Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 5 spot....Im trying to build it up nice and light.

I am currently running my F100x on it, but I know thats not right. I need something with 5 inches.

Anyway, I want to go Fox. I need to buy used, or cheap. Preferably under 350.

Are all vanilla shocks coil? I assume that the coil shocks are heavier than the air ones?

I was thinking Talas, do you think that would be my best bet?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
It depends.

mattsteve said:
I just got a 5 spot....Im trying to build it up nice and light.

I am currently running my F100x on it, but I know thats not right. I need something with 5 inches.

Anyway, I want to go Fox. I need to buy used, or cheap. Preferably under 350.

Are all vanilla shocks coil? I assume that the coil shocks are heavier than the air ones?

I was thinking Talas, do you think that would be my best bet?

Thanks!!
Vanilla is the Coil version of the fork. R=Rebound. RL=Rebound+Lockout. RLC=Rbound, Lockout, and Compression (adjusters)

Float is the Air version of the same fork, with teh same designators for the models.

TALAS is an Air spring, with a travel adjuster. Travel Adjustable Linear Air Spring. This means that the spring rate is the same reguardless of travel setting.

How light are you trying to make the bike? What rear shock? Riding style?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the relpy. That helps a lot!

Im down to the float or talas.

I am just trying to keep the weight down on the bike, I like to go uphill just as much as I like to go down. I just came from a Flux.....so it kinda seems like a beast....

I am correct to assume that there is a pretty good weight difference between the coil and air versions of the shocks, right?

Tx

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.