1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your bicycle and riding style?
What is your fitness level?
What is the size and model?
What qualities in a rear do you value and how well does this model fulfill these parameters?
What are your trail surface conditions?
What other models of tire did you reject and why?
What models do you intend to try in the future?
What was your worst rear tire ever that you would reflexively stab with a knife if you ever saw it again?

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll go first

160mm all mountain bike, 27.5, aggressive
High
Vittoria Goma 2.4, 1020grams, 27.5
What qualities in a rear do you value and how well does this model fulfill these parameters?
I need a durable, grippy all-rounder for arid and semi-arid conditions with lots of ledge ups and steep up and down. Rolling resistance isn't very important, but (bonus) the Goma does roll quite well and it has a rounded profile that helps make the bike easy to lean. This tire fulfills my requirements 100%; that's why I have a box of them. People who put this tire on a rim too narrow for it will be disappointed. It needs a i35mm rim.
Dry, dusty, limestone chunk, clay in places.
Vittoria Morsa - not enough meat in the center for a serious rock tire. Bontrager XR5, Conti Mountain King 2.6, Vittoria Barzo 2.6 - too thin. Schwalbe HD, Maxxis Ignitor - wear too fast. Michelin Wild Rock'r 2 - feel too soft. Specialized Slaughter 2.8 - not enough grip and not even fast. Butcher 2.6 - only a 2.4. Purgatory 2.6 - only a 2.4 and I didnt like the way it looked at me.
I might try a DHRII DC if the Assegai works out on the front. Just so they match.
What was your worst rear tire ever that you would reflexively stab with a knife if you ever saw it again?
Schwalbe Pace Star anything. They barely last a dozen rides. Yes, I know they are discontinued.

·
XC iconoclast
Church of Real Metal
2,198 Posts

Off-brand 27.5 (SE bikes is not an off-brand, but them making a mountain bike is an off-brand --- did that make sense?), XC / trail

Compared with you, low. Compared with Strava, probably 60-80% or lower 3/5. Compared with two dudes I rode up a slight incline with last week, pretty good lol. I like to crawl up steep hills with a 0.55 to 0.60 ratio, so the steep climbing mph is usually 3-4, on level stuff maybe I can do 8-10 mph. Max downhill is usually not more than 20 mph.

I have two tires/wheels for the front: 27.5 x 2.6 Maxxis Rekon, and then 26 x 2.8 Maxxis DHF. Rear for now is just one due to rotor size incompatiblity: 1/2 worn 27.5 x 2.5 Maxxis DHF, mounted backwards. Other is 26 x 2.4 off brand (CS Tires) that is fine but I'm waiting for my pads to wear out before I put on a 180mm adapter and then can use this 2nd rear tire/wheel for 26/26 down and dirty switchback stuff. Again --- did that make any sense at all?

Has to be thick, probably double-walled casing and large knobs to resist flats because I am 'one of those' mechanical retards that still uses tubes. DHF fulfills this requirement, but it does slip more than I'd like in loose climbing, although that's kind of par for the course I guess. However, it is a cool feeling to have it momentarily slip on a fast twisty section and then immediately regain grip. Just when you think oh crap the back is sliding out, those side knobs bite and the bike just intuitively goes right back to the middle of the track. It's sublime; Maxxis is not hype, it's the real deal.

Usually pretty rocky, I prefer rocks that are 4-8 inches wide to ride over. Rounder = smaller, flatter volcanic ones can be larger, they seem to help with traction. Trails not too easy, not too difficult. No big jumps or drops, but some seriously worrying erosion ruts though (I've gone OTB getting my front tire stuck in those). Plus tire handles ruts a lot better than voluminous.

A few weeks ago I went into a really steep fire road too fast and could not stop in time, partially lost brakes and traction and went into a slide for several seconds. One of those fire roads with huge rocks stacked on huge rocks. All you can do is feather the brakes and hang on. It get down to the bottom and made KOM by 37 seconds lol. Would I do it again? I don't think so, sorry to disappoint everyone. It was not worth risking a serious injury for. But the Minion/Minion combination saved me. I may be typing in the rider down forum if I were not using those tires.

