Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am fed up with Fed Ex and would prefer to do business with retailers who ship with someone besides them, does anyone know of any bike retailers that don't? My current situation revolves around an order placed with performance, but I've got several bad experiences with fed ex in the past and as such would rather support UPS whom I've had great service and timely delivery from in the past. Also with the performance order I have an issue with performance as well, this order took 5 days to ship, I'll give them 2 of those days because it was the weekend, but 3 business days is pretty unacceptable for items that showed in stock, had they been out of stock I would expect contact of some type to inform me of the delay, but I recieved nothing of the sort. Sorry for the rant. Anyway-who ships via someone besides Fedex?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Of the sites that I remember, Pricepoint and Universal Cycles both ship via UPS. I have found Universal usually takes 2 days or so to ship items, but have been happy with them otherwise.

Jenson ships Fedex, but does have the option of shipping via USPS.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Modena said:
Of the sites that I remember, Pricepoint and Universal Cycles both ship via UPS. I have found Universal usually takes 2 days or so to ship items, but have been happy with them otherwise.

Jenson ships Fedex, but does have the option of shipping via USPS.
That's too broad of a question. Type in the parts you're looking for in your google search, and go to the sites to find out. All I can say is try to contact sellers by email and/or phone before you order to confirm stock availability.(not really related to your question, but good to know anyway) Go to the "Who has the best deals?" forum here on mtbr.com. That might help you out too.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I"m confused. Is your complaint with FedEx or the number of days the supplier took to pick and ship the order. most of your rant was about how long it took Performance took to get your order out the door, not with the freight carrier.

I work in the industry so maybe I can help once I know the exact issues. I manage our freight department and spend about $40M a year between UPS and FedEx.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry about the confusion, while a lot of my rant was about performance and how long it took to ship, I neglected to put the rest of my rant in about fedex, it has to do with their contract with USPS, It took them 2 days longer than it should have to get my package to me from what I am able to determine because fedex doesn't actually drop the package off at your house. Instead they handle the moving of it across the country, then when it got to my area they held it for a day in their own distribution center and then sent it over to the USPS regional shipping center where it was processed again and sent to my local post office and delivered from there. It did a lot of changing hands and was tied up for 2 days less than 15 miles from my house. I have had nothing but good experiences with UPS, and for the most part nothing but bad with fedex (except when I ordered my trainer in which case they delivered it straight to my door in a timely manner. I hope this made more sense than my first post. I did some checking on price point and a couple of other sites and it appears that shipping cost with UPS is comparable to that of the fedex/USPS method and from my experience a lot faster. So I'd rather just skip the postal service and get my products here in a timely manner. I can however say the it was worth the wait, I got my pedals and shoes last night and I am hooked on SPD now. What a difference that made. Now that I look back at it my rant was one of a petulent child and I should have been more patient, I just really wanted my stuff and was tired of waiting for it. So performance has lost a customer from their online store although I'll probably still stop by one of the retail shops when I'm in the area to browse for deals. Thanks for the replies guys.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Oddly enough I've had much better service with FedEx than UPS. UPS (even when a signature for the pkg is requested) just drop it off on the porch. At the least they could put them in a plastic bag like FedEx. When a signature was required with FedEx they wouldn't just leave it for anyone to steal. They'd leave a card saying they'd try again or we could pick it up ourself.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Fed Ex rules

:D Sorry, got to agree with fred3 on this one, so much so that I stopped using jensonUSA when they switched to UPS - well actually I made one order with them using UPS, but after that experience I stopped. Strange that you get that service up there, did you use ground service or something? I have to use International Priority to get here, but I don't mind as I can get an order here in 3 days flat - order Monday before lunch, install part Wednesday before lunch - and that's the norm, not the exception and I live down in the Caribbean.

fred3 said:
Oddly enough I've had much better service with FedEx than UPS. UPS (even when a signature for the pkg is requested) just drop it off on the porch. At the least they could put them in a plastic bag like FedEx. When a signature was required with FedEx they wouldn't just leave it for anyone to steal. They'd leave a card saying they'd try again or we could pick it up ourself.

·
since 4/10/2009
35,320 Posts
Honestly, I've had bad experiences with all three shippers (USPS, UPS, FedEx), so until one proves to me that they're the best, I'll take my chances with whichever the retailer uses.

Let's see, I've received smashed boxes from Fedex
A UPS employee stole a computer monitor from me (the delivery guy actually took it back to the DC when I wasn't home to sign for it, and the package was stolen over the weekend)
USPS will leave ANYTHING on the doorstep, and has also smashed packages.

I find it most important to purchase from a reputable dealer willing to go to bat for you against the shipper if there is a problem. NewEgg was on UPS's ass when my monitor turned up missing. I had a replacement in less than a week from when I opened my claim.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I agree with Jerk_Chicken. I avoid UPS if at all possible, I've had UPS stuff tracked to the distribution center 8 miles from my house and then sit for 2 days before going out for delivery. UPS ground means 5 business days, even if it's from a couple of states away. I've received FEDEX ground in 2-3 days from the coasts. I always chose USPS Priority Mail if available for small items. Cheap and fast.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Exactly the biggest thing I hate about them. When my last shipment came from jenson before I stopped using then till they switched back, it sat at UPS for 3 days before they called to deliver it.
robc in wi said:
I agree with Jerk_Chicken. I avoid UPS if at all possible, I've had UPS stuff tracked to the distribution center 8 miles from my house and then sit for 2 days before going out for delivery. UPS ground means 5 business days, even if it's from a couple of states away. I've received FEDEX ground in 2-3 days from the coasts. I always chose USPS Priority Mail if available for small items. Cheap and fast.

·
Old man on a bike
12,399 Posts
bloodyknee said:
I"m confused. Is your complaint with FedEx or the number of days the supplier took to pick and ship the order. most of your rant was about how long it took Performance took to get your order out the door, not with the freight carrier.

I work in the industry so maybe I can help once I know the exact issues. I manage our freight department and spend about $40M a year between UPS and FedEx.
Damn, you be one logistics mofo with 40 million a year in logistics expense...

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
LyNx said:
Exactly the biggest thing I hate about them. When my last shipment came from jenson before I stopped using then till they switched back, it sat at UPS for 3 days before they called to deliver it.
I think these inconsistencies are weird. I've ordered plenty of packages from Jenson, Pricepoint and Universal who all are within two days of my by UPS Ground shipping and I never had a single package take help up (besides the whole "weekends don't count") thing

·
Old man on a bike
12,399 Posts
bloodyknee said:
I'd rather be riding my bike too. We are fighting cut backs right now, so sorry nothing here. What part of CA are you in?
SF Bay Area, figured as much even as recession proof as at one point as logistics has tended to be...but am always open to ideas ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.