Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stock seat and it is uncomfortable for long road rides.

My lbs recommended a Specialized Phenom $90.00 Canadian. He said it is popular and a good price?

ever heard of it?

I have a Specialized Tri Cross and the seeat is great

I do mostly groomed trails, and go gravel ones.

what is a good seat and what should I expect to pay??

Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have 2. One on my cross bike and one on my mtb.

I went with the wider width and while it has less padding than any saddle I had used I found the wider fit and slight flex made it a more comfortable ride once I got used to it.

·
Registered
762 Posts
stewie said:
I have a stock seat and it is uncomfortable for long road rides.
what is a good seat and what should I expect to pay??
Thanks
Hi Stewie,
Well of course you'll need a 29er-specific saddle! :D

But seriously, there's no one 'best' saddle, 'cos everyone's posterior is different.
So the best advice is try sitting on (or preferably riding on) a whole range of saddles.
  • Usually a good bike-shop will oblige you, but an even better option is to hang-out at the trailhead, and ask other riders if you can test-ride their saddle. :)
  • Some saddles will instantly bring tears to your eyes instantly, while some will feel 'right'.
  • But remember that a 'cushy' gel-padded model that feels luxurious in the shop generally feels awful after 2-3 hours (or even less) in the saddle.

Having said all that, here's 3 well-known saddles that I recommend you short-list:
  • SDB Bel-air
  • Terry Men's fly
  • WTB Pure V
Hope this helps

·
innate behaviour
116 Posts
hootsmon said:
Hi Stewie,
Well of course you'll need a 29er-specific saddle! :D

But seriously, there's no one 'best' saddle, 'cos everyone's posterior is different.
So the best advice is try sitting on (or preferably riding on) a whole range of saddles.
  • Usually a good bike-shop will oblige you, but an even better option is to hang-out at the trailhead, and ask other riders if you can test-ride their saddle. :)
  • Some saddles will instantly bring tears to your eyes instantly, while some will feel 'right'.
  • But remember that a 'cushy' gel-padded model that feels luxurious in the shop generally feels awful after 2-3 hours (or even less) in the saddle.

Having said all that, here's 3 well-known saddles that I recommend you short-list:
  • SDB Bel-air
  • Terry Men's fly
  • WTB Pure V
Hope this helps
I have the terry fly ti....nice saddle! Once broken in...odds are you will be happy with it. Yeh...there are no guarantees on comfort bec. one saddle may fit you, but not your buddy...and so on...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.