Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey

I just spent the week in colorado riding an intense 5.5 evp w/ swinger 4-way shock. I am so impressed with this bike that I am going to get my very own spyder ( i dont need all the travel of the 5.5). What shock should i get on this bike? It will be ridden and raced hard on technical trails. I have yet to be impressed by any fox forx so I will probably be trying out a manitou or possibly a marzocchi fork. I have heard about problems with the 5th element shock so I am probably looking at the Ava propedal or the Swinger 3-way. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Max

·
Registered
80 Posts
Marzocchi

I have the Spider with a 2003 Marzocchi Marathon 105 mm fork, and the Fox AVA RL rear and they work well together. You don't need ProPedal or other platform shocks--remember this is a VPP bike so it doesn't bob anyway. Using a platform shock on this bike is just succumbing to hype.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Suggest adjustable height

Ken2 said:
I have the Spider with a 2003 Marzocchi Marathon 105 mm fork, and the Fox AVA RL rear and they work well together. You don't need ProPedal or other platform shocks--remember this is a VPP bike so it doesn't bob anyway. Using a platform shock on this bike is just succumbing to hype.
For trail riding the 100mm travel would usually be best, but 80 would be better for racing. And I'd go with air to keep it light. That's what I'd look for in a fork for the Spider for race and trail.

Also platform shocks and forks really improve weaker, less efficent suspension designs. The Spider is not a weak design and some would feel a platform shock makes it too harsh riding.

- ray

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I agree, the spider really does not benefit at all from a platform shock. It just gets really harsh. Unfortunately there really is no longer an option since no one is really making non-platform shocks anymore. I rode my Spider for about 1.5 years with a non-propedal AVA and it was fantastic. I had to use the AVA on another bike for a while and put in a 5th. The 5th really needs to be run with the platform pressure all the way to the minimum otherwise the bike will feel way too stiff.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Cane Creek, Risse, Stratos.

Hecubus said:
I agree, the spider really does not benefit at all from a platform shock. It just gets really harsh. Unfortunately there really is no longer an option since no one is really making non-platform shocks anymore. I rode my Spider for about 1.5 years with a non-propedal AVA and it was fantastic. I had to use the AVA on another bike for a while and put in a 5th. The 5th really needs to be run with the platform pressure all the way to the minimum otherwise the bike will feel way too stiff.
Cane Creek, Risse, Stratos, and I'm sure there are other shock makers that still sell shocks without platform reactive damping.

- ray

·
Team Mistermoonbikes
62 Posts
better with spv

I think spv and other other valves makes better all the bikes... if you can ride with a spv, why chose other rear shox... I have a 5th in my spider and no problem

in the fork I prefer 100mm, a minute 2:00, a fox or a marathon...

sorry for my english, I'm not from USA

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
derby said:
Cane Creek, Risse, Stratos, and I'm sure there are other shock makers that still sell shocks without platform reactive damping.

- ray
Sorry, I should have specified that come available with the Spider. There is no option to buy it with a non-platform shock anymore. None of those shocks are tested with the Spider either though so its anyones guess how well they will work or fit (or how easy to find and adapt them) given that it also needs a high volume shock like the AVA and 5th so you can't just stick anything back there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.