Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Fat Skis/Fat Tires
Joined
·
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm riding the Punisher tomorrow in Tahoe, and although it's a sub-30 mile ride, most of it's above 8,000' in elevation, and a good portion of the climbing is technical.

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to pre-during-post ride nutrition, so help me out here: what kinds of foods should I be taking in the night before, and what's a good nutrition regimen during the ride?

I typically don't put much thought into the night before, but have a good breakfast of oatmeal and a banana the morning of. On the ride, I use hammer gel with caffeine, shot blocks, cytomax, corn nuts, and a Clif Bar or two. The last time I rode this route, I could feel the cramps coming, but thankfully they stayed around the corner.

Help me; I'm dumb.
 

·
Crazed Country Rebel
Joined
·
6,345 Posts
e-bo-b said:
I'm riding the Punisher tomorrow in Tahoe, and although it's a sub-30 mile ride, most of it's above 8,000' in elevation, and a good portion of the climbing is technical.

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to pre-during-post ride nutrition, so help me out here: what kinds of foods should I be taking in the night before, and what's a good nutrition regimen during the ride?

I typically don't put much thought into the night before, but have a good breakfast of oatmeal and a banana the morning of. On the ride, I use hammer gel with caffeine, shot blocks, cytomax, corn nuts, and a Clif Bar or two. The last time I rode this route, I could feel the cramps coming, but thankfully they stayed around the corner.

Help me; I'm dumb.
drink LOTS of beer.
 

·
Fat Skis/Fat Tires
Joined
·
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
iheartbicycles said:
drink LOTS of beer.
I need to figure out what's going on with that 5 hour mark cramping. It went away pretty quick, but on the Spooner-Toad's ride, 5 hours would probably put me around Star Lake or so. Cramps at that point would be devastating. What were you taking, electrolyte wise?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
It was actually a bit late for you to be asking. Trying something new (like our night before suggestions) is a pretty big no no. You should know that.

You've just got to experiment with what works for you. If this means burritos or cheeseburgers, so be it. Basically, top up on good protein and carbs.
 

·
Crazed Country Rebel
Joined
·
6,345 Posts
El Castigador said:
I need to figure out what's going on with that 5 hour mark cramping. It went away pretty quick, but on the Spooner-Toad's ride, 5 hours would probably put me around Star Lake or so. Cramps at that point would be devastating. What were you taking, electrolyte wise?
I learned late in my cycling career (if you'll allow me to call it that) to eat more, drink more and ingest more electrolytes than I think I need.

Drink before you're thirsty. Eat before you're hungry. Ingest lots of salts.

Try not to burn muscle fiber. Stay aerobic as much as possible during long rides - avoid anaerobic bursts. Spin low gears.
 

·
Fat Skis/Fat Tires
Joined
·
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
iheartbicycles said:
I learned late in my cycling career (if you'll allow me to call it that) to eat more, drink more and ingest more electrolytes than I think I need.

Drink before you're thirsty. Eat before you're hungry. Ingest lots of salts.

Try not to burn muscle fiber. Stay aerobic as much as possible during long rides - avoid anaerobic bursts. Spin low gears.
Were those Nuun tablets you were taking? I'm not sure if the Shot Blocks are doing much for me...maybe I'll try the Margarita flavor since they have more salt.

Any experience with pickle juice? A lot of those Rose-Toad's clowns swear by it.
 

·
Crazed Country Rebel
Joined
·
6,345 Posts
El Castigador said:
Were those Nuun tablets you were taking? I'm not sure if the Shot Blocks are doing much for me...maybe I'll try the Margarita flavor since they have more salt.

Any experience with pickle juice? A lot of those Rose-Toad's clowns swear by it.
I use electrolyte packets available at whole foods. they have potassium, sodium, magnesium, calcium and lots of vitamin c. They taste like sugar free gatorade. pickly juice most likely doesn't contain the right mix of stuff... shot blocks aren't nearly enough. If you're cramping it's cause you don't have the eloctrolytes that you need.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top