Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Done got me a 09 Reign for Xmas. It has 2.35 Nevegals and tubes fitted to its sexy Shimano XT Tubeless hoops. Tyres seem to hook up nicely but weigh a ton with the tubes. Would like to use the tubeless feature of the wheels and drop some rotating weight whilst having a tyre for All mountain "extreme XC" riding.Trails I ride are always dry with mainly packed dirt and some rocks. My previous ride had High Rollers with tubes. 2.35 front, 2.1 rear. Thanks in advance

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Got any pics of the terrain? Usually questions like this are a bit difficult and opinion laden, so to home in, one should likely provide even more info or pictures or both to avoid an "educated crapshoot" as it can easily become.

What tires have worked for you in the past?

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
One of the problems (or limitations) with UST tires is they don't seem to be able to use the same softer rubber compounds that they can in the tubed versions. Sometimes the compound is a bigger factor in grip than that tread pattern or air pressure.

I really liked the grip of the 2.1" Nevegal in Stick-E rubber, when I bought a set of UST wheels I also bought the 2.1" Nevegal UST's but they just couldn't match the Stick-E rubber in the ability to grip wet roots and rocks. They did roll faster, but I think that was as much about rubber compound as anything, as the DTC Nevegals roll faster too. I ended up going back to tubed Stick-E Nevegals on UST wheels to get the grip.

I've been using the Conti Black Chili 2.4" Mountain King Protection version on my 6x6 all mountain bike, and they work very well. They don't offer the Black Chili in the UST version, and with the Conti tires, the Black Chili rubber seems to be the magic ingredient, so I'll be sticking with the tubed Protection version. The MK 2.4's replaced the Nevegal 2.35" Stick E rubber tires on this bike, and they do feel like they roll faster. The 2.35" Nevegals were very slow rolling.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
furious fred or Big betty schwalbes!
Kenda stick E front and a triple rear nevegal works great and if you need more corner dig and tracking modify the front nevegal to a mowhawk pattern. 2nd row in cut every other lug off on both sides works well, I race that set up or did till this seasons change of tire sponsor!
Kendas, Maxxis, Schwalbe, Micheline they are all great tires with stupid strong points on each. Dependent upon the terrain, temp, weather, trials (rocky, sandy, loose over hard, loamy etc.) they all have stong points. If you have a varied terrain and mixture Id go intermediate tire!
- Soft rubber front, triple rear!
- Semi knobs or decent void to shed debris and air down a bit for grip on rocks wet roots etc...

Im running the Big betty rear this season with a Muddy mary front! Should work in most conditions as the muddy marys an intermediate and the rear I drift anywase through corners and berms.

Good luck and pics ofthe new steed!

BTW: Id run the tires you have for a bit, go tubeless! I raced Kendas for 2 years with stans tubeless set up and didnt have a problem even the single plys held up!
With a tubeless rim just add a scoop or 2 of stans and convert them bad boys over!

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Maxxis Advantage

integral said:
Done got me a 09 Reign for Xmas. It has 2.35 Nevegals and tubes fitted to its sexy Shimano XT Tubeless hoops. Tyres seem to hook up nicely but weigh a ton with the tubes. Would like to use the tubeless feature of the wheels and drop some rotating weight whilst having a tyre for All mountain "extreme XC" riding.Trails I ride are always dry with mainly packed dirt and some rocks. My previous ride had High Rollers with tubes. 2.35 front, 2.1 rear. Thanks in advance
Run the standard 2.25 rear and 2.4 upfront. Seal the with Stan's and you've got a super light setup. Get the Maxxpro compound if you can, they last a long time. I had ardents and they wore quickly, the also had an uneasy trait rolling from the center knob to the side knobs, they felt a little wishy-washy.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
craigstr said:
Run the standard 2.25 rear and 2.4 upfront. Seal the with Stan's and you've got a super light setup. Get the Maxxpro compound if you can, they last a long time. I had ardents and they wore quickly, the also had an uneasy trait rolling from the center knob to the side knobs, they felt a little wishy-washy.
What standard 2.25/2.4 are you suggesting? Are you not a fan of the Ardents? Thanks for your reply

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
"Advantage"

The name of the tire is "Advantage" by Maxxis. I had Ardents earlier this summer and didnt like them for the dry, rocky terrain I ride. I like the Advantage much better. I was running the 2.4's on my Giant Glory for the last half of summer and I loved them. They hardly wore at all. I just ordered two more 2.4's for the Knolly Delirium T I am building up. As I explained before, the Ardent's have a very uneasy feeling as you begin to roll the bike over because of the distinct middle and side tread. Here is a link to the tires:
https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=16611&category=190

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.