Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at my rock ring this morning and see that I have major cracks at all 4 crank bolts. One of the cracks goes right through to the outer edge of the ring. I'm using a Blackspire C4 rock ring. This must come from my wheeling over large logs, I quite often hit the log with the ring and pivot over. Maybe 2009 should be the year I learn to bunny hop.

Looking for a ring that will take abuse and add to the beauty of my mojo. I once saw a rock ring on a fellows bike that had teeth around it for rachet pedaling over logs, don't remember the make. I'm running the xtr crankset.

Thanks
Straw

·
DWlink Fanboy
201 Posts
straw said:
I was looking at my rock ring this morning and see that I have major cracks at all 4 crank bolts. One of the cracks goes right through to the outer edge of the ring. I'm using a Blackspire C4 rock ring. This must come from my wheeling over large logs, I quite often hit the log with the ring and pivot over. Maybe 2009 should be the year I learn to bunny hop.

Looking for a ring that will take abuse and add to the beauty of my mojo. I once saw a rock ring on a fellows bike that had teeth around it for rachet pedaling over logs, don't remember the make. I'm running the xtr crankset.

Thanks
Straw
IMHO, rock rings fall into the category of "wear and tear", and I don't shed many tears for them if they are damaged. As a result, I am running a pretty cheap Salsa Ring Dinger. It already looks like hell, but has stood up well to the New England granite - so far, as I only have 3 months on it at this point. I figure if it isn't any good and cracks, I can buy another one (cheap) or try another cheap one and see how that works. BTW, I'm also running the FC M970 cranks.

Albert

·
aka dan51
6,022 Posts
I've got some cheap MRP thing. It's about 3/16" thick, and has survived for 4 years with just a few dings. I think if it was plastic I would have busted it to pieces by now.

·
Founder: Dirty3hirties
2,031 Posts
I'm running the race face bashguard. Seems to be holding up fine. Most of my friends run it too. You have to mount it in a specific orientation because the ring is thinned out on one side (which is supposed to hide behind the crank arm so it doesn't get bashed). I forgot to do this when I reinstalled some new crank rings and happened to dent the bashguard on a log. It didn't crack though so I'm pretty satisfied with it. I since corrected it so it won't happen again

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I will take a look at them. I was looking at the FSA site and they have a nice looking bashguard. I didn't even get a full season on the blackspire so I'll go with a metal one this time.

cheers,
Straw

·
half tread will travel
240 Posts
_dw said:
I own e.thirteen, so I run a supercharger.. I've never had one fail.
there is some functional benefit to a thermoplastic ring...for example, you will maintain more momentum as it tends to glide over things...especially logs...as opposed to digging in and grinding over them creating more friction, loss of momentum and a higher risk of going over the bars...

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Tread Mark said:
there is some functional benefit to a thermoplastic ring...for example, you will maintain more momentum as it tends to glide over things...especially logs...as opposed to digging in and grinding over them creating more friction, loss of momentum and a higher risk of going over the bars...
Yes, this was a big part of the brainstorm that made me finally take the leap and bring the thermoplastic bashguard to mountain biking way back when. Good old Lynn Woods, that place was a haven for riding / brainstorming for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.