Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I am kinda curious as to why you bought a Yeti bicycle. Was it the price, customer service,... you get the picture. The reason that I want to know is that I just recently ( about a month ago ) bought an 04 Trek Liquid 10 and love it. But I just barely rode a Yeti 575 and its the greatest bike I have ridden. I don't know if I should just wait and ride my Liquid for a few years and then get a Yeti or maybe sell it or trade it in and get a 575 immediately. My Trek is awesome but that Yeti I rode was amazing to say the least. If any of y'all have any suggestions on what I should do, let me know.

Your input is greatly appreciated!!

But first of all, I'd like to know why you got your Yeti.

Thanks for your input!

·
Young, Shawn Young
3,165 Posts
I spent about 6 months researching different bikes and was about to purchase the 5 spot when I came across the 575. I really love this bike for the weight/cost/specs ratio. The real cincher is when you get this bike on the trails and discover what a genius you are for buying this bike. Ive never test ridden the 5 spot but I cant imagine it getting any better than my 575. Some things are hard to describe in writing and I think this ride is one of them,

Shawn

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I had wanted a Yeti since the early 90's, I thought it was the coolest bike company around. I could not afford one at the time so I named my golden retriever Yeti. In the mid 90's I moved to Durango for 2 years and used to visit the old Yeti shop often. I got out of MTBing for years and bought a Klein a year and a half ago and got back into riding. At a point last winter I thought to myself that I can finally get a Yeti. Though not the same as what Yeti used to be under John Parker and having changed hands a couple of times I really wasn't sure what the company was all about these days.

Well I pulled the trigger and ordered an ASR-SL and got it in March, it is an awesome bike and every now and then I take my friend with me riding, his name is Yeti II. Yeti the 1st was killed by a car 3 miles away from the old Yeti factory in Durango.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yetis are special. I had known of the company from the early days, but never had much interest until I happened upon an ASR-SL in the LBS. It was beautiful. It was different somehow.

When shops started clearing out Kokopellis, I really wasn't in the market for a new bike, but I jumped on the chance to own at Yeti at an affordable price. I'm very glad I did. The bike has been teriffic. I enjoy riding it more than and other bike I've ever thrown a leg over.

·
Young, Shawn Young
3,165 Posts
I got the race disc Yeti for 2400 bucks which I think is pretty damn good. The shop took the race disc off a medium and put it on the large frame that just had the disc setup. The only thing they forgot was to switch the seatpost which is no biggie.

Shawn

·
Registered
Ibis Ripley V4
226 Posts
I have a Turner XCE and, through various upgrades, had enough parts to build up another bike. I only needed a frame and a few small parts.

I considered building up a bike for my wife, but she assured me that was not a good use of funds. I then thought about building up a bike mainly for sale, just to get rid of all the parts in one shot. Through my research in the vein, I came across the 575. Now I'm going to end up selling the Turner.

Having ridden both bikes back to back I am shocked at how similar they are. The 575 is lighter and has 25% more travel but climbs as well if not better but they feel very similar on the trails. I am especially impressed with the 575 on tight, rolling single track. I expected the XCE to be much better on this type of trail, but they both handle beautifully.

Good luck,
David

·
www.yetifan.com
722 Posts
Hmmm, always coveted one, from seeing the racers, the reviews, and then the prices!

finally in 93 I managed to get lucky and buy an ARC. and the rest, as they say is history, I currently have 7 of the beauties, and love every one.

www.yetifan.com is my tribute to Yeti cycles, from the good old days, to the new cutting edge, awesome bikes of today.

Thanks for the ride for the past 12 years, and the reason I have no cash! but a big smile all day, every day.

andrew.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It all started with this cool little ad in MBA in '89 and this sideview drawing of the original FRO. That really got my interest and then when Yeti and MBA got together to create the Ultimate I was hooked! I got mine from the CA factory a short time later.

What a beast of a bike. Amazing, nimble and unbelievebly strong. I raced it for 3 years and beat that bike mercillessly.

