Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Wicketed
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Through extensive e-riding I had convinced myself to rationalise my HL flux and 6pack into a 5spot. The medium white frame hanging in my local bike shop was as good as sold in my mind. But when I got to demo one I found it too low and a bit nervy at the front, and shelved the idea. I loved how the rear suspension felt - especially climbing, but I felt that I couldn't give the bike its head on the decents. It didn't feel as confident as the Tracer I demo'd straight after that was running the same fork (fox 32) and appears to have similar geo on paper.

I've since sold the flux and tried lightening the 6pack (32 talas, rp3 and 5.5 rockers). Its good, but the snappy feel of the dw is playing on my mind, and I've started e-riding spots again :madman:

I've read somewhere that the dw bikes sit higher in their travel so was wondering if spot owners had compensated by running more sag...? I think the demo bike I tried was set at 25%. I could probably achieve the right effect by higher rise bars and maybe a shorter stem, but I really need convince myself that I can get the feel right in terms of geometry. I've always trusted DT's numbers before as he seems to nail it for the intended application. I do have a lyrik coil on the 6pack, that I could swap over, but I was hoping to build a lighter spot for longer rides with lots of climbing. I am not expecting the spot to be both a flux and pack by the way, and recognise there are compromises each way.

However, one of the main draws of the Spot is that it can take the Lyric for chunky days, as well as the CCDB I have on the Pack (the Tracer could do the former but not the latter)

The Tracer remains a contender, but I've always been a Turner tart at heart. Thanks in advance for any helpful thoughts.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I had the same problem as you had, the Spot not handling the way I liked it. On my bike, I felt the steering was too slow. Turned out to be the saddle fore-aft position was too far backward. Maybe on your demo-rig, the seat was too far forward? I found the Spot to be really sensitive in that regard.

Anyways, I run 14mm of sag on my Spot.

·
Wicketed
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers for the reply, zono. I didn't get a chance to fiddle with the demo settings much, but think it had an in-line post so that could well account for some of the feeling.

Demo rides are great, but really you need longer to play with things like seat position and stem length - and that is my nagging doubt: i'm pretty sure that in time i could get the spot feeling just right, but £1899 is a lot to part with without being certain...

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
17mm or 30-35%. To me the suspension feels better at the top and mid-stroke and I use a shim to help with BO resistance and to keep it more lively. Also with a little more sag cornering and the head angle feels better to me.

·
tardcore
821 Posts
I took a demo too and wasn't blown away but was also nagged by the pedaling efficiency. I did take the plunge and am now blown away, it's the best bike I've ridden. I needed to set the bike up for me. Seat height, angle, fore and aft, stem length and height all made huge differences. I'm somewhere around 12mm-13mm, I had too many pedal strikes with more sag, it's very rocky where I live.

·
Wicketed
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
interesting. one of the guys i was riding with was demo-ing a spot also, and got a lot of pedal strikes going up but felt it was better on the decents than i did....and i didn't get a single pedal strike following him up the same trail. could well be just an issue of a couple of mm of sag each way...

·
Registered
122 Posts
I believe the official sag figure is 17mm or 34%, I think the recommended starting pressure on the RP23 is body weight in psi minus 25.

I'm running a CCDB on my DW Spot, and have had to go up a spring rate to get the sag correct. I previously ran 400in/lb spring with no preload, but now have a 450in/lb in place with preload.

However, I having only just got the shock back from Cane Creek after being uprated to 2010 spec with the wider damping range, I am still at the early stages of getting it tuned back in again.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
pjlama said:
I took a demo too and wasn't blown away but was also nagged by the pedaling efficiency. I did take the plunge and am now blown away, it's the best bike I've ridden. I needed to set the bike up for me. Seat height, angle, fore and aft, stem length and height all made huge differences. I'm somewhere around 12mm-13mm, I had too many pedal strikes with more sag, it's very rocky where I live.
From your sig line I'm guessing you're in ABQ too...

I'll second your experience regarding pedal strikes and sag. I've had to increase the psi in my RP23 (from what is recommended) to avoid frequent pedal hits on rockier trails.

