Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on chains and cassettes, cause the lube they use seems way better than the stuff they sell at bike shops

thanks

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
depends what brand you're talking about, but many of them are meant more for long term rust prevention during warehousing and sitting for a couple years in a back corner of a bike shop.

In my experience they do feel nice and last pretty well but make terrible real world lubes simply because of how incredibly sticky they are and how quickly the chain can become gritty from all the dirt they pull inside the chain

·
Registered
9 Posts
When I buy bikes, the first thing I do is remove that stuff from the factory. It's like a heavy grease, not practical for riding.

·
Five is right out
3,174 Posts
boomn said:
In my experience they do feel nice and last pretty well but make terrible real world lubes simply because of how incredibly sticky they are and how quickly the chain can become gritty from all the dirt they pull inside the chain
Wiping the lube off the outside of the chain helps with this.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
What I do with Shimano chains:
- wipe the exterior with a rag, maybe even use some WD-40, or equivalent, on the rag (not sprayed on the chain). This leaves the greasy stuff on the insides of the chain.
- apply some non-sticky lube on top. Lately I've been using some waxy stuff.

I don't think cassettes or chainrings should be lubed.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Cassettes and chain rings always seem dry but chains feel like they have cosmoline or similar on them.

I treat a new chain with my preferred lube (Rock n Roll blue) but mostly concentrate on getting the sticky outer lube wiped off at first.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Grease

Usually on a new bike or even chain it is just factory grease. I always wipe it down and put on a quality lube instead. If you don't want your chain to get all gunky wipe down your chain apply the lube wait a min. or 2 and then clean off the excess lube. All the lube you need is inside the chain the rest just picks up dust and dirt when you ride.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts