Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
My pants are smart.
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What other sports do you do besides mountain biking? Or do you just stick to the passion of mountain biking?

I am also a rock climber - I used to do it all the time, practically lived up at the Gunks... but that has tailed off (shameless plug - I actually helped write part of the Rock Climbing in New Jersey guide book - I used to do it that much). But for the past two years, whenever I look at my bouldering pad and then to my bike, 99% of the time I go for the bike. I also do some flying fishing (nothing beats the Ken Lockwood Gorge in the early a.m.) and some surfing.

·
Make some music
740 Posts
well... what I used to do..

Besides music, boating, astronomy and my FZ1, I can tell you what I used to do...

Snow ski, water ski, Jetski (w/ two racing championships), race slot cars professionally ( yes professionally w/ championships), show cars and associated crusing, motocross and woods. yeah, blah blah blah.

Oh yeah and now it's mostly my twins...

·
Registered
119 Posts
surf's up

I surf when there are waves and ride when there aren't, all year round. Just had a couple of banner days of surf, which means I hadn't ridden the bike in a few days and let me tell you, I did 10 miles at Allaire yesterday and I'm pretty sore today. Totally different muscles used. Been surfing for 15 yrs and biking full on for only 3, but I have to say, I'm enjoying the biking more these days. Between the uphills and downhills it's like the wave never ends. But then a day in the water like this past Sunday comes along and you get your stoke back pretty quick. I quess that over-used cliche applies here, "It's all good".

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Skiing and surfing

I've been a ski instructor for 15 years but plan to retire somewhere warm enough to surf year round. Been surfing since 1964. Anywhere warm enough to surf all year will be warm enough to ride all year. St. Augustine seems to be the area of choice at the moment.

Figure I can just get in the car/plane and travel to my ski adventures when that day comes.

Tried snowboarding for a few years but never really developed any liking for the sport. No, snowboarding is nothing like surfing! I never had two feet locked in place on a surfboard.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I hike alot, usually on the trails we're not allowed to ride on. :( And I sea kayak, some ww kayaking, beach volleyball, surf some. I do a lot of ****, but I'm always out somewhere trying to find something new. In the past few years, I've been snorkeling, caving, and hanggliding! I started jogging/trail running this year too, just a little, but I came in 3000th place in my first race last month! :D

Edit: Crap, how could I forget snowboarding?! Recently started snowshoing too, hopefully next winter is either snowless or a F%^king blizzard!!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Besides MTB I ride road bike a lot.My route is Jersey City to Nyack via 9W. I got into kiteboarding 2 years ago and still learning on water and plan on going on snow and mountain board later on. I strongly recommend those who are interested to take some classes before buying gear and trying it because there is a big learning curve and it is very dangerous to self and others around. Try realkiteboarding.com and ikitesurf.com for more info.
I snowboard in winter and favorite place is Salt Lake City area mountains.I had a season pass to mtn creek for past 5 years but overcrowding and I being spoiled by UT and CO snow made me decide not to get it next winter. I still take a trip or two to whiteface and VT mtns localy and may be Hunter on a weekday.
I used to play beach volleyball every weekend in summers but that is on the decline.. may be once a month now due to lack of good players. I used to be a gym rat as well but these days I workout 2 times a week.

·
Registered
363 Posts
My sport after mountain biking would have to be Pocket Pool. If you never tried it, then you really do not know what you are missing!!! Lots of fun!!!

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
hill_climber said:
What other sports do you do besides mountain biking? Or do you just stick to the passion of mountain biking?

I am also a rock climber - I used to do it all the time, practically lived up at the Gunks... but that has tailed off (shameless plug - I actually helped write part of the Rock Climbing in New Jersey guide book - I used to do it that much). But for the past two years, whenever I look at my bouldering pad and then to my bike, 99% of the time I go for the bike. I also do some flying fishing (nothing beats the Ken Lockwood Gorge in the early a.m.) and some surfing.
I own that book :cool: and I sometimes climb up at the PP's. That place is a great little NJ secret. :D I'll prolly start up NJRG again on Mondays with my climbing buddy but I have a touch of tendonitis in each elbow (don't know why) and it makes climbing painful. Trying to heal but beating up meself on the bike dont help. :)

I am just as into snowboarding as mtb. And that tweener time, between seasons, is always an odd time... but once the weather breaks for good I am done with it. However, this past March was great snow, and in early April I was not into biking at all, still wanted to snbd, then all that rain. :( Anyway I am now mtb minded and will be until Sep or so, then snow starts creeping into my brain.

If I lived on a coastal area I'd prob'ly surf a lot and do some sailing. But I am really in love with the mountains and woods so that's where I tend to be...

·
Registered
602 Posts
New Challenges

I work all over NJ/NY so I mtn and road bike wherever I'm at, but I reside in South Jersey. I scuba dive and kayak to mix things up. I just bought a 9.6 surf board to learn what all the hipe is about. I also have kitesurfing gear except for the board. I'm trying to decide which one to get. I used to rock climb in South Carolina and Texas, but NJ doesn't seem to be that exciting in climbs. In the winter I head to Salt Lake City to skiing. This year I got a trip into Killington. It was worth it. Life is too short not to try to do as much as one can. We all end up driving around and around for that close parking space at Walmart if one does not maintain his/her abilities. I'm outside for the adventure! Smiles, Jess

·
Registered
380 Posts
Anything without teams

Hiking, kayaking, weight lifting. Though the kind of weight lifting I do isn't exactly a sport; it's more of an activity I enjoy. I also practise yoga a bit. Again, not really a sport, just a difficult physical activity. Oh and I used to be an avid snowboarder but I stopped cuz it messed up my knee.

And I like riding my fixie around NYC. That's not just a sport, that's a high-stakes competitive sport. Me vs. cars, rollerbladers wearing headphones, potholes, etc. Hm, I do own a pair of rollerblades, but I'm really bad at it and lack the motivation to improve in that area.

BTW I don't think I've ever posted in the NJ forum before. So hi.

·
Registered
363 Posts
mergs said:
you maniac! that's what you were doing on wednesday's ride! i was wondering about all that swerving going on!
Shhhh!!! It's supposed to be my sport away from mountain biking.

·
Registered
454 Posts
stoked said:
Besides MTB I ride road bike a lot.My route is Jersey City to Nyack via 9W. I got into kiteboarding 2 years ago and still learning on water and plan on going on snow and mountain board later on. I strongly recommend those who are interested to take some classes before buying gear and trying it because there is a big learning curve and it is very dangerous to self and others around. Try realkiteboarding.com and ikitesurf.com for more info.
I snowboard in winter and favorite place is Salt Lake City area mountains.I had a season pass to mtn creek for past 5 years but overcrowding and I being spoiled by UT and CO snow made me decide not to get it next winter. I still take a trip or two to whiteface and VT mtns localy and may be Hunter on a weekday.
I used to play beach volleyball every weekend in summers but that is on the decline.. may be once a month now due to lack of good players. I used to be a gym rat as well but these days I workout 2 times a week.
would like details of that route--just moved to jersey city(like today) and working on readjusting my trail/road routes

-mike

oh yeah this is a post on what sports i do- used to auto-x, basketball whenver i can get a game in, running,--really anything where i can compete

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.