Kenda Nevegal II was OK. I didn't like the Continental Trail King II, but maybe that's because my bike at the time was 42 lbs. WTB Nanos were horrible, they lasted all of 250 miles.

Maxxis DHRII for sure, probably will mount it backwards on the back for better climbing. You probably have noticed that I don't care about weight. I care far more about not crashing than the weight of tires that help me avoid crashing.

WTB Nano 27.5 x 2.1. It came with the bike. Those are not mountain bike tires, they are hybrids. Kenda 8's are about as good --- or bad. I still use Kenda 8's on pavement.

BTW I have a carbon 27.5 sitting in the garage, waiting to be built, I finally took it out of the box last month, and tested the rear triangle for tire width. I was afraid it would be a real XC bike and could only fit a 2.1. Nope, it's modern geo and can fit up to a 2.5 or 2.6 in the back, woohoo! Now if I could only scrape up the other $2500 for the build...

·
slow
7,678 Posts
Hardtails, aggressive

High

Whatever is on sale. I run 29 x 2.3 or 2.4, which are the biggest that fit my current frames. Currently my bikes are fitted with: Schwalbe Rapid Rob, Maxxis Ardent, Maxxis Ardent Race, and Specialized Fastrak

Reasonably fast rolling, predictable, not too squirmy in corners, durable. The tires I am currently running are a decent combination of these traits while allowing me the flexibility to ride 5 or more miles to the trails, ride the trails aggressively, and ride home.

Widely variable CO, WY, and UT conditions including dry and dusty, decomposed granite (kitty litter), rocky, and some smooth and buff forest.

Kenda Slant Six and Small Block 8 did not hook up well in corners for me. Also Mountain Kings. Good quality versions of these barely fit my chainstays, but I had a couple with quality control issues and the wobbly treads hit the chainstays.

Whatever I happen to run across.

Farmer John, Farmer John's Cousin

·
Boom bap ambassador
898 Posts
I'll bite...

Evil Insurgent and Knolly Warden, all around riding, I don't mind climbing to get to the downs

Pretty high

Currently on a 2.4" Michelin Wild Enduro Gum-X and 2.3" Maxxis Aggressor

Grip obviously and especially when going up short technical climbs of which we have a ton in Arizona where I live. Wear is important and so is rolling resistance.

Both of these tires do really well at all of these with the Michelin feeling a bit less squirmy going down chunk

I just started running a DHF 2.3 EXO/3C front with Michelin rear and it has been magic - better than the Aggressor I had on there, better than the HR2 I had before that (which the Aggressor was better than for me).

Arizona has it all - rocky/rough, loose over hard, sand, forest/dirt

I don't like wasting money by trying tires that potentially won't work out so I'm fairly conservative there and particularly so with rear tires.

Given our terrain here in Arizona I tend toward more versatile rear tires over something like a Maxxis Highroller which lots of people love but for me I prefer something like what I'm running and choices here over the years are an evolution from tire to tire.

For me that works out to avoiding tires that I'm not sure would be a good fit versus buying something and finding out it is a hot mess.

I haven't tried a Schwalbe tire but I have seen so many anecdotes of knobs coming off which is a worry with so many rocks here in Arizona and where I'm at (Prescott) has quite a bit of granite which is really hard on tires anyway.

I'm pretty happy with the Aggressor and Michelin but I could see myself exploring what Michelin has to offer and I'm intrigued with Vittoria but haven't gotten around to trying those out yet.

The Maxxis Ignitor and Panaracer Fire stand out but I can't say for certain that it wasn't me being a noob on a bike more than those tires but I ate quite a bit of doo-doo on the trails with either of those as rear tires.

I would have to say that hands down the Kenda Nevegal was the worst.

