Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my (Batman) R1's and now I need a set of rotors to got with them. I'm going to be running a 160mm front and rear right now, but I might switch to a 140mm rear.

I saw a nice set of 160mm Ashima's with the white centers (would match my bike). They weigh 85 grams. I like the Scrub workhorses, but they are kind of pricey.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
454 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bikerboyj17 said:
I have the Ashima's in 160mm front and back with Marta SL's and they have been nothing short of awesome. Basically no difference from the stock rotors (except weight of course). But I would also consider the Formula rotors. They are lightweight and made to go with your brakes.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/19300-115_FORRR9-3-parts-158-Brakes/Disc/Formula-R1-Rotor-W_-Adapter.htm

These aren't available in 140mm though.
I can get the Ashimas for $20 each though and the Formula rotors are $90 for both.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
KCNC Razor Rotors are nice. I'm running them with Elixir CRs in a 160 frt/140 rear combo. The front rotors are 73gms and the rear are 60ish.

·
weight weenie
97 Posts
Phil335 said:
I can get the Ashimas for $20 each though and the Formula rotors are $90 for both.
You should have asked for the rotors too if you bought your Super Batman R1's from eBay. I got my 160mm Formula rotors + IS adapters front & rear with them for $65 pair. The Formula rotors are superb. They only weigh 87g and 88g and the braking power is awesome. I might try a 140mm Windcutter rear because I have some laying around and the 160mm IS front adapter to use with it.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I'm going to use Formula R1 rotors with my R1 brakes. I may switch to Hope floating rotors after I try these out.

Rotors are really not something that I want to go super lightweight on. First and foremost, I want them to stop every time without any problems.

Does anybody know if Formula R1 rotors come with titanium bolts?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DavidR1 said:
I'm going to use Formula R1 rotors with my R1 brakes. I may switch to Hope floating rotors after I try these out.

Rotors are really not something that I want to go super lightweight on. First and foremost, I want them to stop every time without any problems.

Does anybody know if Formula R1 rotors come with titanium bolts?
With all the research I've done it seems that they don't come with the Ti bolts. I've seen the rotor adapter come with the rotors but thats pretty much it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
On the subject of Hope floating rotors with R1's.. I have used the Hope race X2 rotors with my R1's and the rivets between the carrier and braking surface tend to rub the mounting of the caliper. With some serious fiddling i got it to work, but it put up a fight...

I've also used the ashimas and stock R1 rotors and I believe there is a noticeable difference in performance. the Formula rotors seem much smoother/ predictable IMO.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.