Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I like dual suspension.
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guy's! I'm starting to learn how to do my bicycle maintenance myself so I'm new to all this.

I want to know what I should use to clean my chain with before I begin to apply lube to it.
Any specific brand of stuff that works great?

Thanks!

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
I like finish line ecotech degreaser, its bio degradable and cleans off with water
some people use paint thinner, just keep it off any bearings (like your hub & bottom bracket)
the absoloute best way is to take the chain off but it can be done in place

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
"I'm not sure if it worked or not because I'm not really sure how to tell!"

Would you describe the chain as being 'clean' when you were finished? Did it have any dirt or old lube left on it?

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
Bavarian3900 said:
Hmmm, but it says "cleans chain soil."

I used it to clean mine. I'm not sure if it worked or not because I'm not really sure how to tell!
well , It doesnt say degreaser. Not sure what chain soils mean. the way its labeled it sounds like its a general bike wash, maybe chain soils mean what your chain throws up on your bike. If it works use it. you can tell if your chain is clean by touching it, is it oily or greasy? then it didnt work

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
I think by 'chain' soil' it means the crap that can get flung onto the frame from the chain, especially if you use a 'wet' lube. On a side note, if your chain is flinging lube onto your frame, you can be sure you have too much lube.
A clean chain look like anything else which is clean, however...

Here is what the inside link of a chain looks like when you take it apart (don't do this to a working chain!)...

Metal Household hardware Brass Circle Aluminium

When I clean a chain, the idea is to remove all of the old lube and whatever grit/dirt has attached itself to it. The best way to do that is with a solvent (disolves grease) and agitation. A brush can't get into the bearings (the circular bits) so I drop my chain into a jar with White (Mineral) Spirits and shake it for a couple of minutes, then rinse the spirits away with something like Muc-Off (the pink soap spray), followed by a shake in a jar of very hot water, followed by a good rinse under a hot tap. I'll repeat this until the water in the jar rinse remains clear. I blow the excess water from the chain and leave it on some tissue paper over a radiator to dry. This leaves me with bare, clean metal for my fresh lube's adhesive to bond to.
Applying new lube should be done as per the manufacturer's instructions, just make sure you choose one which is relevent to your riding conditions (wet/dry).

·
Registered
874 Posts
SteveUK said:
I think by 'chain' soil' it means the crap that can get flung onto the frame from the chain, especially if you use a 'wet' lube. On a side note, if your chain is flinging lube onto your frame, you can be sure you have too much lube.
A clean chain look like anything else which is clean, however...

Here is what the inside link of a chain looks like when you take it apart (don't do this to a working chain!)...

View attachment 231105

When I clean a chain, the idea is to remove all of the old lube and whatever grit/dirt has attached itself to it. The best way to do that is with a solvent (disolves grease) and agitation. A brush can't get into the bearings (the circular bits) so I drop my chain into a jar with White (Mineral) Spirits and shake it for a couple of minutes, then rinse the spirits away with something like Muc-Off (the pink soap spray), followed by a shake in a jar of very hot water, followed by a good rinse under a hot tap. I'll repeat this until the water in the jar rinse remains clear. I blow the excess water from the chain and leave it on some tissue paper over a radiator to dry. This leaves me with bare, clean metal for my fresh lube's adhesive to bond to.
Applying new lube should be done as per the manufacturer's instructions, just make sure you choose one which is relevent to your riding conditions (wet/dry).
I'm not as thorough as SteveUK about cleaning my chain but I use one of those "chain cleaner" devices with low odor paint thinner. After you oil each link with a drop of lube jam a couple of finger tips into the bottom of the chain and spin the crank. The idea is to spin the rollers with your finger tips so it will carry the lube into them where you need it most.

·
just along for the ride
3,033 Posts
For oil based lubes use thinners or kerosene. For wax based lubes use naptha. Soak it then I just blow out the residue with compressed air to get it nice and dry before relubing.

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
Brown_Teeth said:
For oil based lubes use thinners or kerosene. For wax based lubes use naptha. Soak it then I just blow out the residue with compressed air to get it nice and dry before relubing.
Naptha? you must be quick to be able blow it off before it evaporates:eek:

·
Registered
874 Posts
You need three things for an explosion. Air, fuel(vapourized is better) and spark. Compressed air and vapourized fuel in your garage is asking for trouble. If you're doing it outside you can get away with it but I wouldn't recommend it to a friend.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.