Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
a.k.a. MTBMaven
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I'm getting a 575 and I have a Vanilla 125 RL right now that I want to replace when I sell my current frame. I was planning on getting the Pike Team or Race. I currently have a King ISO Disc with QR. For some reason I though one could convert the QR version to a 20mm version. Turns out you can't. So in comes the AM I. Obviously a great fork and it's QR. The difference in cost between getting the cheaper Pike, replacing the King hub, and getting the front wheel rebuilt, versus getting the more expensive AM I but not having to rebuild the wheel is about $60 more for the AM I. If sell the QR King hub for ~$90-$100, that puts the difference at ~$150-$160. What would you do?

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Rear hub quality is critical. Font hub quality is not. While King front hubs are very nice (I have a King Disco, King ISO, and King 20mm front), you really do not need anything that swanky up front. Get a less expensive 20mm hub (like a Hope Bulb) which is still good quality, and build a new front wheel. If you recycle the rim you will only be out the cost of the hub and spokes. Save another $30 by building it yourself. Jenson builds wheels for free but you would have to buy a rim from them too. Get the Pike if that's what you had your heart set on. They are wicked cheap and the air version works well.

·
a.k.a. MTBMaven
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pike Air?

What the heck are you talking about? :D (reference to another post) I been reading your posts about the Pike and know that you like the Pike air. Which model is the Pike air? I'm having a hard time gleaning any real information from the RockShox site.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
It is just that, a Pike with no coils. There is no wind down feature as well, (untill 06) but it is quite a bit lighter. I think it does have the compression/floodgate feature. You can checkout all these forks at bti-usa.com. They list the different features of the different Pikes.

·
a.k.a. MTBMaven
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I guess RockShox doesn't care enough about the air version to put it up on their site (unless I'm just blind because I couldn't find this model). The following info is from BTI:
# 2005 Pike-Team (DualAir) fork model: Made in Taiwan
# Dual-Air spring system via Schrader valves: convertible between 130/140mm travel with supplied All-Travel spacers (comes 140mm)
# Upgradable to PopLoc handlebar lockout (separate kit available)
# MotionControl oil damping with external compression+lockout, rebound, and floodgate adjustments
# 1-1/8 in. threadless aluminum steerer with 32mm Easton-EA70 aluminum stanchions pressed into a hollow, forged 7050-aluminum (black) crown with integrated PopLoc cable stop
# 1-piece magnesium lower leg: IS-QR* disc brake mounts = no V-brake *(IS-QR requires thinner caliper adapter than IS-TA: Psylo-Tullio style)
# (T-A) Proprietary 20x110mm Maxle (quick release) Through-Axle kit
# 3.95 lb (1.80 kg): 507-517mm axle-crown +/- 5mm (2.7 in. tire OK)

At 4 pounds that is light. I might think about waiting for the '06, light weight and height adjustment. Any word as to when the '06 will hit the market?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.