Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's pretend you're a small manufacturer of bike frames and you're looking to relocate. You're looking for an are that will allow you a great selection of ride spots within a reasonable distance. You want varied terrain (it'd be nice to have some smoother, high-speed stuff as well as sub-walking-pace extreme technical. You're dumb enough to be developing some long-travel models, including a DH rig, so great lift-access trails are important, but less of a priority than XC and AM trail.

And, even though you're a hermit at heart (a lovable, charismatic, good-looking, intelligent, AND HUMBLE hermit ;) ) you do want a town or small city that has the usual amenities, such as a bit of culture, good food, running water, etc. You're old enough to appreciate the culture that a university can bring, but don't want to live in a town where you're the only person who ever gets any older, if you know what I mean.

Where would you choose if riding was the priority and you would be making your own job when you got there?

Any help you can lend will be greatly appreciated! I'm always interested to hear people's thoughts. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Vermont is an awesome place to live, but a tough place to make a living... If riding is the priority, draw a 20 mile circle around Waterbury. You will have access to miles of trails - some of it probably off your front porch.

If you expect your business will be doing a lot of shipping - stick close to I-89...

·
Registered
343 Posts
Lots of great riding areas and places to live in New England. If you can in the next few months it would optimum time to get up here and do some scouting that would tell more than we could here. One thing you might consider seriously are what you want for a riding season in terms of length depending on where you are coming from....southern NE is far different from Northern VT/NH/ME.

There are several other threads around this type of topic with lots of good info.

·
Lets RIDE!
1,548 Posts
As a Vermont-ster, I Can't argue with any of the above, but southern NH is worth a look too. Great FR / DH at Highland and many and varied singletrack networks on both sides of the MA and ME borders, plus a reasonable drive to the White Mountains and the often snow-free trails on Cape Cod in the winter. Plus the seacoast of course. Portsmouth, anyone?

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
couple of frame builders in burlington, residing off pine street in the 'arts district'. nice work. having another in town would be cool...

·
Registered
636 Posts
Durham or Newmarket NH. UNH is right there, plus you have Exeter Woods, College Woods, and Kingman Farm within 10 minute drives. Highland Mountain is 1 hr away for lift access riding. Plus you are 15 minutes away from Portsmouth (tons of culture/restaurants/vibrant seacoast community). There is also Pawtuckaway St Park and Bear Brook within 40 minutes for nice long rides too.

·
think
853 Posts
Durham is ok, Newmarket is ok...Exeter is great. Nice downtown area with a variety of shops and restaraunts. Music in the park, an annual criterium downtown, and a variety of other activities. Closer to the highway than durham and newmarket, no college kids, Kingman and the College woods do not compare in any way to fort rock in Exeter, one hour to highland, one hour to Boston, 40 minutes or so to Bear Brook, Lynn Woods, Harold Parker....and don't forget the marsh. It's about 20 minutes to Portsmouth, 30 to Manchester, and an hour and a few to Boston.

blah blah I guess. Move up here and build one of those jobs like JCarpenters that FoShizzle has now so we can all demo it. That bike was sick...super sick.

·
Registered
179 Posts
bad news said:
Durham is ok, Newmarket is ok...Exeter is great. Nice downtown area with a variety of shops and restaraunts. Music in the park, an annual criterium downtown, and a variety of other activities. Closer to the highway than durham and newmarket, no college kids, Kingman and the College woods do not compare in any way to fort rock in Exeter, one hour to highland, one hour to Boston, 40 minutes or so to Bear Brook, Lynn Woods, Harold Parker....and don't forget the marsh. It's about 20 minutes to Portsmouth, 30 to Manchester, and an hour and a few to Boston.

blah blah I guess. Move up here and build one of those jobs like JCarpenters that FoShizzle has now so we can all demo it. That bike was sick...super sick.
Max...you forgot to mention the annual mountain bike race at Fort Rock.....opps, almost forgot.....they screwed that up.