Grippy but so slow, like soul sapping slow, pedaling in honey slow...

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
'17 Nukeproof Scout 290
'19 Polygon Siskiu N8
Prefer gravity feed & technical trails. Happy to pedal up, just not quickly.

As above. Climb for the decents. Not quickly.

I'm 235-ish pounds. Never done any modeling.

On the Scout I'm running a 2.5 Exo Maxxis Aggressor out back.
On the N8, I've got a 2.4 3C Exo Maxxis DHRII

Clay based, some roots, some rocks, some loam. When I venture out of town, trails are rocky or hardpack.

Too many to list. Rear tires I have for each bike fit the bill nicely.

Not too sure. Availability & price is a big part of the purchase. Tires I'm using were the right

Sent from my Nokia X6

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Not too sure. Availability & price is a big part of the purchase. Tires I'm using were the right price.

Bontrager XR4 2.4... for my local trails not up to snuff.

Sent from my Nokia X6

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
Sure, why not. (spoilers, i don't consider rear tire selection to be particularly important)

Custom long travel hardtail, 6" enduro bike. I'm your typical enduro-bro but i like noodling around on XC trails too.
i average 7hrs/week on the bike, but fitness is a happy accident
currently running a forte pisgah2 2.35 on the hardtail and alternate between a DHR2 2.4 EXO and a 2.35 Vee Flow Snap on the enduro bike. Both 650b.
The pisgah is cheap and hard-wearing. It rolls well and has similar cornering behavior to the DHF up front. The low knobs don't feel weird on loose-over-hard.

I got the DHR2 and Vee for free. The DHR2 has good braking traction while rolling adequately. The Vee rolls like ****, but the heavy casing and stickiness feels amazing in the bike park.
Forest. I do a lot of bike-travel, so i could potentially speak to a lot more.
I'm not very picky for rear tires. I run what i can get for cheap/free. I won't run a dedicated XC tire with transition knobs, anything outside 2.2-2.6, anything lighter than an EXO casing, or mud tires cuz they're squirmy on hardpack and i try to avoid ****ing up muddy trails.
I've run basically everything by now and don't care much. I'll keep working through my stack of freebies. (industry friends)
Easy. Kenda Dred Tread. Solid row of flat cornering knobs. Lean it in to a corner and your knobby tire becomes a slick. Dumped me on my ass 6-7 times before i impaled it with a pencil-sized stick and happily hiked back to the car.

·
Perpetual Hack
2,193 Posts
Personal Metrics

54 years old. Riding footcycles on dirt for 50 years
6'2" @ 210. Ape Index +1.5

Trail (135mm coil). - Fast Cruise to moderately aggressive with a occasional bit of slower exploring.
DH (215mm coil) Fast Cruise to moderately aggressive.

Pre-Accident - Moderate+
Post-Accident - What is this fitness of which you speak?

Trail - Large Knolly Fugitive LT 29r
DH - Large Knolly Podium 27.5/26

Trail - Maxxis Recon 2.4 Exo 2C. 28psi (paired with an EXO 2.4 3C DHR2 up front)
Great rolling, decent climbing, better braking then expected. Wish the cornering knobs were more robust as it does let go a bit early, but it does go nicely and is easily controlled. Bit bouncy, ie not overly damped on roots. No issues yet, but may be a bit fragile. Bit fussy on pressure between bounce, grip and squirm, but when dialed, surprisingly enjoyable.

DH - Maxxis DHR2 DH Maxxpro 2.4 25psi (No 2C in 26 2.4)(Paired with 2.5 3C DH Assegai up front)
Decent rolling, better than I expected. Great braking, but can hunt a bit in loose chunder, great cornering, Lets go a bit more abruptly but easy to real in. Nicely damped, not super fussy on pressure.

