Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Alien Surf Team
1,168 Posts
Nothing bike related. The older one isn't interested and the younger one has enough bike stuff already.

My son got a pair of Merril cross-training shoes from his grandparents for free-running. They look pretty cool for MTB so I asked for a pair too. hehehe

·
Registered
61 Posts
Specialized Hotrock 24. Looks pretty sweet and the little one is stoked. I wasn't sure how well he would do since his new bike is about twice the size of his old one but he sure surprised me.

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
Got my oldest son a used Giant mtn bike (I think it's a Yukon). 26" wheels, 14" aluminum frame, Hayes cable discs, Shimano 8sp drive train. The bike is a few years old and cost me 240.00. I found a 2007 SID fork used for 150.00 and swapped that for the cheap Suntour junk that came with the bike. Then swapped out the stock wheels for some Mavic crosslands that I had collecting dust. Total investment was 390.00 for a very trail worthy kids bike.

He's 9 and was riding a 24" wheeled Specialized Hot Rock. The Hot Rock costs the same as his new/used bike did.

Now he has disc brakes, a frame he can grow into, Mavic wheels with UST tubeless tires and a fancy SID fork. The fork is fantastic and the dual air allows it to be adjusted to suit his ultra lightweight.

400.00 is a lot to spend on a kids bike that he will outgrow in a few years. But we don't mind because he loves riding with dad and I have 2 younger kids who are waiting in line for the hand-me-downs.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Early?

Santa brought her her first bike. Maybe a bit early she was only 15 mo.
Yesterday she used it for the first time:

She is now 15.5 months old, LOL. Hoping she will we able to sit on the seat by spring.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Maida7 said:
400.00 is a lot to spend on a kids bike that he will outgrow in a few years. But we don't mind because he loves riding with dad and I have 2 younger kids who are waiting in line for the hand-me-downs.
But he won't outgrow the fork or wheels, so when he grows just get a cheap frame and slap those on.
BTW Dirtrag had a kids feature a while bakc and they found that for most of their kids (6-8 yrs I belive) A really low tire pressure was best, like 15psi or so.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.