·
Registered
636 Posts
bad news said:

I actually live in Exeter, and it is great, but very expensive. My house is in the Newfields side fo the trails in Exeter, so I ride out of my backyard into incredible trails. The downside is the cost to live in Exeter (House and Property Taxes). That is why I threw out the other towns. It may be a bit tough for a new frame builder to pay upwards of 10-11K per year in property taxes (mine is 30% higher). The seacoast is a nice place to live, but expensive, and you get the best of every world (close to beach, lakes, Mountains, and city). I'm a bit biased of course. Either way you slice it, stay in NH, ME, or VT and you can't go wrong. It is life at it's best!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I hear Bend, Or. and BC are very nice. While I love living in Maine there are not enough organized support groups in New England to make mfr. or riding as good as the southwest or northwest...not even close. We have the land, just not the amount of riders.

Yes many of you will try and say otherwise, but having traveled most of the area you soon find that it's mostly small pockets that support the mtb pastime. It might change in the future and I'm hoping it does, but the independent nature that keeps people in this area don't usually sway in that large organizational direction. I'd love to be proven wrong, but in my short 11 years of mtb in New England I haven't seen it yet.

·
think
853 Posts
RPG said:
I actually live in Exeter, and it is great, but very expensive. My house is in the Newfields side fo the trails in Exeter, so I ride out of my backyard into incredible trails. The downside is the cost to live in Exeter (House and Property Taxes). That is why I threw out the other towns.
I agree, but I also do feel you get what you pay for in this case.

capt-high-pressure said:
Max...you forgot to mention the annual mountain bike race at Fort Rock.....opps, almost forgot.....they screwed that up.
Eventually there will be a regime change.

freddie53 said:
I'd love to be proven wrong, but in my short 11 years of mtb in New England I haven't seen it yet.
Gotta do what you can do and sometimes others follow.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Really great info, thanks, and keep it coming! I'll have a lot of research to do ;)

I could go anywhere, and have lived in So. Cal, Austin, IN, NJ, Va, and NC. Each had cool things to offer...well, maybe not Indiana... but I'm hoping to move back closer to family. And a change of scenery would be nice.

I'm hoping to get up before the summer is out to take a week or more to look around. I'd like to meet a few folks and if I'm able, I'll try to bring an extra bike for y'all to try out. I hope to be able to piece something together. What size do you all ride? ;P

·
Banned
3,796 Posts
newmarchez

newmarket would be the spot, but i am a bit biased...............:D

property taxes around here are a friggin joke. that's why i own rental properties on cape cod and rent here. make rental income where taxes are low and there's a wicked healthy roller coaster of a real estate market like the cape and just pay cheap rent here and pay no income or sales tax or car insurance for that matter, god i love my old honda!

for pretty much eveything tho, the nh seacoast area don't $uck. the mill building in newmarket would be a great location for a frame builder.

rog

·
Registered
102 Posts
What a really kind offer...

D.F.L. said:
Really great info, thanks, and keep it coming! I'll have a lot of research to do ;)

I could go anywhere, and have lived in So. Cal, Austin, IN, NJ, Va, and NC. Each had cool things to offer...well, maybe not Indiana... but I'm hoping to move back closer to family. And a change of scenery would be nice.

I'm hoping to get up before the summer is out to take a week or more to look around. I'd like to meet a few folks and if I'm able, I'll try to bring an extra bike for y'all to try out. I hope to be able to piece something together. What size do you all ride? ;P
and loving bikes I'd love to take you up on it especially with 3 miles of singletrack right out my back door, but I'm a wee lad(xs original Titus Locomoto). Have a great time!

·
Registered
907 Posts
Another vote for Waterbury, but I'm biased since it's where I live. Of course, if the length of the riding season is a major concern, southern NH might be a better option.

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
VT Mike said:
Another vote for Waterbury, but I'm biased since it's where I live. Of course, if the length of the riding season is a major concern, southern NH might be a better option.
True. If you don't love a healthy dose of winter...N-Central VT might not be your spot.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts