Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
Keep things simple
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If there was a way to discuss this bike back in the day. I wonder what the comments would be in today’s world?
All the ingredients are for the never ending words on flats, type of propulsion, handelbar type, tires, the list goes on.

Attachments

· Registered
1,174 Posts
It's interesting how they used two chains and I'm trying to imagine how a freehub would work with the chain coming from the motor, unless it was fixed and you just had to pedal like hell, LOL. If it's a homespun job it's kind of impressive. Any idea on when it was made? Like what era are we talking?

· Registered
Keep things simple
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Needs a dropper."

So true.

I wonder if it still runs? Did they have a price tag on it?
No price on it. No details from the store as the young attendant was at a loss for any answers to questions.

Reactions: Nat

· Registered
19,742 Posts
Looks like a modernish version of what used to be called a motorbike. Strangely no one took offense to that term and they eventually evolved into the superbikes and Harley choppers we know today.

· Registered
Keep things simple
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Reminds me of the bike Big Jake’s son had in the John Wayne movie “Big Jake”.

· Administrator
12,492 Posts
I thought it might be a whizzer but it is not, they were more integrated but it is just a kit added to a cruiser bike

I remember pre-ebikes in Arizona there was a huge push in these chainsaw and lawnmower powered bikes and scooters, it was enough that the local city council had to provide speed limitations for them on city streets as kids were building them from old bikes and could easily go 40mph plus and they were dying crashing at intersections. I think the breaking point was when someone crashed into a pedestrian and killed them, though that might be a different case. Either way eventually all the little companies that sprung up making bikes out of old cruiser that could go 40mph or more with only a coaster brake to stop them went out of business and I think the majority of the bikes and scooters went away as the users had their bikes confiscated or impounded for speeding and use over the speed limit. Spooky tooth cycles was the last of the companies when i left AZ and it looks like they are either out of business or just dormant, especially since you can buy one of these kits on amazon now.

· Wanna ride bikes?
12,620 Posts
There's a spectacular museum in Birmingham Alabama primarily dedicated to motorcycles, many of them very early examples. They were no more than bicycles with engines like this one. Pretty cool to see.

(sorry for the serious post)

· Administrator
12,492 Posts
There's a spectacular museum in Birmingham Alabama primarily dedicated to motorcycles, many of them very early examples. They were no more than bicycles with engines like this one. Pretty cool to see.

(sorry for the serious post)
Sure when you consider that bicycles were the first vehicles which people used after horse and carriage and then that fact that the internal combustion engine came into being it was an easy transition for sure. I think these old whizzers are neat and certainly motorcycles represent a much more efficient way of getting around vs. getting one person a 2T of steel and glass but damn if I would drive a motorcycle on city streets, just asking to be maimed or killed by some person on their phone.

· Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
19,019 Posts
Sure when you consider that bicycles were the first vehicles which people used after horse and carriage and then that fact that the internal combustion engine came into being it was an easy transition for sure. I think these old whizzers are neat and certainly motorcycles represent a much more efficient way of getting around vs. getting one person a 2T of steel and glass but damn if I would drive a motorcycle on city streets, just asking to be maimed or killed by some person on their phone.
Ha ha, so true and yet some of us even ride our motorless bicycles on the road. 🙀
=sParty

· Administrator
12,492 Posts
Ha ha, so true and yet some of us even ride our motorless bicycles on the road. 🙀
=sParty
Yeah me too, I commute a lot (well did before the current dystopia) but I spent most of my time on back roads and MUP's so it makes cars less of an issue though there still are the triathletes in the aerobars on the MUP, escooters, bike shares, walkers with earphones, and random dogs that need to be dodged but I will take all those vs. 2T of distracted teen driven death any day.

· Registered
534 Posts
It's interesting how they used two chains and I'm trying to imagine how a freehub would work with the chain coming from the motor, unless it was fixed and you just had to pedal like hell, LOL. If it's a homespun job it's kind of impressive. Any idea on when it was made? Like what era are we talking?
I'm surprised you haven't seen one of these before. They are colloquially known as 'DUI cycles' and tweakers love them. There are dozens in my county, all being ridden without regard to safety. This example is a bit better nicer than most I've seen, but it's neither old nor rare. It's a conversion kit, available on eBay. Usually 50-80cc 2 strokes.

You pedal it to start the motor, then the motor starts driving it and the freewheel lets the cranks stay stationary.

· Administrator
12,492 Posts
I'm surprised you haven't seen one of these before. They are colloquially known as 'DUI cycles' and tweakers love them. There are dozens in my county, all being ridden without regard to safety. This example is a bit better nicer than most I've seen, but it's neither old nor rare. It's a conversion kit, available on eBay. Usually 50-80cc 2 strokes.

You pedal it to start the motor, then the motor starts driving it and the freewheel lets the cranks stay stationary.
Oh yeah I think we called them that in AZ too. This is effectively a DYI moped. Pedal if you need to but mostly pedal to start, hang on as you throttle, and then hope you can stop.

11,365 Posts
All the ingredients are for the never ending words on flats, …
The pedals or the rear tire?

Yeah I've seen a few around my area. Popular down by the beach, and your description of the preferring demographic is pretty spot-on.

Also, the chain ring looks like a brake rotor with teeth.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.