Trail - Mixed forest trails, minimal rock, lots of root gardens. Rolling terrain and ravines.
DH - Lift assist ski-hill, Dry clay over oil shale. Lots of fine dust. loose shale sections, rooty in spots

Trail - Schwalbe Rock Razor. Surprising grip on forest hardpack, awesome cornering, meh on tech climbing, better braking than you would expect. Great summer tire, but not so much in spring and fall when there is pine straw and leaf litter, just can't punch through and a skating you will go.

DH - Schwalbe Magic Mary - Pre-Addix. Good on mixed conditions to loose and dusty. Great braking. Bit of squirm on baked hardpacked clay and Ripped side knobs prematurely.

Trail - Bonty XR combos
Trail - Schwalbe new HansDampf.

DH - Michelin Wild RockR2 in DH casing if they ever release them for dry / hardpack.
DH - Magic Mary in addix for loose and dusty

Kenda Nevegal (NeverAgain). Decent grip until it didn't, slower than plate tectonics and more prone to holes than your favorite socks.

·
Registered
485 Posts
1. Epic hardtail and mostly singletrack with punchy climbs and descents.
2. High
3. Switch between Aspens 29x2.25, or Renegade 29x2.3. Fast Traks too worn to be used for the front are also great, believe it or not.
4. Supple, low weight, and fast rolling.
5. hardpack to intermediate
6. Less about rejecting other tires and more about loving the three tires I mentioned.
7. Depends on what changes with my current ones.
8. Race King. Knobs tore off, stiff sidewalls, mediocre traction.

·
Rides all the bikes!
4,489 Posts
160mm 29er, aggressive.
High
2.3 Butcher (stock tire)
Traction. Pretty good, but need wider.
Mostly loose, sandy, blown out. Occasionally I get good bike park stuff.
Soon as you say "fast rolling", I'm out. Small center lugs? Nope. Light? Nope. I need strong, and tons of traction.
DHR
Slaughter that came on my last long travel bike. No center lugs! WTF?

·
Registered
897 Posts
Cool idea for a thread!:thumbsup:

2016 Scott Spark 29er XC bike, 100MM FS, moderately aggressive riding style.
Very good.
Maxxis Minion DHF and DHRII, Double Down Casing, 3C Maxx Terra Compound - both 2.3" and tubeless
Excellent grip in climbs, over rocks and roots as well as sidewall durability.
New England old-school tech. Roots, rock and reggae!
Schwalbe Nobby Nic - Not a good value, too expensive. Some of my co-riders used them and said they lacked durability and wore too fast.
Probably sticking with DHF and DHRII when current tires need replacing.
Continental Mountain King. Pinch flats at any PSI, even bullet-proof PSIs (40+). Impossible to run tubeless as the beads couldn't hold the seal. Poor grip on the trail and downright deadly with even the slightest bit of dampness on the trail. These tires absolutely destroyed my confidence over a period of three months.

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
Mondraker Foxy 29. Hard trail to light Enduro is my range I'd say.

Above average by a fair margin, but lacking compared to real athletes. Adrenaline and my hyperactive nature really helps me push harder on my bike than my fitness should allow.

What is the size and model? Currently running a 29 x 2.35 Rock Razor. But I think my favorite is still the 29 x 2.35 Hans Dampf 2. Both of these Snakeskin carcasses need an insert to not fold but I can hustle through the turns fairly well so this is a common problem for me.

What qualities in a rear do you value and how well does this model fulfill these parameters? Rolling resistance and traction. The Rock Razor effing kills it in regards to rolling resistance. Side traction is great, climbing traction is mediocre.
The HD2 that I also run has good rolling resistance (certainly better than competitors like the Aggressor. DHRII, DHF, etc...) but still pretty far off from the Rock Razor. In return you get a tire capable of Enduro - DH work.

What are your trail surface conditions? Dry, rocky, loose rocks, baked hard pack underneath if your tires ever reach it. Never leaves, mud, sand, soil.

