Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been using a PDW City Rover 700 on my gravel bike for night rides round the hood but I don't really like it. It doesn't get to the 2 hour run time at the full 700 lumens. The low battery indication sucks.

I want to get something that doesn't suck and is bright enough to use on mountain bike night rides in hot and humid Alabama but can get over 2 hours of run time when used on the road/gravel. Trying to stay under $200.

I was thinking about the Ravemen PR2400 but I can't find where to buy it. Is it worth it over a PR1600? Any other suggestions?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

· Registered
61 Posts
I was thinking about the Ravemen PR2400 but I can't find where to buy it. Is it worth it over a PR1600? Any other suggestions?
PR2400 is huge step from PR1600, many improvements and fixing all the flaw from PR1600.
For US source, Merlin cycles suddenly become out of stock, in my local Singapore LBS is also suddenly out of stock.

I don't know the exact terrain of Alabama, what's it's look? Open trail? Dense bush?
MRMOLE have a tested and experienced a lot bike lights than me, so I think he can have more valuable input for your needs.

I will speak here as the owner of PR2400 and soon to be an OL customer too (waiting for BF stuff), so I am trying to be objective as possible from an average customer standpoint.

Beam Pattern

Both of them is have usable beam pattern for trail usage. But since you mentioned road usage, PR2400 is more suitable for that, which have road specific mode with anti glare cut off so it won't dazzle oncoming traffic.

Evo works best with Hangover as helmet setup to create continuous beam pattern in harmony, complementing each other. With PR2400, I still don't have suitable setup for that. Maybe CR1000, but I have tested it. In general, EVO is have wider beam than PR2400.

In raw lumens, both of they should be close around 2000-2200 lumens range. I am never testing my PR2400 with any lighting apparatus, so maybe OL can include PR2400 as testing comparison like they do with NR 2500 Max.

Burn Times

Evo has whopping 36Wh (2 x 5000 mAh 3.6V) vs PR2400 29Wh ( 2 x 4000 mAh 3.6V)
Depending on the mode used, both of them can get over 2 hours runtime operation.
Both of them support external power supply from high amp power bank. Evo has proper sealed cable to used under any weather, wherever PR2400 isn't safe from rain.

Weight

PR2400 is heavy, you want to appreciate Evo more thanks to lightweight magnesium housing. Both of them using dual 21700 cells, which contribute to total weight of the headlight.

Price

PR2400 is around US 170 - US 200 depending you shopping, but currently out of stock in many online shop around the globe. Evo is readily available and more efficient for US resident alike.

Mount

Evo is centered by default, out front position using tripod style cam lock to secure the headlight. PR2400 is clamp style, near stem placement, using tool to tighten securely on the bar. Both of them is quick release, so it's possible to take the headlight with you, leaving the mounting bracket on the bar and allowing easy take out in case of thieves / taken for charging.

Support

Both of them is contactable. But it seems Matt and team much likely getting in back to you faster just in case you need something. In my case, Ravemen support come directly from China, I have ordered some small parts and only paying for requested parts, free shipping.

Other Features

Evo has safety feature to turn into low mode for 20 minutes in any mode, just in case you doesn't carry spare lights, so you can safely out from the woods. Evo also has an adaptive mode, suitable for people who prefer to set and forget, without fussing too much pushing buttons for changing brightness.

PR2400 has accurate digital gauge like fuel tanks on your car, so you can estimate accurately between brightness and runtime you needed. Wireless remote is also very robust in operation compared with PR1600, in a nutshell you can control almost the light modes available within the remote. It's using BLE instead of generic RF, which contribute the responsiveness of control.

· Wanna ride bikes?
12,538 Posts
^ good info there

OP, you don't need to spend a lot of money to get a good light. A simple trick (for longevity) is to simply buy a higher powered light (1000-1500) and run it on Low or Medium instead of buying a 700 and running it on high the whole time.

The biggest factor for singletrack use (to me) is light pattern/distribution. Good optics make a difference offroad. (as opposed to my commuter light which is powerful and cheap ($40 Amazon light with ~1000 lumens but the light pattern would not be ideal offroad, and the mount kind of sucks, but perfectly fine overall for what it needs to do.)

The other thing I highly recommend is two lights. One on the helmet and one on the handlebar.

Do some more searching and reading, there's lots of good threads about lights.

· Registered
3,551 Posts
So I have been using a PDW City Rover 700 on my gravel bike for night rides round the hood but I don't really like it. It doesn't get to the 2 hour run time at the full 700 lumens. The low battery indication sucks.

I want to get something that doesn't suck and is bright enough to use on mountain bike night rides in hot and humid Alabama but can get over 2 hours of run time when used on the road/gravel. Trying to stay under $200.

Are you wanting only self-contained lights? I agree with One Speed that using two lights (bar/helmet) is preferable for MTB riding and I would Imagine Gravel too (though maybe not necessary) but that's your call. You can always add a helmet light later but knowing if your going with 1 or 2 lights will help in figuring out your best light options. Should be no problem finding you something several times as powerful as your current Rover 700 for your $200 budget.
Mole

· Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a NiteRider Lumina 900 I was planning on using as a helmet light.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. One thing my handlebars are steel risers so they are 22.2mm diameter but I'd imagine a shim should work fine to mount the lights right?

· Registered
3,551 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions so far. One thing my handlebars are steel risers so they are 22.2mm diameter but I'd imagine a shim should work fine to mount the lights right?
I could see 22.2 being a problem. I checked one of my Magicshine Garmin mounts with the shortest strap and it worked fine. A few of the QR mounts I tried would work if modified but wouldn't work for larger bars after the necessary modifications. I'm sure you could make anything fit but I would be skeptical how solid a fit you'd be able to get for heavier self-contained lights which is exactly what you'd need to satisfy your runtime requirements. Lighthead/remote battery light setups would work better with your bar size.
Mole

· Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I decided to try out the Outbound Trail (not Evo).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.