Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tried searching and spent alot of time reading other stuff. seems people prefer pretty low (in my eyes) press's for trail riding like 20-26psi, which to me seems too soft. I can see how that can help traction, but doesnt that SLOW you down when your cruising the main parts of the trails? to me seems like a MAJOR trade off and would cause you to use alot more energy to pedal a long distance this way. downhill it would be a moot point since there isnt much pedaling.

so just would like to hear some testamonials for diff. press's in diff. riding environments. since I ride all the situations listed in the title.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I personally ride at 42lbs. I like a hard tire. When I go to the skatepark I go up to 50 or more.
I have a FS too so I can get away with more pressure without it feeling too hard. On my HT I run 32lbs.

Only reason I ride 42lbs is because I kept pinchflatting. I mean every ride too. So I went up to 40, and problem solve and I roll faster.
I think 20lbs is way too low, you either debead a tire and or pinch, definitely pinch. I did go to 25 on a snow ride, but those are much different conditions too.

·
Off the back...
2,304 Posts
Our trails are up and down, with little in the way of flat sections. I ride 2.4 tires on wide-ish rims and 20-25 psi tubeless, ~180 lbs. I used to pinch flat on 50% of my rides @ 35 psi, then bumped it to 40+ psi to stop the pinch flats. This contributed to a loss of traction on climbs, so I had to bring the pressure back down, which caused more pinch flats, etc. Tubeless works well to prevent flats, and I can't say I notice any additional rolling resistance even at 20 psi.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I always wondered why I always hear of people getting flats, and I have never yet. (knock on wood)but maybe thats because I been running 40-45psi (or higher). my trails are pretty much mix of everything. except our downhill sections are like, 50feet distance. no mountains out here. just hills. some really steep, most moderatly steep w/switchbacks, or offcamber turns in them. but Id say 60% of the 10 mile trail is relatively flat.

I started considering goin tubless after all my reading and watching a few vid.s on stans website. it sounded like more of a pita then it actually is. so no Im really thinking of doin it. the only thing stopping me in the past, and holding me back now is I havent had flatting problems before.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
w/ tubes: 32F / 35R for general trail riding
w/ tubes: 35F / 38R for gravel/hard pack
w/ tubes: 45F / 45R for road (but I don't do much of this at all)

tubeless: 25F / 28R for general trail riding
tubeless: 30F / 32R for gravel/hardpack
tubeless: 45F / 45R for road (but I don't do much of this at all)

If it matters, running 26x2.4 WTB Mutano Raptor on the front and 26x2.3R WTB Weirwolf on the rear. Both AM TCS aramid bead.

·
2,672 Posts
I run about 40 psi for almost everything. When its wet and muddy, about 35 psi. My tires are 2.3 and I run standard tubes. I get minimal pinch flats, but I check my psi before every ride with a floor pump in my car.

I'm a firm believer that simply checking your psi before every ride is key to not flatting.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I ride everything at 30psi, XC AM DJ and my two motorcycles. It seems to help me to gauge exactly how my tires should behave in any situation.

If many gauges are often up to 25% inaccurate I can't see the point of going for 28psi for example. I use two or three gauges to get an average of 30psi. And yes, they all give different readings!

·
The White Jeff W
5,712 Posts
Air pressure is such a personal thing...so many variables that go into it. Personally I drop the pressure a little bit each ride until my tires start to feel squirmy, then bump it up a bit until they feel good. Usually start around 30 psi and end up anywhere from 22 - 28. Usually a few psi more in the rear.

·
just ride
775 Posts
FS bike
142 lbs geared up
2.25 nobby nic
20psi F
26psi R
tubes

tons of braking and corner traction. No pinch flat! I ride on rocky, rooty, onroad, fire road, single track, muddy, crossing creek, etc...

·
Moose Member
2,195 Posts
I pump air in my tires until i get bored and want to go ride...

Never lower than 30 and never higher than 45. i try to get it at about 38-40 though. i ride everything that pressure. I'm 130 lbs

·
wuss
2,380 Posts
I don't think I've ever had a flat except when running tubes.

Generally I keep my air pressure high enough not to hit my rims badly or keep my tire feeling like it's casing is bending over. It really depends on the tire as to what that correct pressure is... For some tires and trails I could keep my air pressure at around 20 psi, for others I'll go to 30 psi or anything in between.

If I'm riding trails that are not wet and don't contain a lot of rocks and roots I might put the pressure even higher, but that's pretty rare...

·
Trail Ninja
6,297 Posts
25 psi F/R for SoCal hardpack with 2.2 29er tires with tubes or tubeless as 140 lb rider w/gear. 30-35psi in my 26x2.35 High Roller Mtn F/R with tubes on my Dawg. I simply go as low as I can without getting flats. Still get pinch flats on my Dawg with 30, usually in the rear, so I've been leaning on pumping it up harder.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.