Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just kind of curious cause I am looking for a new bike and I was wondering what made you guys buy 'your' bike. I mean was it the Specialized name, price, amazing feel, components.....etc. I just would like to know.
Thanks All

PS. Any thought on a FSR XC Pro? Looking for first real mtn bike and want an All Mountain bike. About 1500 or less. Thanks

·
Registered
392 Posts
In the big picture, I got my 03 Enduro because of its reputation, and the satisfaction I've found from other Specialized owners regarding Warranty and Quality. Now the icing on the cake was getting it for $1000 brand new

·
Registered
95 Posts
Why did I choose to buy Specialized,..??

Well, for about 4 months prior to my purchase, I did a lot of research, (consumer reviews), company background investigation, P&L, past year end reports, their degree of customer satisfaction, warranty issues, number of product re-calls, internal company research and development, and their comittment to building a superior product.

Before that, I tried and test rode many different manufacturers bikes, Giant, Gary Fisher, Trek, Cannondale, Raleigh and others.Then, after comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges, I myself felt Specialized was the hands down winner in my book.

Now, don't get me wrong, there are many fine quality mountain bike manufacturers out there, and while there are just as many different likes and dislikes when it comes to an individuals preference when it comes their choice of what to purchase, I can only speak for myself and I chose Specialized.

Lifetime frame warranty, excellent customer satisfaction ratings, limited Specialized used bikes for resale, (consumer loyality, and people evidently keep their Specialized bikes for many years), quality in each and every Specialized bicycle, quality components used, a name recognized worldwide, Specialized "Body Geometry", a comittment to continual research and development, the quality in all Specialized products, from their tire levers, helmets, shoes and clothing, to their "S-Works" bikes, the company's support for professional bicyclists, etc,...etc,...etc,...!

(I could ramble on and on about my feelings for Specialized)

Needless to say, I am a die-hard Specialized fan, the company has my utmost respect and admiration, so much so, that I not only chose to purchase and ride a 2004 Rockhopper Comp, (which IMHO is a fantastic hard-tail), I also bought a 2004 Hardrock Sport Womens for my daughter and a 2004 Hardrock XC for my son. We ride together every weekend, and we all thoroughly enjoy riding together, and we are very proud of our bikes.(we call ourselves,.."Team Specialized"),...*S*

In closing, everyone has different tastes, likes and dis-likes, ergo the number of different bike manufacturers. Specialized may not be the bike of choice for some, and for others it may be the "Holy Grail" of bicycles. But for me, I will always choose Specialized products, and my bike of choice will always be a Specialized.

"nuff said,..?"

Ol' DirtDawg

·
Super Moderator
20,808 Posts
Oh... my Epic....

For years I had drooled over Specialized's XC FSR bikes. Quality, looks... you name it... I love it all...This year I finally had the opportunity to get one. I went to the local dealer to look at an Epic but bikes here in Europe are really expensive (when compared to the US), so i figured... I get somebody to buy one for me in the US... or I get it from ebay....to make a long story short, I found a prestine state 2003 Epic Comp frame about three months ago. I originally build it with the parts from my old Trek 8000 (everything fitted like a glove). However I thought the Epic deserved better... two weeks ago I bought a complete XT gruppo with disc brakes......... I love it........ Specialized rules.......... The bike is fast, reponsive and the geometry is incredible.

I had tried other Spec bikes: Rockhopper and Stumpy HTs and my dad's Rockhopper FSR before I got my Epic and they all handle great....

I recommend Specialized time and time again.

Sorry about the long story..... :eek:

Keep ridin' :D

-Cris

·
Registered
272 Posts
I bought a Specialized because of the four-bar, which, from reviews just seemed like the best riding, best climbing, plushest suspension out there. They also bring a great component group for a great price. I have always liked SPecialized's component packages.
For $1400 i would get a base model Stumpjumper which would be a big upgrade over the FSRXC

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Bought my first one because of the value. Did my research, narrowed it down to a couple bikes and went and test rode them. The Stumpy HT won. Then I went to an Enduro and now an Epic. I still think they have the best value for the dollar. I got to test their warranty policy with the Enduro and I was impressed. Unfortunately, they replaced my '00 Enduro with an '02. I liked the 00 frame better for the riding I do. But... gave me the excuse to look at and ultimately buy an Epic. Got one for my wife, too.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
I asked

a lot of people, test rode lots of bikes (the Fisher Cake, Trek Liquid), talked to trusted guys at my LBS, and read a ton of "Ask R.C." questions on the MB Action website. This website gave me a ton of insight, including horror stories concerning the runner up, the Jamis xlt. Everything pointed to the Speciliazed Enduro, which is perfect for me. I used to ride a Trek Fuel, and this is better in every way (granted it's designed to be a different sort of bike).

·
Gravity Rides Everything
1,126 Posts
bang for the buck.....
Horst 4 bar suspension
reputation for fast warranty service
the shear number of oooold FSR bikes I see on trails and in the shop in good working condition....
the more i ride it the more i like it...

I got an 03 enduro btw...

·
Registered
1,812 Posts

'03 Bighit Comp: price (poor student), reputation, all the good stuff that is said about S, lifetime warranty on frame, great frame (can be built as a trail bike or freerider and it is a 4bar), balance of geometrical proportion, and the most important: color! Red bikes are faster. I say go with S and you won't be dissapointed. Below is my lovely ride...

P.S. I have a buddy who did unbeleivable drops and stunt riding on my eyes, and the frame asked for more with a smile. Keep in mind he is 250lbs.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Guys...This is awesome. It is helping me out with getting a new bike and to hear all about why you got the bike you did and the awesome report from Ol'DirtDawg! That was very helpful and I appreciate what you and all you guys have written so far, and hope that the thread will continue!!

Thoughts on an '04 FSR SX Pro??
I am Considering it!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Experience

geddy2112 said:
I am just kind of curious cause I am looking for a new bike and I was wondering what made you guys buy 'your' bike.
Experience with the brand. I've owned three Specialized rigs and this is what I've learned:

1) They honor warrantees and stand behind their products. Specialized provides quick turnaround if a warrantee replacement is required.

2) Their designs and constructions are great, often surpassing the quality boutique brands. I know, as I have owned Merlin, Litespeed, Ellsworth and Santa Cruz bikes; Specialized definitely exceeds the quality of the last two I mentioned.

3) They are reasonably priced, especially considering the high quality of the bikes.

Like a lot of companies with a large number of products, occasionally, Specialized will come out with a dud (the older Specialized cranksets come to mind). But 2004 was a great year for the Specialized product line.

I am a loyal customer provided that the brand consistently provides quality products. IMHO, Specialized does this. In case you are wondering, I own an '04 Specialized S-Works Enduro. Soon I plan to sell my Merlin road frame and buy an '05 Roubaix.

·
Ride lots...
891 Posts
endurowanker said:
bang for the buck.....
Horst 4 bar suspension
reputation for fast warranty service
the shear number of oooold FSR bikes I see on trails and in the shop in good working condition....
the more i ride it the more i like it...

I got an 03 enduro btw...
I couldn't have said it better myself. I did a lot of research while saving the $$, and Specialized offers a great value. I got an '04 Enduro Expert.

In response to your other question, my dad got an FSR XC Pro about a month ago and loves it. A great bike for $1100.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I've had 5 Stumpjumper hardtails dating back to before they even had front suspension forks, and have had a 2004 Stumpjumper FSR Comp for about a month now. I'm right between a medium and large size in that bike, so it could be argued that some other bike might have fit me better (I bought a medium).

In the end, a certain amount of brand loyalty but mostly the incredible value this bike offers compared to others in its class made me choose the bike I did. For $1600 I got a bike with $800 worth of state of the art (for my purposes anyway) Fox shocks, a very light, very stiff, plush, proven 4-bar FS frame design and a nice component spec. No other manufacturer is offering this nice of a bike for this price.

The FSR XC is supposed to be a good value as well- it has Specialized older (pre-2004) XC type rear linkage that they used for several years. I personally think the new Stumpjumper FSR frame is a big improvement (much beefier, not much heavier) and worth the extra money, but if you are not a large person the FSR XC would probably serve you well.

I am curious that others are suggesting an Enduro- given that you are considering an FSR XC it seems like you are more cross country oriented. The Enduro is by all accounts a great bike, but will be significantly heavier than the FSR XC or Stumpjumper FSR.

Lucky13 said:
For 1500$ you would be better buying Enduro as an all mountain bike. The base 2003 model can be had for 1000$ now, so for 1500$ you can step up and get Comp or something like that. Or just buy 2004.

·
Registered
222 Posts
fit

I think big s understands standover is something to be generous with and for me (short-legged 5'10") a medium enduro fits perfect. Rocky, Titus, Kona, SC to name a few would bump me up to a larger frame based upon TT length, like a 19" ST, with high standover height. I think their designers make sure that their product line is versatile and fits more riders better than many other brands.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.