Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Politically Incorrect
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to replace & upgrade from the Deore rear derailler on my '03 fuel 80, but I am not sure what type of der. I need to get. Long cage? Short cage? Does it matter? :confused:

I will be getting an LX or XT, depending on the prices I find locally. The der. currently on the bike is a Deore RD-M510, if that helps.

·
Registered
236 Posts
fo-sur

IbikeID said:
I want to replace & upgrade from the Deore rear derailler on my '03 fuel 80, but I am not sure what type of der. I need to get. Long cage? Short cage? Does it matter? :confused:

I will be getting an LX or XT, depending on the prices I find locally. The der. currently on the bike is a Deore RD-M510, if that helps.
long cage forsure, shortie if you're not running the big ring, and dont get rapid rise, its crap and takes a long time to get used to.

·
Registered
265 Posts
long cage - go for XT - its worth it and good value for money compared to XTR.

rapid rise or standard shift is your own choice.

I changed to rapid rise about a year ago and whilst it did take a little while to get used to, I actually really like it.

I find its far more usefull to be able to drop up into an easier gear by a few light taps on the shifter compared to having to crank your thumb round underneath the bar to get an easier gear.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
IbikeID said:

I have an LX on my bike and i have been really pleased with it. Shifts smooth even when totally buried in mud. Good stuff. No durability problems either. It is better than the Deore, which i found a little less impressive. It just depends how much of a step up you want. XT seems to be one of the most popular choices, and does not cost that much more than the LX.

·
Politically Incorrect
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the responses. I got a long cage, and after one ride I can tell it was worth every penny. I didn't realize just how bad the Deore that came stock had gotten. It is nice to be able to get the gear I want, when I want again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.