Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Back at it and LOVIN' it!
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into platform pedals and there are so many out there that seem similar but are they that different? They all serve the same purpose but of course some doing it better than others - Why is one better than another? Has anybody had the oppurtunity to ride multiple sets and give a reason they liked one over the other?

I've looked at:

Shimano DX - These seem to be the highly touted original...are they still worthy and why?

The Azonics - A-Frame and Pooky - Is there a difference in performance?

The Sunlines - 2 and 3 - Can't tell a difference at all here?

Just trying to understand pedals better before spending the dough - Thanks!

·
i also unicycle
2,043 Posts
shape of the pedal and placement of pins is a biggie. for riding that involves the need for platforms i've always liked the largest, concave, highly pinned pedals i could get. i want to be able to mess something up, catch the side of my heel on the corner of the pedal and still ride it out. some people don't like the "clipped in" feel some pedals like that can provide but i like it.

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
"Caged(sealed)bearings or lose bearings..."

Caged bearings aren't sealed, they're..well..caged. They're not sealed any differently to loose bearings, they're just supported in a cage-type retainer (like this). Most commonly found in low to mid-range headsets, but never, as far as I know, in pedals. I presume that it is sealed cartridge bearings (like this) that you are actually referring to.

·
REALLY?
2,098 Posts
Something else to factor in is the curvature of the pedal, some pedals are concaved to fit the ball of your foot better and some are complately flat. When you get down to it, no quality pedal is really better then another, but more has to do with the rider, there riding style, and personal preferences in determining what pedal is best for them.

concaved

flat

·
Registered
223 Posts
SteveUK said:
"Caged(sealed)bearings or lose bearings..."

Caged bearings aren't sealed, they're..well..caged. They're not sealed any differently to loose bearings, they're just supported in a cage-type retainer (like this). Most commonly found in low to mid-range headsets, but never, as far as I know, in pedals. I presume that it is sealed cartridge bearings (like this) that you are actually referring to.
I was thinking about that after i posted. Sorry, you are right. That is what i meant.

·
Super Moderator
3,267 Posts
stubs179 said:
Caged(sealed)bearings or lose bearings. And cast or billet. Those are usualy the main diffs. I would go with caged and billet.
Cast, billet or extruded I think....
I like the idea behind pins with a 'hex base' on them, not set screws alone....Seem less likely to rip out
CDT

Edit : Like this ---

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.