just me.
But why not talk with the shop? if it is managed well they should appreciate the feedback. It isn't a confrontation, it's letting them know that they need to pay attention to it. If they give you an attitude or are indifferent after talking nicely to them, then I'd go elsewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,584 Posts

if it is managed well they should appreciate the feedback. It isn't a confrontation, it's letting them know that they need to pay attention to the service they are providing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
No Clue Crew
7,648 Posts
Sure. The OP seemed pretty upset about the whole thing, so I wasn't sure a non-confrontational discussion was possible.

I've had a similar issue happen with my personal favorite LBS that I've been using for years. It's a minor human error that I didn't feel the need to address. Others may feel differently.

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
If you're in the WC area, I would try Jax in Claremont. Jack, the manager and head mechanic is the best bike mechanic that I have ever used since I've started serious biking back in 1982. I've known Jack for almost that long.
Although I do most of my own builds and maintenance( I live quite a ways from Claremont) I still take the stuff that I cannot do, to him.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
45,121 Posts
I agree with this however I would keep the error in the back of my mind. The next time I went in for any kind of service, right before I left I would inform the manager of the shoddy work from the previous service. He would see that you didn't come unglued at the last time of service and you fixed it yourself and that you came back in good faith. Hopefully the manager would address the situation to his workers to be more conscientious of their work. If something happened after that I would let the manager know again. Probably give them one last go before giving up on them. Especially if the shop was conveniently located and all other aspects of the place was desirable.

Edit: Similar issue happened with me. I had company in town and was rushed for time. I took my bike in and had them switch out the crank set. Exchanging one of my old ones that still had life left on it. They did it in a timely manner to save me the hassle and to get me on the trail with my visiting guests. In the middle of my first ride the bike was shifting funny. After a couple of trailside stops I narrowed it down to a loose crankset. The one thing I asked them to do. So here I am trailside with my trusty multi tool and here comes another rider. He stopped and asked me if I was alright. Sure, just a loose crankset that I just had a local shop exchange out. Some more biching on my end and then a, I'm fine thanks, he rode off. Just as he rode off it dawned in me that he was one of the owners of that shop, doh!

I fixed it trailside as good as I could. Took it right back to the shop which was close to the trailhead where a mechanic fixed it up pronto. The owner of the shop that I had ran into wasn't there and I never said anything to him in post conversations. I looked back on our trailside conversation and I'm pretty sure I let on to my frustration with that the shop without letting on to what shop it was, he never asked. I don't think it ever clicked with him that I was a customer of his. I haven't been back in there for service since, not that I don't trust them but rather just haven't needed an emergency fix that I didn't have time to do myself. I'll go back if needed.

·
Registered
684 Posts
The statistics say that only 1 in 10 dissatisfied customers will ever complain. In a nice way, I would certainly bring it to their attention when I stopped in there the next time. If someone is slacking off and poor repairs are being performed, then it will eventually lose them some business. If they take it personally, then find another shop.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The root of the problem lies within pay rates and poor management/ownership. Online retail has killed the LBS ability to survive with good mechanics. I have had problem after problem when bringing my bike into any LBS. I forgive and forget. I'd suggest start buying some tools and work on your stuff yourself. Nobody will ever work on your bike like you do. Plain and simple. For complicated fixes, I would go to a shop while keeping bike in vehicle. Ask how much experience they have doing what your looking for, and if they impress you with their experience, give them your bike. If not, move onto the next shop until you find someone with a nice moustache, vans skate shoes, and a few tattoos. They are almost always will be knowledgeable and a seasoned veteran.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I would absolutely bring it up with my LBS. Say something like "thanks for giving me my bike back with a crank arm about to fall off. nice job."

I've had my LBS give me my bike back with a barely tight stem, and it was done by the owner. I gave him a bunch of **** about it. Lucky I noticed before getting into the rough stuff.

People make mistakes. They get pulled away from what they're doing to assist customers, and make mistakes. I doubt there is a mistake free LBS mechanic.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.