Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a home made headset press. I saw a thread here of a press made of a cutting board and would like to make one for myself.

Can you guys help me build my item list?

Thanks

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
I just went down to HomeDepot and bought a carriage bolt and a handful of washers wider than the headset/headtube. Just make sure to buy a nice wide bolt. It makes things a bit easier.

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
One thing about that link. It's good advice, but I'd suggest two small changes.

Cup removal: Forget about the Al rod. Use a piece of copper tubing just big enough to fit into the cups and headtube. Cut an inch..inch and a half slice down the center of one end of the copper tube. Now slightly pry them apart so they spead a bit. Now put the uncut end through cup you'd like to remove and up through the headtube. Once the cut end comes through the cup it will catch (since it's slightly spread). Now hammer away. Copper is softer than Al so you'll have less chance of damaging your frame. You can also use PVC instead of copper, but have enough length, because this stuff breaks easily.

Race removal: Stick w/ a blunt screwdriver. A chisel will damage the race. And it's hard to remove these with "gental" taps. A couple of good wacks on each side should do it.

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For the removal I made the tool from an old handlebar, sliced one end in four sections. This can also be done with PVC but already had the bar at hand.

Thanks for the suggestions, all are really good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.