Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Can't stop the Prophet
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just what the topic asks.

Tell me what kind of shifters you are running as well as the pros and cons. I have already been to the reviews section but I am friggin confused. I am building up my prophet and am trying to decide which shifters to fit to my bike. I think I am between the Sram x9 (regular not the twisties) and the Shimano XT M770. Anyone have/had these and if not what have ya got? :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
USED2COULD
1,274 Posts
I run XTR dual controls (975) on my Rush, I love them. Before that I used the XT dual controls (775).
My 29er has the M770 triggers. I like that you can adjust the position of the shifters left to right with respect to the clamp.
The shift action feels solid, and I actually have used the 2-way release.

I'd prefer the full position adjustability of the X0 or XTR triggers but if I switched it would be for another set of XTR DC's.

Oh and if it matters I use my XT triggers with the XTR shadow rear der.

brows141 said:
Just what the topic asks.

Tell me what kind of shifters you are running as well as the pros and cons. I have already been to the reviews section but I am friggin confused. I am building up my prophet and am trying to decide which shifters to fit to my bike. I think I am between the Sram x9 (regular not the twisties) and the Shimano XT M770. Anyone have/had these and if not what have ya got? :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,393 Posts
Second generation XTR and XT dualies. Run with RR XTR's.

The 2nd gen ones are the bomb.:rockon: :band:

#1's? :prft: :yikes:

I do have a set of older XTR pods on a Merlin with a Shadow XTR, that runs sweetly too.
:cool:

·
Can't stop the Prophet
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NS2000X said:
I run XTR dual controls (975) on my Rush, I love them. Before that I used the XT dual controls (775).
My 29er has the M770 triggers. I like that you can adjust the position of the shifters left to right with respect to the clamp.
The shift action feels solid, and I actually have used the 2-way release.

I'd prefer the full position adjustability of the X0 or XTR triggers but if I switched it would be for another set of XTR DC's.

Oh and if it matters I use my XT triggers with the XTR shadow rear der.
Yeah I should have asked about the rear deraileur combination as well. I tell you I am soo lost it isn't funny.

Just to let everyone know what my situation is here is a little detail:
I am stationed overseas and will be buying these from the US of course (online). I will have my LBS assemble my bike, who the owner is of course a good friend of mine. Now this isn't a good thing as he keeps telling me "oh no, that's no good" and he automatically tries to sell me something from his shop. Now I wouldn't mind buying my components from him it's just that the prices here are ridiculous and the dollar is doing bad compared to the euro. If I buy my components from him I will end up paying about 3 times the cost and will exceed my budget (well I actually don't have a budget but anyway). With the extra money I could buy alot of other goodies which I will need. Just to give you an example when I told him I was looking at getting a prophet he told me "there's no representative here for those. Why don't you come to the shop and have a look at some of the Specialized we have?". Now I have nothing against Specialized but I wanted a Prophet Damn It! and I wasn't going to spend 2,500 euro on a bike I didn't want. This is what is pissing me off and confusing me at the same time.

So help me out guys!!!!

·
fella
272 Posts
XT 8-speed RapidFire triggers here. Work great.
I had SRAM X.0 twisties before, but I much prefer 8-speed on the back.

·
Registered
554 Posts
brows141, perhaps you don't know this but as you're going to order stuff online Chain Reaction Cycles in the UK has excellent prices on Shimano stuff. Last time I checked they were considerable lower than in the US.

Oh, and there's a savings coupon in the Deals forum if you're interested.

And I'm not related to them in anyway, just trying to help.

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
X.0 Grip Shifts and rear derailleur on my Scalpel (front trim, faster shifts, lighter) and XT Dual-Controls on the Prophet with a XTR inversed rear derailleur... I have old SRAM Plasma Grip Shifts on my F1000 combined with an old XTR inversed derailleur (with the integrated pulley for the cable) so I really need to think which way to twist as both bikes shift in different directions... I think next bike/transmission will be the XX triggers. I get used to anything really.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Dan Gerous said:
X.0 Grip Shifts and rear derailleur on my Scalpel (front trim, faster shifts, lighter) and XT Dual-Controls on the Prophet with a XTR inversed rear derailleur... I have old SRAM Plasma Grip Shifts on my F1000 combined with an old XTR inversed derailleur (with the integrated pulley for the cable) so I really need to think which way to twist as both bikes shift in different directions... I think next bike/transmission will be the XX triggers. I get used to anything really.
Dan, you should get rid of those Plasmas... and sell them to me :D

·
Registered
553 Posts
I ride a complete 2008 XT drivetrain. I love it, but then I haven't had a chance to really use any SRAM stuff. I'm sure I'd like x-9 or equivalent stuff just as much.

·
Registered
229 Posts
sram x9 triggers, love them sooo much, rear, x9 derrailer, great precions , but hate how dirty the pulleys get,

·
Registered
132 Posts
jiar577 said:
brows141, perhaps you don't know this but as you're going to order stuff online Chain Reaction Cycles in the UK has excellent prices on Shimano stuff. Last time I checked they were considerable lower than in the US.

Oh, and there's a savings coupon in the Deals forum if you're interested.

And I'm not related to them in anyway, just trying to help.
I agree - Chain reaction is pretty good value.

I wnet looking for the savings coupon but could not find it - can you point me in the right direction??

Thanks

·
Weekend Warrior
146 Posts
Had X9 with an X9 rdr, and everything was toasty and warm.

Now running XT shifters with a shadow, and again, happy as can be.

Both seem incredibly reliable.

·
Scalpel Fan
606 Posts
I have X7 shifters w/ X9 RDs on both bikes. Honestly, I should have sprung for the X9s when I built my 29er, though. The levers are plastic on the X7 and I do notice them flex. I think I'd also give grip shifts a try given the chance to build again (especially on the FD). For the price, though, the X7s are fine. Basically, you get what you pay for.

·
Can't stop the Prophet
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok so I have been reading all the responses and there are some interesting setups going on here. Call me lucky but yesterday I was presented with an offer to good to pass up. I was offered a set of new 2009 XTR shiters (F&R) for $150USD. I think the price is right and within my "budget". I have semi commited to buying these, what do you guys think??

Oh and by the way, thanks for your responses and let me know about the XTR's!!!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I allways wanted X0 transmission and now I have it on my moto 1. They're superb. Crispy feeling and beatiful looks. My jekyll had xtr older 960 derailluer and newer 970 shifters. They work also nicely but I never used to loose shifting performance because of lighter spring tension. I like sram "klik" performance better. My perp has x5 derailluer and shifter and I they work just fine. System six has 105 but maube someday sram reds..Lots of cash:rolleyes:

·
fella
272 Posts
brows141 said:
I was offered a set of new 2009 XTR shiters (F&R) for $150USD. I think the price is right and within my "budget". I have semi commited to buying these, what do you guys think??
Definitely go for it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts