Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Never enough time to ride
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got to work on Thursday and there's this beuatiful blue Lemond Versailles sitting in my stand...but something didn't look quite right.

On closer inspection and a little investigation, I discovered that the meat head had attached a child carrier/seat thingy to it. Well the pictures will tell the rest of the story.

Man the crap you see in a shop some days, who in their right mind mounts one of those stupid things on a competition frame???:confused: :confused: :madman: :rolleyes:

happy trails...

squish

Attachments

·
Time flies...
2,206 Posts
I was at a Trek demo thing today and was listening to one of the Trek buttmonkeys giving his sales pitch about how much 'stronger' CF is than aluminum...how much more 'abuse' it could take...
I realize some of the attributed carbon, but what he was spewing to these poor people just about made me sick...

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
. . . and his excuse was " I was JRA, with my 36lb 18 month old on the back, when this happened . . ."

"The warranty will cover that, right?"

I bet this is the real reason for those Highline? stays breaking a few years back. Child carriers.

·
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TLL said:
. . . and his excuse was " I was JRA, with my 36lb 18 month old on the back, when this happened . . ."

"The warranty will cover that, right?"

I bet this is the real reason for those Highline? stays breaking a few years back. Child carriers.
I was actually surprised, there was no warranty dicussion, but he was wondering what it would cost to repair it...

His comment when I told him it couldn't be repaired, "well how come it can't be welded or patched or something." I'd say probably not the sharpest tool in the shed!

And I'm with Miles and CC the tripl and the pedals have got to go. I don't even run a triple on my Cross Check, but I do run a compact:D I'm not that big of a stud!

happy trails...

squish

·
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmmm, interesting...

What do they charge for repair work? This may be a very realistic option for this guy. He can't afford a new frame, but he loves his bike.

Did you notice any change in the way the frame rode or felt when they were done?

happy trails...

squish

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,368 Posts
squish said:
Hmmm, interesting...

What do they charge for repair work? This may be a very realistic option for this guy. He can't afford a new frame, but he loves his bike.

Did you notice any change in the way the frame rode or felt when they were done?

happy trails...

squish
Mine was a fix to the chainstays, just behind the BB.

Here's the link to Calfee's repair page. Looks like around $300 + paint (~$50) to repair the stays.

·
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm thinking your right CC, I didn't pull the wheel but I wasn't the first one to touch it. Who knows.

happy trails...

squish

·
It's carbon dontcha know.
4,551 Posts
I didn't like to presume after seeing the photos of the damage they'd managed to do to their frame and then asked about having it welded :D

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
xjbebop said:
I was at a Trek demo thing today and was listening to one of the Trek buttmonkeys giving his sales pitch about how much 'stronger' CF is than aluminum...how much more 'abuse' it could take...
I realize some of the attributed carbon, but what he was spewing to these poor people just about made me sick...
CF does have a higher strength to weight ratio with longer fatigue life than any other material including aluminum. You can't make a sub kilogram frame from aluminum that would hold up around the block much less thousands of road miles. CF rides MUCH nicer as well. What's the problem?

In this particular case, I guarantee if you took the a similar weight aluminum bike with ultra thin tin-can tubing and strapped the trailer to it, you would have seen a similar failure.

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
squish said:
I was actually surprised, there was no warranty dicussion, but he was wondering what it would cost to repair it...

His comment when I told him it couldn't be repaired, "well how come it can't be welded or patched or something." I'd say probably not the sharpest tool in the shed!

And I'm with Miles and CC the tripl and the pedals have got to go. I don't even run a triple on my Cross Check, but I do run a compact:D I'm not that big of a stud!

happy trails...

squish
Why didn't you thougth of chewing gum? cheap, sticky, ugly, but it will hide those cracks for about 5 yards....

·
i can't type the letter s
1,096 Posts
squish said:
So I got to work on Thursday and there's this beuatiful blue Lemond Versailles sitting in my stand...but something didn't look quite right.

On closer inspection and a little investigation, I discovered that the meat head had attached a child carrier/seat thingy to it. Well the pictures will tell the rest of the story.

Man the crap you see in a shop some days, who in their right mind mounts one of those stupid things on a competition frame???:confused: :confused: :madman: :rolleyes:
Not to throw my wife under the bus on this one, but it's funny, in an "aw shucks honey, you aren't thinking real straight here are you?" kinda way.

When we travel anywhere I usually take 4 bikes, we take my RFX, we take the Yeti AS-X (a little crossover yes, but super plush on the DH shuttle days), we take my wife's squish comfort bike, and we take a beater Giant with the baby seat strapped to the back of the seatstays. She wants to know why we can't just take the comfort bike and the RFX and strap the baby seat to the RFX?? She may have a point with crossover on the ASX (although she has no idea) but I have to chuckle in horror at the notion of strapping the baby seat to the RFX.

I just have to say, she's not stupid she's just ignorant. And don't tell her I just said that. :p

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.