What other models of tire did you reject and why? HD2 is still likely my favorite tire. Aggressor 2.5 (rolls slowly but really like it otherwise, doesn't fit my Foxy however), DHRII 2.4 (rolls slowly and suffers a bit when leaning over), DHF 2.5 (rolls really slowly but has great traction), WTB Breakout (killer tire but wears insanely quickly then they quit making it. The 2.3 is an effing awesome rear with great traction and rolling resistance. Several other Maxxis tires when I began riding nearly 6 years ago (all seemed about the same at that stage for me), Bontrager's circa 2015 (worst tires ever at that time)

What models do you intend to try in the future? I always have my eyes open but at this moment I'd order the HD2 again for TX winter riding (still dry but cooler temps make us all stronger riders). Also have a new Aggressor 2.3 on the shelf, never tried this size of Aggressor and will likely mount it on some new wheels I'm mounting. Also have another Rock Razor on the shelf cause at the least, this will remain my trail tire for the time being.

What was your worst rear tire ever that you would reflexively stab with a knife if you ever saw it again? Some Bontrager XR4 & XR3s the bike shop had me buy when I was pretty new about 4 years ago. They were beyond horrible and slid around notably before other tires with no upside like lower rolling resistance. I threw them away after like 3 weeks (didn't know about the 30 day guarantee). I was a total newb at the time too. I honestly think they must have been made for 19mm wide wheels and being on my 27mm ID wheels at the time they were too flat and literally had no knobs on the side once leaned. Just a guess though.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
2018 Kona Process 153 AL/DL...aggressive rider

Pretty good for an old guy

27.5 X 2.4 Maxxis Minion DHF EXO, 3C Maxx Terra Compound - tubeless (22psi rear / 20psi front). The DHF's came front and rear on this bike and I've stayed with them.

Traction and sidewall durability is priority for me and the Minion's deliver. Also liked Maxxis High Rollers and WTB Bronsons although the Bronson sidewalls do not last as long.

Boney New England singletrack and no lifts. Sidewalls are the first thing to go around here.

If it does not have aggressive tread design I'm not interested. Any lightweight tire is a fail...won't last.

I'm sticking with the Minions...On my 2nd set of DHF's but would consider similar equipped DHR (seeing that IS for the rear) or maybe Aggressor.

I learned a long time ago low rolling resistance and small tread lugs will toss you into a pile of rocks fast around here. Also the light weight designs will not last. So there's a ton of tires that I won't touch because of this.

·
Co Springs
2,414 Posts
Trail bike, long day comfort/travel type- similar to bike packer set up's. I ride more leisurely and not real fast or aggressive.
I ride 1 to 2 times a week depending on my schedule. Mostly for fun and fitness and in the vicinity of 7000 ft give or take. At 58, I'd say I'm about average for one who fits in 6 - 8 rides a month that are not uphill terrors or long-haul. We ride 8 to 10 miles on the low end and 12 to 16 if a longer route.

My bike is a med size Marin Pine Mountain One. It's a steel h/t, 120mm, at 30# set up as 27'5 x 3.0

Traction over the dry dusty stuff, pebbles or red clay and granite. Uphill travel is always here so I try to find the pedal torque and tire to get me up stuff with minimal drama. Nobby Nics came on the bike and did okay but I like a slightly tighter nobby so I now have Rocket Ron on the back. A tighter nob pattern seems good on the pathways we find at times also. -Smooth rolling. I don get out in the muck at all and it's a real plus areas dry up so fast here. We do ride throughout the year so some snowy patches are a consideration. I've got the Forte Tsali 2.2 on my rigid 26'r and it does well for my riding style also.

I'm a sucker for good deals so I'll see what looks like my tread pref and comes up on sale. The Rocket Ron was a whim I put on the shelf knowing I'd need a new tire at some point and it was $25 off normal list.

