Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have around $2300 to spend on a bike. I can buy a high end frame and fork and install the components from my hardtail or i can buy a cheaper fully built bike. I am looking at bikes like the santa cruz nomad or the 6.6. Please name some suggestions for other bikes in either of the categories. I have decided on the new 2007 Manitou nixon for the fork if i buy a frame. Love to hear your input. i will be using this bike for dirt jumping cross country and 6 foot and under hucks on occasion.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Well, what are the components on your current bike?

When you say dirt jumping, you mean somthing like launching off a jump or two that you would find in the trail, as opposed to going out and riding jumps like this, right?
http://www.bmx-zone.com/articlePic.php?id=54

OK, now that that's cleaded up, I'll actually talk about bikes. :D
If I were you, I'd do two things.
1. Buy a Giant Reign. They're tons cheaper than the 6.6 or Nomad, and are still excellent, excellent bikes.
2. Not buy a Nixon. A guy I ride with has one on his Reign, and I can't stand the thing. Look at the Fox 36 instead.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have a bunch of buddies who dirt jump like the above picture and i have a habit of following them on my very cross county oriented hardtail and breaking wheelsets and headsets on the jumps. I hope to remedy this with my new bike as well as my back problems. I used to race to cross country but quit due to time constraints. I am have a little bit of a grudge against giants for various reasons but i guess i could get over it if need be. The reason i am leaning towards the 2007 nixon on my bike has to do with the fact that i like my bikes light. The 2007 nixon is about 4,5 pounds adjustable travel 20m axel 160mm of travel .

·
Purveyor of Trail Tales!
1,189 Posts
My experience.......

ikilledkenny2 said:
I have around $2300 to spend on a bike. I can buy a high end frame and fork and install the components from my hardtail or i can buy a cheaper fully built bike. I am looking at bikes like the santa cruz nomad or the 6.6. Please name some suggestions for other bikes in either of the categories. I have decided on the new 2007 Manitou nixon for the fork if i buy a frame. Love to hear your input. i will be using this bike for dirt jumping cross country and 6 foot and under hucks on occasion.
I believe the Reign to be the best value for the money but I would also use the Fox Talas (sp?) 36 fork. I also looked at the SC Nomad but at that time it was an 8 week wait to get one. I settled on the Specialized Enduro Pro and have been delighted with its performance and durability. I use it for just the activities you have in mind. I think you can get the Enduro as a frame but I’m not sure about the Reign. I also have a Giant STP jump bike that has treated me well.

2005 Specialized Enduro Pro, size Medium. Stock build with the following changes:

• Added a GravityDropper seatpost w/a 4 inch drop.
• Added an eThirteen DRS chainguide and bashguard.
• Added a Core Rat top tube Crash Pad and a Stem Pad.
• Added Bar Ends.
• Replaced the 26” mid-rise handlebar w/a 28” Truvativ Holzfeller high-rise handlebar.
• Replaced the 70mm 10 degree rise stem w/a Thompson 50mm 0 degree rise stem.
• Replaced stock tires with WTB 2.3” Weir Wolf in back and a WTB 2.5” Timber Wolf in front.
• Installed Stans Tubeless Kit
• Replaced stock rear wheel w/quick release with a Specialized Big Hit rear wheel with a solid axle.
• Installed Azonic A-Frame flat pedals.
• Replaced stock Specialized saddle with a WTB Laser V saddle.

The final weight w/all these changes is 35 lbs. 12 ounces. This thing is so much fun on the downhills that I have to work to remember the following golden rule:

“The most important nut on the whole bike is the one that connects the handlebar to the seat. So don’t crank it down so tight that you can’t back off when appropriate.”:D

That said it is a very capable climber as long as you aren’t concerned with how fast you’re climbing. In our group we consider it an excellent tool for any “social climbing” that you need to do!

Michael:thumbsup:

·
notabouttoseeyourlight
2,664 Posts
2007 Turner RFX.... sooooo sweet. If I was in the market for a bike like that, I'd be all over it!

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
The 6-Pack would likely push you out of your target budget, but they are pretty nice bikes. :)

The Reign is an excellent bike and a super value. Among the many bikes I have tried in the past few years, it has been one of my favorites. I would look long and hard at those. The frames are probably the same across the various levels within a travel group, so just get the one with the best parts you can afford.