Great Bike!

The seatpost area cracked (design was changed after my model) and I drove it to Durango and they fixed it.

Great customer service!

When I raced the Iron Horse I stopped by to asked to borrow a h/s wrench and their team mechanic and she went through my ride COMPLETELY. The next day every lap they cheered me and waved!

Great People!

I went on to get a ProFRO and raced it for a year until my back said enough. I ride for fun now and until a few months ago the FRO was as strong as ever. Now it rests in honor on my wall waiting to be restored possibly. With all the changes and years gone by I was not really thinking about a new Yeti until I called Seth and talked about frame restoration. They are as friendly and as concerned about quality and the "Yeti Ride" as in the Durango Days, and I found out that the guy who welded my FRO did my new ARC. And my ASR sometime soon I hope...

:D Yeti...same as it ever was....

·
Bike Hoor
675 Posts
For myself, it was mainly because we picked up the Yeti line, and our policy is to ride what we sell... and having not ridden a Yeti, we went that route this year. I have spent lots of time on an ASX and ample time on the 575. The ASX is the bike the Bullit should have been (and I love Bullits, great bikes.. Yeti just took that simple idea and improved it) and the 575 is the sleeper of the year. I like to say that it is Turner quality at Santa Cruz prices. It rides somewhere right in between the Blur and the 5 Spot... climbs like a Blur.. descends like a 5 Spot. They really hit the nail on the head with that bike.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I got one after reading reviews, I was looking into 5 spot, Blur LT, Ellsworth moment.

I started compairing components and bang for the buck, found Yeti gave a great build at a reasonable price,
I got a 2nd Enduro race W/ carbon rear for for my girl for $2799 2 weeks ago, It was the only way to get her off my bike, nows the time to start picking up the 07's at a good price.

I really like the 08 though... They cost a little more this year, that full carbon rear... that black anno... Dayaam... looks hot :madman:

·
Banned
584 Posts
For years I used to read about them in MBA they were the top of the race sceen.Just about every great name in the race sceen came out of Yeti But we could not get our hands on one here in Canada
One day I stoped by a small bike shop here in Toronto and there was a Yeti ARC as Hanging from the Ceiling. I asked the owner what he wanted for the frame,he said he just bought the shop and the frame was in the basement he just brought it up. He hesitated then said give me 400 dollars for it That was back in 1999. Here we are 8 years later and now I have 5 of them

·
Five is right out
3,174 Posts
I spent 5 months agonizing between a blur and a trance, saw a raw 575 frame in a store and bought it the next day. So basically it was an impulse purchase :)

I'm happy though

·
Registered
519 Posts
Wanted one from way back. They were always hideously expensive and hard to get in the uk. I eventually got an ASX(working in the trade helped). It was great but sadly the reality wasn't as good as the dream. My Commencal is a better bike in all respects

·
Registered
338 Posts
I had the money, the AS-RSL was in stock at UC, I had a major biking trip planned, my Klein Adept had just snapped for the 3rd time in the exact place the Yeti looked the strongest. I figure all the forces of the universe were conspiring to put my on that Yeti. Thanks, universe:D

·
Registered
241 Posts
Why I bought a Yeti:

History, small company run by enthusiasts, racing heritage, MTBR board, excellent customer service, various raving reviews, bang for the buck.

Hence, I bought my 575 without ever riding a Yeti. I have never looked back.

·
ColoradoCoolBreeze
679 Posts
At the Fruita Fat Tire Festival I saw my first AS-X hanging on the demo rack. It was luv at first site. Being an Aerospace Mechanical Engineer by trade the bike just spoke to me. My new AS-X frame should be arriving in about a week. I can't wait to build this bike.
STL

·
Registered
10 Posts
Always wanted an ARC since the early 90's when furtado was riding one. Thought it was beautiful but not in a classical way if you know what i mean. They look purposefull, fit for purpose. Then theres the heritage and history, all those riders and titles.
So last year bought a ARC and the reality is as good as i hoped!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts