Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Team Blindspot
2,975 Posts
cdub said:
i thought you couldnt open up the fork. you have to send it directly to Fox for work. but maybe im wrong
You can remove the lowers, and change the oil, you just can't crack open the TALAS cartridge.

As for oil, I've been sticking with Fox's oil. But have heard of many using Silkolene, Maxima. Larry at Mtn high recommending not changing oil weight in my case, I'd asked him the same question. Hope that helps.

· Do It Yourself
5,718 Posts
CU-Murph said:
I need to change the oil in my TALAS. Any suggestions on which oil weight to use based on rider wieght? Is it better to use a lighter oil for a lighter person? Thanks.

-Robert
You can use the Fox Fluid or just about any 7wt (125/150) fork oil, preferrably synthetic. I have used Maxima 125/150 with good results. You can also use Marzocchi/Golden Spectro 7wt.

· Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
1,495 Posts
CU-Murph said:
I need to change the oil in my TALAS. Any suggestions on which oil weight to use based on rider wieght? Is it better to use a lighter oil for a lighter person? Thanks.

-Robert
The '03's in particular had a reputation for not being plush for us lightweights (I'm 125# plus gear), and I can attest to that. I read here that light folks were putting 5wt or even 2.5 wt oil in the damper.

I put 5wt Finishline oil in my '03 at the last oil change and it's much better. Next oil change, I plan to try 2.5 Golden Spectro.

When you cycle the damper to get the old oil out, make sure you've got it way down in a bucket, and go slowly, or something near you will get an oil bath. ;^P

Kathy

· Not just famous; infamous
1,067 Posts
Check this out

Check out this thread started by DGC. It should really be a sticky in this forum.

I'm using Torco 15wt in my Vanilla and it's really really nice. Despite the 15wt label, it and the Fox fluid are about the same IMO, but I got a quart of the Torco for $8.50--way cheaper than FF. Of course I'm about 180lbs, so you may need something thicker or thinner.

· aka dan51
5,988 Posts
S-Works said:
.... you just can't crack open the TALAS cartridge.
What? Sure you can. You just CAN'T put it back together again.
Here's my $92.87 screw-up. :eek:
The fork came back from Fox a little smoother, however they did not put the TALAS adjuster knob on correctly. When fully extended, the knob is now 180 degrees from what it was from the factory. On the plus side, I'm getting better at reading upside down. :cool:

· carpe mañana
7,319 Posts
It won't hurt to try 5wt. It is a very simple procedure, changing oil. 150 sounds like it could benefit from the change. I highly recommend Maxima oil, for the quality of oil and customer service, the best I've ever dealt with. Go ahead and order 5wt and 7wt. If 5 proves too thin experiment with custom blends.

http://www.maximausa.com/products/suspension/forkfluid.asp

_MK

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.