Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, this is my first post on MTBR.

I'm getting back into biking seriously after a 2 summer hiatus. I didn't think college would get in the way like it did.

Anyways, I am picking up a Trek Fuel EX8 this spring. I don't know what pedals to put on it. I have Crank Bros Mallets from my freeride hardtail, which are nice. I just dont know if I need the platform for AM riding like I did for freeride. Let me know what you guys are using and if you end up unclipping frequently during your AM rides.

Thanks! Adam

·
Registered
635 Posts
I used to ride the Mallets too, very nice pedals. I thought about and then tried some normal Eggbeaters, then Candies, too small for me. I then chose the new Acid pedal. Mallets are larger, but the Acid is still quite ok. And they're not much heavier than the standard Eggbeater thing.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah. if i ditched them, id have gotten candies.

what do others think? thanks, adam

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have Time ATAC XS pedals on my AM bike right now, but I'm concidering using ATAC Z's instead because they have a bigger platform.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i guess ill roll wiht the mallets, and if i dont unclip often, i can sell them for a lighter pair like the candys. they are great pedals even if the platform is overkill. now i just wonder if its worth replacing my 4 year old clipless shoes...

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the pic. they are sick looking pedals, but the platform almost looks useless...its got no grip. does it keep your foot flatter on the pedal mechanism though?

·
Registered
635 Posts
@mike: Well, they weren't available here until like 1-2 weeks ago.

@quattrokid: It might look useless, but actually it does work quite well. Not as strong as on the Mallet, but still working. I can feel the difference, as I've got some quite large feet :D , but still both pedals do work. The only thing that really keeps me on the Mallet are the stronger traction plates that are included, but even those aren't that high.
Useless platform, to me, comes with the Candy pedals. That's just some useless plastic that you carry around there.
The Acid is nicely flat and it has much nicer bearings than all the other CB models (needle bearings!). Overall, so far they fit my bike nicer than the Mallets did before.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I don't unclip much, but I love my time Z's for the extra control. When using body english on trials type moves, the grip of the platform makes a huge difference. When i would use my regular times, I just didn't fell like I had a solid contact point for aggresive moves. Sure they're an extra half pound, but if I'm not xc racing, I'd rather have the control.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
interesting. well, ill put the large plates on the mallets and try them out. if i dont use the extra much, ill ditch them for some standard eggys.

thanks, adam

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ive got 11 stitches in my right shin from my a-frames heehee

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I'm usually running Mallet M's on my 6" bike and C's or flat's on my big bike. I used to run candies, and they are great for just riding XC without stunts or rock gardens, but I would pop out at inopportune moments. They are on my road bike right now.

I’m mixed on switching to the Acid’s because of the same thing quattrokid73 brings up. They look like a surface which is bigger than candies, but without the extra grip of the mallets (w/long plates). I’d be temped to get them and drill them for 4 allen screws on each side at the outer most points. I’m committed to CB’s system, but what I’m looking for is a pedal I won’t pop out of too easily and that I get just a hair of grip for skinnies and such where I ride clipped out.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
they should put their clip mechanism in their platform stud pedal

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
i run these wellgo mg-1 flats, they're very light (378g) and hold up fairly well to the rocky terrain i ride. i think the bearings are starting to go, but i put in a ton of miles on them so far.

·
GOD SPEED # 58 # 69 RIP
918 Posts
I do have the Acids they ok, the support they offer it's pretty good but i find my self struggling to engage the pedal, IMO TIME pedals have a better system, but if you like
CrankBrothers and want to save weight those pedals rule.

:thumbsup:

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts