Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a long way down the track of purchasing a Durance. There are a couple of questions I need help with in terms of the final build.

Seatpost
What is the best seatpost for the bike?? I realise the Speedball is a perfect fit however I don't really need the adjustability or the weight.

I have read the Thomson can have problems. Is there anything else I should consider??

BTW I will be using a Brooks Ti rail saddle.

Stem
I am quite keen on the adjustable stem especially as the seat position seems along way back. In theory 80mm would be a perfect fit so the 75/85/95 would allow some shortening or lengthening around that value. Any thoughts or other options??

I am 6'1" and 240lbs

Thanks

·
Registered
225 Posts
I run a Use Sumo Alloy seatpost - Light as a Thomson, comes in 30.9mm, is maybe a bit lighter withd infinate adjustment. Although nothing wrong with a Thomson and the Durance has a steeper seat angle in relation to the ML7.5 so that should work too.

The Maverick adjustable stem is the best option (if you run 31.8 bars) this stem only works with the DUC fork though.

Skleins

·
Whatever
585 Posts
chcmuzza said:
I am a long way down the track of purchasing a Durance. There are a couple of questions I need help with in terms of the final build.

Seatpost
What is the best seatpost for the bike?? I realise the Speedball is a perfect fit however I don't really need the adjustability or the weight.

I have read the Thomson can have problems. Is there anything else I should consider??

BTW I will be using a Brooks Ti rail saddle.

Stem
I am quite keen on the adjustable stem especially as the seat position seems along way back. In theory 80mm would be a perfect fit so the 75/85/95 would allow some shortening or lengthening around that value. Any thoughts or other options??

I am 6'1" and 240lbs

Thanks
I'm a bit confused by your comments. A Thomson post will last forever -- it's as durable as you can get without going to a downhill post. And if you're concerned about weight, there are lighter, though less comfortable saddles than the Brooks. The SpeedBall will change how you ride though (for the better), just lets you do even gnarlier stuff going down.

Regarding the stem, I really wish Maverick had a 31.8mm non-adjustable stem! Remember if you use riser bars you have a bit of adjustability with them, by rotating forward / backward, though not too much. The non-adjustable stem is significantly lighter than the adjustable.

·
Schipperkes are cool.
4,170 Posts
I have seen a lot of Thomson posts fracture/break/snap due to compression dips, aka G-outs.

Bontrager makes a 30.9 post with the 360* seat rail clamp that will allow any seat tube angle; bomb-proof and simple.

Mav's 31.8 adjustable stem is a very well designed part, do it. If the bars are too high, try a wide flat bar.

·
Hoops - Big and Small
1,083 Posts
I'm at 200lbs

MINImtnbiker said:
A Thomson post will last forever -- it's as durable as you can get without going to a downhill post.
Bent two Thomson's - pretty much my fault both times. I moved on to the Bontrager and haven't bent it yet.

chcmuzza - I would say go with the adjustable stem if that's your gut reaction/first instinct. I'm a bit over 6' and fit for me is an ever changing thing (within a few mm's of course). If you ever change your bars or riding style you'll have an easier time adjusting your reach.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info folks.

The reason for the Brooks is a comfort one. It does weigh more than other saddles I have tried but it stops the boys from going numb on long rides!!

I will try the Thomson, the rides I do aren't overly technical and don't involve jumps.

Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.