Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
~~~~~~~~
5,937 Posts
summud said:
anyone know what guards this guys is wearing? , i've been looking for a set and i like the look and minimal design of these?
661 carbon somethings, I think they do a plain plastic version also.
If you don't see them in the mtb section try the moto department on the sixsixone website.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Most moto guards are designed to fit under boots and have pants over them. They also seem more designed to deflect direct impacts(flying rocks, clipping a knee on a rock or tree), not take sliding type falls that are so common in MTB. In my experience, these type of pads more all over without atleast some kind of cover like the 661 knee lock.

I have had great luck with the 661 tomcat/strait pads for trail riding, jumping, and some local EZ DH type riding. For me they are quite comfortable to pedal in and the upper non-stretch strap prevents the pad from sliding down. They have a hard knee cup so they can take a fair hit...the only down side is lack of lower shin coverage..but the larges that I have cover about half of my shin...good enough fo rme. Some guys even full on DH with these type of pads (tld t-bone on sam hill, nathan rennie, etc.

I would LOVE to see these have an 'addable' shin plate for hard days, as they stay up better than any full pad that I have tried. (so far race face DH/FR seem the best for me for a full pad).

Good luck, and try lots of pads if you have the ability in your area.

·
keepin' it rural
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rockgardn landingzone

thanks for the info, im looking at the Rock Gardn Landing Zones as well,(cuase i can get them locally) they are definitely bigger and have more coverage than the carbons, which im not opposed to as long as they are comfortable and dont get in the way, the reviews on mtbr seem to good for them as well, i'll have to try them on and see... thanks again

·
~~~~~~~~
5,937 Posts
at first I thought those pads would only work under pants but I've learned how to get the straps snug now and they are staying on good, even on sliding falls. I'm short so I get better coverage with them than longer legged people would.

I've got several sets of pads and wear whatever suits the occasion, usually I only wear the 661 straight knee pads, and full dh pads for more extreme stuff.

I have beat the crap out of the carbon part of those pads also, lots of chips cracks etc. they got worked fast. But they are light, cool, comfy, good for pedaling.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Only other pad similar looking that comes to mind is the Mace Tectonic, but I don't think that is what the guy in the picture is wearing.

Only place I know that stocks the maces is here in Oz
www.phantomcycles.com.au

I can recommend the Race Face FR pads myself - probably a bit much protection for me (trail / xc kind of stuff) but they are very comfortable to pedal in. Hotter than others but you don't notice after 5 minutes even in 40degC heat. Definitely not a minimalistic pad - closes you will find is something like the 661 Veggies & Troy Lee TBones

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
dogonfr said:
Those are some sweet looking pads :thumbsup:
After the Fox Launch pads didn't work out it was a toss up wether I got the Race Face FR or those Mace Tectonics, I went for the proven & well rated Race Faces (Roach).
I agree though I really do like the look of the Mace & they probably would have worked well. Unfortunately for you guys I think they are primarily available in Australia & the UK? Not sure on that.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
You really think so:sad::bluefrown:

I think phantom will ship overseas:cornut:

But.........it will cost ya :ciappa:

sorry couldn't help myself :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Those moto-carbon pads works very well for AM tipe of riding with lot's of pedaling. They sit in place and soft internal mesh (detacheble so you can wash it) quite comfortable and doesn't irritate the knee.
I had few crashes and pedal slips on those and they worked well. The only issue is that they one size fit (don't) all. at 5'10" I got enough shin protection, but for taller ppls shins will be exposed.
They are very light and well ventilated.

·
keepin' it rural
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
moto carbon vs the Rail knee Shin

i found these pics on the 661 site, it seems (as airwreck mentioned) that the moto carbon and the Rail knee shin are one and the same with the different guard material, and price of course, the construction other than that looks the same.

·
~~~~~~~~
5,937 Posts
here's what mine look like now.
with the straps I found that I need to pull them really tight, they are very stretchy, and then I tuck and wrap the loose leftover strap, which there is a lot of for me.

Attachments

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
they are flashy pads, but i would never put them against my syncros mental pedals, they would no way last. roach dh pads are what im about, they have saved me even from my mean syncros. they are to legite to quit

·
Takw/agranofsalt
3,532 Posts
airwreck said:
here's what mine look like now.
with the straps I found that I need to pull them really tight, they are very stretchy, and then I tuck and wrap the loose leftover strap, which there is a lot of for me.
Wow, someone's been to battle.....:p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.