Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thinking about what is it I see up ahead that makes me unclip and wanted to see what everyone else was doing.

For me it is:

Long stretches of sand

Big uphills with multiple stumps.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Falling. Other than that, I pretty much stay clipped in all the time. When you're cleats wear in and you gain the muscle memory of twisting the heel outward, there's no reason to clip out...well unless you're on some real gnar, skinnies, or big jumps. Then I would probably have flats anyway.

·
Registered
290 Posts
x2 for falling.
I see no advantage to clipping out for technical sections....why give myself less control when I most need it? Stay in until you absolutely need to bail.

Edit: I ride eggbeaters.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I find staying clipped in for the steep climbs helps a lot more than it hurts.

I used to unclip for skinnies/log rides but the past couple rides I have done them all clipped in and haven't had any issues. Occasionally I will need to clip out and throw a leg out for balance but that's about it.

Oh, and falling of course. Been a while since I've had a good crash though. (knock on wood)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Everytime I unclip, I curse myself for doing so. +1 on not wanting to unclip on tech stuff, thats where you need control the most.....that being said, I was riding skinnies this weekend and had to bail and I magically unclipped in the air. I tend to be unclipped by the time I hit the ground whenever I fall. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Please put the your pedals on here when you answer if you don't mind, so I can see what everyone is using.
Currently Crank Bro Smarty POS
waiting on
Shimano PD540s coming this week.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Eggbeaters....I unclip in the midst of horrible falls...otherwise, stay clipped in.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If I feel myself lean in too much on a tight turn, falls/crashes or if I hit a stump or rock with my foot. So two accidentals and one intentional/instinctual but I don't think my area is very technical. There's one area my buddies and I absolutely cannot get up without walking the bike. Same for the more experienced guy I've seen try it.

Shimano M520s

·
Registered
832 Posts
Phillygui said:
that being said, I was riding skinnies this weekend and had to bail and I magically unclipped in the air. I tend to be unclipped by the time I hit the ground whenever I fall. :thumbsup:
I had the same thing happen to me lol. I was on a skinny about 2-1/2 feet up and hit my handbars on a nearby tree. By some miracle I fell off the bridge and landed with both tires and one foot. My friend said it looked like I meant to do it :)

BTW I'm running Time ATAC aliums

·
Registered
293 Posts
Stopping/falling is the only time I clip out. I really don't feel comfortable riding not clipped in.

On my ride Sunday, I lost a cleat screw in my left shoe. It was really difficult clipping out as the cleat would stay in the pedal and rotate on the sole of my shoe. I had to turn my foot almost 90 degrees to unclip. Might as well bolt my foot to the pedal. It made for an interesting ride back to the car.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
I've been riding SPDs for a few years now. When I am trying out new tires, I will sometimes go around a corner fast, and unclip the inside foot, and take it off the pedal, so that when I find the limits of the tire, and it begins to slide out, I am still able to stay in control.

·
Is that Bill rated?
440 Posts
Depends on the pedal

For Eggbeaters I unclip if I hit a rock with my pedal which is very rare. For Shimano going around corners, pedaling, going over logs, in short just about anywhere that I am not coasting in a straight line there is always the possibility that I will unclip and it's not because I want to. I have had horrible experiences with Shimano pedals, regardless of cleat position and retention settings I seem to have a knack for blowing my feet out of their pedals. On Speedplays not being clipped in often caused me to 'clip out'. The one time I used Time pedals nothing made me clip out, not even my friend twisting my foot as I lay trapped.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Still need help on this

Might be a good place to ask. On Crank Bros Smartys what do I look at to see if they are 15 or 20? Here is a pic of the cleats.
Thanks.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.