Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bit of a longshor but here goes. My Tektro Dracos make a warbling type noise mostly in the rear brake. I've realigned them and it still does it. I'm wondering if it's the pads. The pad surface has shiny flecks in it so does that mean they are sintered pads?

I've googled the number but all I get is car brake pads. The Tektro site states that they are semi-metallic I'd like confirmation.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Those pads look to be well past their use by date. Best bet is to take them in to your LBS and get them to find out what they are. At the least, buy one set from them to replace before buying more online. Otherwise, support your LBS.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: the noise came back but I think I wasn't getting the rotors hot enough. I'm going to go out for a ride next weekend and get some longer descents in to really heat them up.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Those look like sintered pads.

They do like to get hot before they get quiet on some bikes. If it's humid where you live, then they will probably do it all the time until you heat them up.

I like them on the front, but not the back. I use a lot less pressure on my rear brake, so the don't heat fast. That howl is annoying to me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Those pads look to be well past their use by date. Best bet is to take them in to your LBS and get them to find out what they are. At the least, buy one set from them to replace before buying more online. Otherwise, support your LBS.
Can you explain what you mean by "look to be past their used by date"?

Reason I ask is mine look just like that.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There's definitely metal flakes in the pads but I gather sintered pads always have a copper back plate to transfer heat.

Anyway I went out for a ride today and got some good descents in. They were noisy for a minute or two but then threagent silent for the rest of ride.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.