Anyone concerned with BB height #'s really needs to throw a leg over the DW's in rough terrain. The BB definitely does not feel high while riding the bike.

·
tardcore
821 Posts
I have a Talas 150 which doesn't help with pedal strike, I use the 130 and 110 for climbing and that's when it happens. If I run the air pressure a little higher in the shock it doesn't happen. The weird thing about the DW spot is that because the suspension has no effect on the pedaling, you can run as deep as you want in the travel and you don't feel it moving around so you can induce pedal strikes that way as well. I'm still trying various settings but am getting close.

·
Wicketed
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like it takes quite a while to get things just right. No wonder the demo didn't quite live up to my expectations...

But good to know that with a bit of time and effort things come good.

·
tardcore
821 Posts
This is the best bike I've ridden though and is the perfect single bike. I know people will talk about great pedaling and descending but this bike is as good as it gets so spending the time to dial it in is worth it. I found that running a little extra pressure didn't have a negative effect on how plush the bike feels.

Andy, yeah I'm in ABQ, damn rocks everywhere ;)

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
sag

swan lee said:
Through extensive e-riding I had convinced myself to rationalise my HL flux and 6pack into a 5spot. The medium white frame hanging in my local bike shop was as good as sold in my mind. But when I got to demo one I found it too low and a bit nervy at the front, and shelved the idea. I loved how the rear suspension felt - especially climbing, but I felt that I couldn't give the bike its head on the decents. It didn't feel as confident as the Tracer I demo'd straight after that was running the same fork (fox 32) and appears to have similar geo on paper.

I've since sold the flux and tried lightening the 6pack (32 talas, rp3 and 5.5 rockers). Its good, but the snappy feel of the dw is playing on my mind, and I've started e-riding spots again :madman:

I've read somewhere that the dw bikes sit higher in their travel so was wondering if spot owners had compensated by running more sag...? I think the demo bike I tried was set at 25%. I could probably achieve the right effect by higher rise bars and maybe a shorter stem, but I really need convince myself that I can get the feel right in terms of geometry. I've always trusted DT's numbers before as he seems to nail it for the intended application. I do have a lyrik coil on the 6pack, that I could swap over, but I was hoping to build a lighter spot for longer rides with lots of climbing. I am not expecting the spot to be both a flux and pack by the way, and recognise there are compromises each way.

However, one of the main draws of the Spot is that it can take the Lyric for chunky days, as well as the CCDB I have on the Pack (the Tracer could do the former but not the latter)

The Tracer remains a contender, but I've always been a Turner tart at heart. Thanks in advance for any helpful thoughts.
I had brought this up in my post a little while back concering sag settings only with my shim idea applied on the DW's.
I had been running it bascially at 14mm with the shim, but have since added just a sliver of shim and now set the sag about 16mm, mucho betta.

Could this picture show a little too much fork sag??? Ummmm........almost did not get away with that one, barely rode it out.

Attachments

·
Wicketed
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DCG - looks like a high penalty for getting it wrong in that picture - i.e. not being able to see which rock you're going to break yourself on when you come off :eek:

·
I'm more of a dog person
864 Posts
i'm running a little over 30% sag on mine with a Lyrik solo air up front. the Lyrik gives it a more slack HA similar to last year's RFX, somewhere between 67.5 to 68 degrees. the sag does make a big difference as well. i started out the first couple rides with around 25% and it felt much higher in the rear.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
well

pjlama said:
DGC, can you post a link to the sag thread?
If I can find it I will.
I found what I thought was the post, but it was at the end of a post and no one really posted their sag. I thought there was a different post it got discussed in, but I can not find it. It seems like more and more people are running a touch more sag now that when they first started with the bike.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
DGC said:
Could this picture show a little too much fork sag??? Ummmm........almost did not get away with that one, barely rode it out.
IMHO I think you're using too much travel for that section (haven't been there); the nose looks down

·
Wicketed
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It seems like more and more people are running a touch more sag now that when they first started with the bike
And most are running close to 30%. Even that _dw chap, but I don't know if he knows anything about suspension - for all I know it may just be the way his local shop set it up for him in the first place
;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.