·
Registered
443 Posts
You can forget about a Nomad for that budget and i do not think specialized sells a six inch travel enduro for under $3000 (the cheaper ones have 140mm of travel.)
There are some great sales right now on the commencal 6 inch travel bikes from last year, see price point or greenfish, also you might want to look at the kona line, they pack a lot of good stuff for a fair price.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
No bike that you would want to trail ride is going to be much of a dirt jumper at all, and vice versa. If you really want to do both, buy two bikes. If you want light, (that's exactly why the guy I ride with bought the Nixon) the 36 Float is about the same weight (if I recall correctly), and is a much, much, much better fork.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't wan't a bike that will be great at dirt jumping just something that will hold up to the stress. But the nixon is quite a bit cheaper if you go with the lower models.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
ikilledkenny2 said:
I don't wan't a bike that will be great at dirt jumping just something that will hold up to the stress. But the nixon is quite a bit cheaper if you go with the lower models.
OK, reading your Sig, and it's description of your bike helps. Here's what I would do:
1. Buy a Giant Reign frame
2. Buy a Fox 36 Float RC2 for the Giant
3. Put the components from you Trek onto the Giant
4. Go ride

Oh, one thing: Which Crossmax wheels do you have? XL, SL, or ES?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had crosswax sl broke got crossland on the fly. I have to buy a new wheelset along with new frame and fork. I am considering hope pro II 2 hubs 20mm and mavic 819 rims. Adds up to under 400. If I buy hubs on ebay.

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,453 Posts
Hardtails Are Better said:
OK, reading your Sig, and it's description of your bike helps. Here's what I would do:
1. Buy a Giant Reign frame
2. Buy a Fox 36 Float RC2 for the Giant
3. Put the components from you Trek onto the Giant
4. Go ride

Oh, one thing: Which Crossmax wheels do you have? XL, SL, or ES?
Complete '06 Reign 1s were going cheap if there are anymore left.

Reign 6.7 frames were $1100 w/ a dhx3 coil. A 160mm U-turn Domain or Lyric would be a good fork for it, it can be turned down to 115mm for climbing or djs. You could also upgrade the dhx3 to a dhx5 and still be in budget.

The 6.6 or Nomad are a lot more cash. I'd try to take them for a test ride and see what you think.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
reign is starting to be more and more appealing. One other thing what what kind of shock should i get? I weigh about 160 and i am about 6,0 ft but i am constantley growing latley. I am leaning towards an air shock like the dhx and the float for the adjustabillity factore but i have heard coils are better for jumping.

·
Your bike is incorrigible
3,179 Posts
If I had that money to spend on a frame and fork, I would go with a Heckler and Pike Air. So you lose a half inch of suspension.:rolleyes: The second choice would be the Reign. It all would depend on whether or not I wanted to build a bike or buy it complete.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I reccommend the pike as well for your front fork. it's fairly light at a little over 5lbs (you can get the pike air under 5 I believe) and gives you awsome adjustability and feel. You also get the 20mm maxle, which is sweet. I have the dhx air 5.0 and I like it a lot, although I think I'm at the upward end of it's weight capacity at 240+ in gear. the dhx air (or the float) would be perfect for you at 160 lbs., and you wouldn't need to get the 5.0. You could go with the 4.0 and still have propedal adjust.

·
I ride with tools
1,376 Posts
Cheaper ain't better

ikilledkenny2 said:
A buddy of mine has the Nixon and it's pure crap. Mucho stiction that has not gone away after many hard miles.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Giant Reign

There is a reason so many people keep recommending the Giant Reign. I have a new Trance myself and really like the bike and its FS design.

·
Registered
443 Posts
At that price point your better off getting a new bike and selling the old stuff then buying the frame and fork. A new heckler with x9 and fox float 140mm fork is 2699 or if you want bigger the new reign X with the 36 is the same price. Be warned nixxons are CRAP compared to the fox 36.

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
Hardtails Are Better said:
If you want light, (that's exactly why the guy I ride with bought the Nixon) the 36 Float is about the same weight (if I recall correctly), and is a much, much, much better fork.
But, the Fox is at a MUCH, MUCH, MUCH higher price depending on the Nixon he is looking at.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts