Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just kind of curious cause I am looking for a new bike and I was wondering what made you guys buy 'your' bike. I mean was it the GF,Trek, Klein name, price, amazing feel, components.....etc. I just would like to know.
Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
geddy2112 said:
I am just kind of curious cause I am looking for a new bike and I was wondering what made you guys buy 'your' bike. I mean was it the GF,Trek, Klein name, price, amazing feel, components.....etc. I just would like to know.
Thanks
GF X-Caliber 29'er.....loved the way the big wheels made the bike handle.

·
Registered
32 Posts
geddy2112 said:
Thanks
GF Cake 2DLX: the ride and feel of this bike is amazing. Further to that, GF's passion for inovations is what has fascinated me. But the combination of good parts, technology and perfect service from my LBS were definitely the reasons to go with GF

·
2,548 Posts
geddy2112 said:
Thanks
After test riding several FS bikes (and re-test riding...and re-test riding...heh) it came down to the fact that the Fuel just plain felt "right" to me...and still does - it's gonna be a sad day when Trek replaces the Fuel and eventually stops stocking replacement bushings.....but, until then, it's all very good !!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've owned so many treks that I honestly don't remember the last bike that I owned that wasn't a trek. At any rate, I bought mine because of ride quality, reputation and past experiences. The components load didn't mean much to me because I tore it down eventually and rebuilt it. Anyway, a trek is a good investment. Alot of people who drop crap on trek do so because they are either being very snobbish about a cheaper bike then their stupidly priced higher end models that perform as well or they have used a xc bike for trail or free ride use. Gotta learn to kinda read between the lines on some, but thats the main reasons people don't like trek.

Bottom line trek is quite a good bike and should seriously be looked into.

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
I liked the Cake's features (5" with SPV both ends, 2004 XT...), geometry, weight and it looks good in my opinion. I wanted a different bike than what I used to ride (super light racing bikes) and tought the Cake would be a great choice for the hard trails I ride most of the time. I was right, the bike is a joy to ride and has made me a lot faster in the downhills without slowing me down much going uphill. Oh and I had a very good price on the 1_DLX.

I never been too excited about Trek/Fisher bikes before but, I don't know why, this bike seemed very interesting to me. I love it but I don't think I'll keep it for too long. I've had more bugs and problems with it than all my other bikes in the last 10 years. Some are not related with Trek/Fisher but overall, I think it's very far from being the best-constructed/assembled bike I've seen. It's probably my last Trek/Fisher product. Sorry guys, it was a short relationship... Anybody wants a Cake 1_DLX 17.5"?

·
Registered
75 Posts
It's a shame..

that you had a bad experience with your Cake. I considered getting a Cake this year but was turned off after all the bad things I heard about the bikes. I believe the Cake to be a great bike, and after a couple years of production, I think a lot of the problems that people are experiencing will be worked out.

I have a Liquid 25, and my first mountain bike was a Trek 4900. I love Treks, and I really don't know why. Only thing I can say is that they feel right.

Quick Question: Dan, did you try out a Liquid 55 while shopping for your Cake???

-Bob

Dan Gerous said:
I liked the Cake's features (5" with SPV both ends, 2004 XT...), geometry, weight and it looks good in my opinion. I wanted a different bike than what I used to ride (super light racing bikes) and tought the Cake would be a great choice for the hard trails I ride most of the time. I was right, the bike is a joy to ride and has made me a lot faster in the downhills without slowing me down much going uphill. Oh and I had a very good price on the 1_DLX.

I never been too excited about Trek/Fisher bikes before but, I don't know why, this bike seemed very interesting to me. I love it but I don't think I'll keep it for too long. I've had more bugs and problems with it than all my other bikes in the last 10 years. Some are not related with Trek/Fisher but overall, I think it's very far from being the best-constructed/assembled bike I've seen. It's probably my last Trek/Fisher product. Sorry guys, it was a short relationship... Anybody wants a Cake 1_DLX 17.5"?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought my 2004 Klein Attitude V mainly because of the frame. I wanted a hardtail and wanted to stay within the "trek" umbrella.

I have always been a fan of hardtails so after comparing all models, the klein attitude was my choice, and i have no regrets.

top notch frame
internal cable routing
amazing paint job
excellent components / price

and also it's "different". I see GF's and Treks all the time, and they are great bikes and i love them. But, i wanted something a lil more unique, so Klein was it.

Lovin it!

Steven

·
Politically Incorrect
100 Posts
My first real mtn bike was a Trek 850 that I got mostly because my Uncle was working with the dealer and was able to get me a good discount.
After 3 years I wanted to upgrade to a nicer hardtail and was pretty much set on a Specialized Stumpjumper or Schwinn Homegrown. The Schwinn felt really heavy and uncomfortable, and the Stumpjumper was priced about 15% more than comparable bikes from other brands. It just so happened that when I was looking the LBS has Trek 8000's on sale for $300 off. I took a test ride and it just felt right, so I got it.
I stuck with Trek on my current ride, a Fuel, for a couple of reasons. I have had great dealer and manufacterer support on both my previous Treks, the Fuel had the best spec in its price range, it seems like all I see on the local trails are Specialized and I wanted to be different, and mostly because it just felt right (probably because its geometry is so close to my old 8000)..

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
bobmono said:
that you had a bad experience with your Cake. I considered getting a Cake this year but was turned off after all the bad things I heard about the bikes. I believe the Cake to be a great bike, and after a couple years of production, I think a lot of the problems that people are experiencing will be worked out.

I have a Liquid 25, and my first mountain bike was a Trek 4900. I love Treks, and I really don't know why. Only thing I can say is that they feel right.

Quick Question: Dan, did you try out a Liquid 55 while shopping for your Cake???

-Bob
I'm not unhappy with it, the ride is actually excellent, I have so much fun on this bike it's sad when a problem occurs. The swingarm pivot is solved, my top tube dent doesn't really matter, now it's just the fork that bugs me.

Altough the Liquid seems like a great bike, at the time I was shopping, I was a crazy climbing machine, for a long time, I would never had considered any bike above 24-25 pounds. In fact I had a 23 pounds racing hardtail and I liked the more XC angles of the Cake more than the geometry of the Liquid. After some time on a 5" travel bike, I like riding differently and I could see myself riding a more "freeride" oriented bike, not a pure freeride bike but, if I can climb on it, it's good. I've always liked Cannondales personnally but I didn't like the Jekylls I don't know why. Now that I have a few informations about the yet unreleased Prophet, I think I'll be going back to Cannondale. You either hate or love these bikes I guess. I love the solid feel of Headshok and Leftys.

·
I like Cake.
109 Posts
In the Hampton/Newport news area of Virginia, we have 3 local bike shops. We have Contes, Bike Beat, and Robert F. Snow and Son Bicycles. The snow bike shop carries mostly very inexpensive entry level bikes, like raleigh which I was not interested. Bike Beat is a Trek Dealer exclusively except for special orders, and Contes carries a variety of brands besides Trek, Cannondale, and Specialized mostly. I went to Bike Beat first, and was impressed by the staff there asking questions about what I was looking for, which was a bigger travel XC or all Mountain bike. They recommended the Cake, or maybe a Trek Liquid, I bought a set of tires that day, which they discounted without me asking for a discount. I went to Contes the next day, when I walked into Contes, the guy behind the counter looked up and let me know they were closing in 10 minutes. So I left.

I went back to Bike Beat, rode about 10 different bikes, including a few Kleins, the Trek fuels, and liquids, a sugar, and all three different cakes. I settled on the Cake 2 DLX because of the ride, and because of the service. They have also been awesome for everything since then as well from me asking for advice on minor tuning, to fixing my loctite issue, to giving advice on actual riding and what trails to try. The guys there are all 3 thumbs up, if you live in VA, do yourself a favor and buy your next bike from them.

Paul

·
Registered
43 Posts
Got my Sugar 4+ at my old bike shop this year mainly because of dependability. I got my first hardtail (a mamba) there when i was around 13 and I loved it til it got stolen. now that I'm back into the mtb scene (I'm 20 now), I wanted something to take the oomph off but felt like a hardtail so the sugar was a no brainer. It felt right as soon as I sat on the saddle being as how I have short legs and a long upper torso. I tried other bikes and they either felt tiny or too big. I was initially looking at a hkek but I don't think I'd like my a$$ to endure pain since I love riding around everywhere. Didn't like specialized or any bikes at one of the bike shops since they carried entry level raleighs and schwinns and gts (man those have really gone to crap haven't they?) so went with my old dealer who's helped me with so many of my annoying questions. and gary fishers are unbeatable for the price imho

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got the GF Cake 3 DLX because ..

... the price for the component level was the best I could find. I started with the Trek name because a friend rides their road bikes and had good experiences. I tried a Trek 800 because of cost and liked the quality. I went to GF when I found out Trek owned them. It made sense they would be good also. Honestly, I knew I shouldn't have bought GF because so many people complain of chain suck on Sugars and Cakes. I had about 10 during my test rides (2 on the Cake 1 and 8 on the 3 DLX I did buy). So why did I buy it? My LBS switched cranks and BB to LX no cost and I couldn't get it to fail in the lot or grass around the shop. The next day I hit a mild single track and had three chains sucks within an hour. Day 2 and I have it back there to try XT derailers in hopes it won't keep doing it. This time I have to pay for the upgrade. Yes, I just bought and there it sits. My $200 Trek 800 hasn't seen as many chain sucks in the past year I have had it. I told myself to heed the warning signs but didn't because I liked the looks and it does ride good except for the chain sucks and poor tires for steep hills. Both are things I read about and still I bought it. No one to blame but me. So, is it GF or FS to blame? Either way, my Trek 800 rode fine today and my $1700 GF Cake 3 DLX sits in the shop. Should have gone with my gut feeling and looked elsewhere ...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Good Deal

geddy2112 said:
Thanks
I bought my Trek 4500 because at $400 it came with some [email protected]$$ componentry for the price. I'm mostly talking about the frame, but the deore R.Derailleur isn't too shabby either. However, I'm a bike builder by nature and that bike is no longer a 4500. I have spent quite a little bit and now the componentry is probly closer to that on an 8000 or better. I picked it for another reason to though. It fit me pretty well. I love it more each day. It is the first bike that has really fit me well. Happy Trails. Mikey42186

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.