I don't recall anything I had that bad of an experience with. I think I have the wrong Schwalbe for tubless set up but ran them for over a year that way.
I understand by others experiences that Schwalbe isn't rated high as a long-lasting or durable tire but again, for my purposes and expectations, it's been fine. I do think off-piste, riding, sharp rocks or cacti will eat them up although on my h/t bikes, I'm watchy about my line anyways ... :D

·
Robertson
1,031 Posts
Knolly Fugitive LT and a steel hardtail, aggressive

High

In order of importance:
1. durability to tears
2. braking
3. cornering
4. weight
5. longevity
Currently on a Bontrager SE4, which is my favorite more aggressive rear tire. Great durability, good braking and cornering but not to the level of a Minion but rolls better than one. Weight is fantastic for what it is, longetivity is fine but not amazing. Would switch to a more aggressive rear if I was doing lifts, etc.

Socal, so loose over hardpack for the most part

I've tried tons, from Minion DHR II (good tire but wanted to try something else), Aggressor (2.3 too narrow, 2.5 excellent tire and my second favorite after the SE4), Schwalbe Nobby Nic (crap, wore out in a month), Maxxis Tomahawk (wore out too quick), Specialized Slaughter (poor grip and not tough enough, lots of punctures), Maxxis Ardent (meh), Bontrager SE3 (good tire for a light trail bike or hardtail but needs more width), Conti trail king 2 (meh)

Would run a Bonty SE3 on the hardtail if they came out with a wider width. Interested in the new Michelin wild enduro rear (with a matching front) for a more aggressive tire set

Anything Schwalbe. Expensive, easily punctured, lasts for maybe a month. Never again.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
What is your bicycle and riding style? Trek enduro and park mostly
What is your fitness level? Poor climbing mostly just slow but I don't stop, Ok the rest
What is the size and model? Slash 27.5
What qualities in a rear do you value and how well does this model fulfill these parameters? holds air
What are your trail surface conditions? all
What other models of tire did you reject and why? a lot
What models do you intend to try in the future? round ones
What was your worst rear tire ever that you would reflexively stab with a knife if you ever saw it again?any control casing
I change tires based on terrain and season. I've run semi slicks and faster rollers for dry years and pretty aggressive tires for wet years. Fall I run a tire that punches through the leaves and wont pack up if wet. If I'm riding park I'm going to tend to run a more aggressive tire. I don't bother with anything less than a EXO or equivalent casing and other run heavier enduro casings.

·
Registered
317 Posts
SC Hightower 2018, fairly aggressive wheels on the ground trail

decent

2.4 DHR2 DC

Climbing traction- good
cornering stability- good
braking traction - good
tough tread and sidewalls- good
efficient rolling - Okay but worth the penalty for the traction above

sharp hard rocks imbedded in hard clay in the summer and at times muddy clay in the winter.

XR4 - not as good at cornering stability and easily punctured through the tread. side knobs rip off prematurely. On the plus side they are cheaper, lighter and roll better. SE4 is much stouter but also much heavier and hard to find in stock.

Rekon - really pretty similar to the XR4. Brakes loose easily in dh switchbacks

Griffin - would be my all around favorite except lasted less than 200 miles due to only being available as 3C resulting in side knobs prematurely ripping.

Specialized Eliminator - Good tire. I might try it again. Rolls a bit faster than the DHR2, is generally cheaper as well

XR3 - See XR4 with less grip.

Crossmark 1 - came on one of my bikes. Fast as heck. Great tire if you love fish tailing in every corner like a tool.

Iginitor - too small and too weak. Great all around sc tread though.

Nobby Nic (2013 version)- extremely weak side knobs way too expensive

Aggressor
Forkaster

Rekon 27.5 2.8 - just don't like the feel of plus tires. The casing is super thin on the plus version (pre exo+) and it is stupid expensive.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Any thoughts or caution about the High roller II as a rear option?

I just picked one up to Pair with a DHF for trail riding my Stumpy in MD.

They are replacing the Butcher/Purgatory combo I had been riding. Will be my first Maxxis. Wondering if I should have gone with the DHR....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.