Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a GoPro Hero HD for Christmas and it did not come with a SD card. I know some people have had trouble with certain cards and I am wondering what is the best card for the money (brand and size) that will work well. I have seen 32gb cards ranging from $75 to $400???

Thanks,
Jeff

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
6,171 Posts
I just ordered the slightly less problem prone contour HD. Just search the threads and on line support forum---I remember it being mentioned somewhere which brands had been officially tested. I thought maybe Kingston is one of them.

I sent a email to VIO and received a reply today that HD is definately "in the works", that they are paying attention to customer feedback, but development and timeline has not been cast yet....argh...could be a year, could be 3 years---they're holding their cards close.

jrob1775 said:
I just got a GoPro Hero HD for Christmas and it did not come with a SD card. I know some people have had trouble with certain cards and I am wondering what is the best card for the money (brand and size) that will work well. I have seen 32gb cards ranging from $75 to $400???

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
629 Posts
I am using a Kodak 8GB 2 class without issue and ordered a Kingston 16GB 4 class.
I also used a Kodak 4 GB 4 class and had no issues - I'm not sure what the class differences mean in terms of actual camera performance.
a 16GB card can be had on Amazon for less than $40 with free shipping. 32GB cards will outlast your battery and you can get 2 16's for less $$. That way if 1 card fails, you have a backup.

What are some of the issues being reported with SD cards? Aren't they all the same except class?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I may have a defective unit, or old firmware, but so far my experience has been problematic.

The freebie MaxFlash SDHC 4GB class 6 card would only record 3 minutes or so worth of video at a time. Admittedly, the video was very nice at the 960p setting.

I thought the memory card was at fault, so I ordered the Kingston Ultimate 133x 16GB SDHC. With this card, I could not even get the camera to record video. When I initiated the video, it would simply beep and immediately stop. After inspecting the file system on the PC, no video files were created. I know the card works because I can copy files back and forth with the camera plugged into the USB port.

I'm waiting to hear back from GoPro, but I'm starting to wonder if a lot of these memory card issues might actually be operating system glitches with the camera rather than hardware related.

·
Woodlot local
497 Posts
This "SD CARD INCOMPATIBILITY" issue is turning out to be a royal PITA!!!

I had issues with a card that works perfectly in several devices I own and then in the GoPro HD it recorded 1 video then nothing. I reformatted and still nothing. This is a GOPRO issue that appears to be a problem they are working on with a firmware update. Luckily I remembered I had a SD card in my cell phone and used it with success on a recent ride in a GoPro HD.

I feel really bad for people that are spending good money on quality memory cards only to find out that their camera finds it incompatible.

So to contribute to the list of cards that actually work in the GoPro HD camera I can confirm that the following card is GOOD.

Core Micro - Micro SD HC 4GB Class 6 (Micro SD Card used in an adapter within the GoPro HD)

·
Team Fearless Descender
1,976 Posts
I will add to the "so far, so good" cards. Just got my GP HD today and did some testing. So far I'm impessed. I have the GP Wide and liked that, but the HD is very nice. So far, have only used a SanDisk Extreame III 4gb / class 6 and have had not problems while testing (shooting several times to a full card).

·
Registered
373 Posts
Definitely don't seem to be having much luck with a 16GB Transcend card. The first video attempt on power-up results in a few seconds of what appears to be video recording, but nothing actually gets saved to the card. After that, any shutter click just causes three beeps and the number on the front indexes by one. Off in search of a Kingston card...

·
The MTB Lab
2,556 Posts
SD Cards seem to be hit and miss, my Transcend 16GB has worked like a charm? I wouldn't bother with a 32GB unless you have 2 battery packs.

Note: all of the sport cameras will only record at a max of 4GB files, and then they start a new segment/file, so if you are recording constantly you will see files like this...3.84GB, 3.83GB, 3.84GB, etc.

·
Registered
390 Posts
fux said:
gopro hd comes with its own rechargeble.
I won mine in a contest so I'm not really sure what model it is. There is no reference to model name anywhere on it, or the packaging.

It did come with a surfboard mount and I know it takes AAA batteries. I took a minute long test video and it seems to be a standard aspect camera (no wide-screen, no hd).

Also I had an extra 8GB SD card lying around from my Canon camera and that worked fine. I thought this camera can only use 2GB according to their website.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I only use Sandisk SDHC cards in my GoProHD and my Nikon D90 and have never had a issue in either camera with any of my 5 cards.

I use the Sandisc Extreme 30MB/s cards. they're Class 10. One thing I've found over the years is the higher end brand name flash memory products whether it be a USB stick CF, or SDHC are more reliable.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I got the 16GB card that expires at around 2.5 hrs of recording time on a single battery charge.

Make sure it's at least a class 4 card or the video can be choppy.

Class 6 is more ideal and 10 is the best.

·
Woodlot local
497 Posts
sluflyer06 said:
I only use Sandisk SDHC cards in my GoProHD and my Nikon D90 and have never had a issue in either camera with any of my 5 cards.

I use the Sandisc Extreme 30MB/s cards. they're Class 10. One thing I've found over the years is the higher end brand name flash memory products whether it be a USB stick CF, or SDHC are more reliable.
Please post the specifics of the cards. Size of the card is extremely important for your info to be of any use.

I'm not trying to be a prick, but its all about the details and its the details that GoPro forgot to check that is causing us consumers these 'issues'.

·
The MTB Lab
2,556 Posts
helexia23 said:
I won mine in a contest so I'm not really sure what model it is. There is no reference to model name anywhere on it, or the packaging.

It did come with a surfboard mount and I know it takes AAA batteries. I took a minute long test video and it seems to be a standard aspect camera (no wide-screen, no hd).

Also I had an extra 8GB SD card lying around from my Canon camera and that worked fine. I thought this camera can only use 2GB according to their website.
You have the original HERO (non HD), and as far as I know that have been no reported SD card issues. Here is a picture of the model difference. Besides the size and back battery area, the most obvious thing is that the HD does not have a viewport.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.